PDA

View Full Version : Toaster on field for filming?

svbell
10-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Anyone ever used a VT on field when filming live action? I had a very bad experience last week end, while filming with a MiniDV camera. After the filming week end, while being back in the studio, I realized I recorded important footage on a damaged tape, so we ended up with a full hour of footage lost forever.

I am now thinking, in the future, to bring the Toaster right on location, and record the footage in close circuit right from the camera to the video drives, so that we can watch footage as it is being recorded. Is it a good idea? Anyone have some opinion to share about this?

sv

UnCommonGrafx
10-01-2003, 08:23 PM
"God YES!!", is the first thought that comes to mind.
I've done this in the past and you'll look like a genius if it's green screen material.
You would be hard pressed to beat the quality you can get this way.

Yes, take it. That's part of its magic.

PIZAZZ
10-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Definitely do IT!!

Contact me if you need a VERY portable VT solution.

Good Luck!

bbeanan
10-02-2003, 02:00 PM
I do that on all of my events... I bring my toaster out to record the program feed and then ISO record each camera to DVC-Pro, finally as a last ditch saftey I do another program record on SVHS. That way I am covered 10 ways to Sunday.

Jim_C
10-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Remember to bring a UPS/line conditioner with you if you can. Power at shoots can be iffy and you wouldn't want to feed the beast inadequate power, and oh lord if someone trips over a cord while writing to your video drives. Ack! That can be bad.

Always good to be covered 10 or even 11 ways of Sundays..

(anyone know the origin of that phrase? that would be interesting)

djlithium
10-14-2003, 02:43 AM
We do just this with our MoJo system which travels out on set in its own cart and is completely contained. Hook to camera and go. It's not a "standard" toaster system. It's had some tweaks done to it to make it work the way it does for motion control jobs.

http://www.imagecorp.net
Details are in the pop up window. If anyone in vancouver is interested in checking it out, let me know by dropping me a line at [email protected]

It's available for motion control video assist and vfx shot checking jobs as well as video assist playback at competitive rates.

Comes with directors monitors as well. But with that doomsday screen (check it out guys!) who needs em!

:)

cholo
10-14-2003, 08:23 AM
If you're shooting DV25 in any of it's flavors you can always bring along a portable recorder (video watchman) and piggyback with firewire for a backup tape to be recorded simultaneously. Also works well when you need to record a live event that lasts longer than you can fit in a signgle tape, you can just jump back and forth :)

Faraz
10-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Very Good Idea...

Just remember that machines can fail also. Hardrives can fail. Kepp both options, record on your machine. & just incase record on tape.