PDA

View Full Version : Example of modeling tools you would like to see in LW.

probiner
03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
We haven't seen much of what CORE does modeling side, so this might be a good time to drop some lines =)

If anyone wants to add more examples, go for it.

Didn't find videos on the web with the insight i wanted, so i made a quick video:
-Cinema 4d Demo: Chamfer Maker plugin. AMA Parallel mode = Instant Control Edges for Subdivision
-Wings3D: Circularise. Sort of mix between Art's LineupPoints EQ with MentalFish's Circlify, made interactive. I believe this is a very simple and powerful tool.

Both are edge based, not point based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znjO6NltRaI&hd=1
or
http://www.box.net/shared/22jckit3l5 (for readability...)

Cheers

Dodgy
03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
FI_Wrinkle. Soooo nice for Subd modelling.
Bevel ++ which is my go to tool for LW extruding.

probiner
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Bevel++ i don't know.
FI_Wrinkle is great, pitty it's point based and not edge based.

Anyway there is a lot in both Wings and Blender modeling wise, that gives a LW user a nose bleed...

colkai
03-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Been over this countless times really, so many, we all know them, there's no doubt countless threads listing all the same features.
Simple truth is, we've been saying it for years and so far not a single action on modeller front so I don't see the point any more.
Newtek simply is not listening when it comes to any modeller advancement. :(

Even been mentioned for CORE back when I was in HC, same $h1t.

probiner
03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
The humble question would be if Newtek has someone in charge of modeling for LW (that we can nag :D), like they have Matt now for some areas (Linear Workflow, User Interface, i think.) or if when the Modo founders left, Modeler was kind of dropped, only taking maintenance fixes and workflow updates?

I bet that's why your experience in HC was not good, no? There wasn't someone you could address these modeling ideas and needs?

zapper1998
03-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Maya

UltraViolet
03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Bah, SILO all the way :D

3D Kiwi
03-19-2011, 12:09 AM
XSIs tweak tool. Like drag in LW but it lets you slide points, edges, polys over the mesh. can be use as a weld tool, simple drag one point over another to weld. and has many other options.

Good bevel tool
Split edge tool.
Speed up bandsaw
Gizmos in the viewport. (option to turn them on or not)
Gator (lets you transfur one objects weights, surfaces, etc to another mesh)
ICE modeling :-)

Meshes that are extrued along a curve stay live.
and many others.

probiner
12-04-2011, 03:52 AM
In response to my opening post video about Instant Control Edges for Subdivision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnnKjjV8SiQ&&#T=50s

Matt
12-04-2011, 04:03 AM
The humble question would be if Newtek has someone in charge of modeling for LW (that we can nag :D), like they have Matt now for some areas (Linear Workflow, User Interface, i think.) or if when the Modo founders left, Modeler was kind of dropped, only taking maintenance fixes and workflow updates?

I bet that's why your experience in HC was not good, no? There wasn't someone you could address these modeling ideas and needs?

I have used Modeler for quite some time too you know!

Lewis
12-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah, Matt was doing some impressive modeling in past. i've looked at some of his designs, trains and other stuff. Man knows how to model no doubt there. Only part what scares me here is that he says he "used" modeler not USING :(.

probiner
12-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I have used Modeler for quite some time too you know!

Matt I was talking to a Modeler deveolmpent stand point. If you are also in charge of that, I had no idea.

@Lewis :agree:

Matt
12-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Matt was doing some impressive modeling in past. i've looked at some of his designs, trains and other stuff. Man knows how to model no doubt there. Only part what scares me here is that he says he "used" modeler not USING :(.

Of course I do still use it! And I haven't forgotten anything!

Matt
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Matt I was talking to a Modeler deveolmpent stand point. If you are also in charge of that, I had no idea.

@Lewis :agree:

Well, I'm not coding it if that's what you mean, but I can clearly put forward workflow issues, and gather ideas from yourselves.

I have a pretty clear idea of the main issues with Modeler.

JonW
12-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Get it to use more than 1 CPU core.

colkai
12-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Matt should be painfully aware of the problems with modller.

I've said it afore and I'll say it again, study LWCAD and Pictrix plugins, in detail, THAT's what modeller needs natively. Silo and Wings3D showed to to handle edges, Blender to an extent too has some good edge / point handling which kills modeller, (though badly lacking in other areas).

Get rid of stupid workflow and difficult to use tools and streamline, again look to LWCAD of how to handle streamlining effectively.

I have lost count of the number of times I've given up with translate plus simply because it is so gosh durn messy and confusing to use. Compare that to how the LWCAD tools work and they are poles apart.
Which is annoying as the translate Plus COULD have been very useful if DONE RIGHT.

The trick is not of course whether Matt knows what needs fixing, it's getting it fixed.

Simply because I know what would improve a program, does NOT mean it gets approved by the Boss. ;) :p

erikals
12-05-2011, 07:19 AM
don't forget realtime tools...

probiner
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, I'm not coding it if that's what you mean, but I can clearly put forward workflow issues, and gather ideas from yourselves.

I have a pretty clear idea of the main issues with Modeler.

And we sure like to share ideas don't we :p

Again, about the development is not about if you and others know the issues, because they have been said, desmonstraded and explained multiple times in multiple ways. It's wether there is or not a development cycle planned, for the activity called modeling (Not exactly Modeler), which will give answers to what everyone is aware that is short.
That or, LW can't be considered an evolving 3D generalist app.

Right now, it's not about having something new, big and flashy, but well covered basics and reliable performance, along with a proof of life in that department.

Anyway you all had a rough time, hope all goes well from here.

Cheers

erikals
12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
also during CORE, there were some quite thoroughly documented videos
posted by Intuition (forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=112909&page=2) and Lewis (http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1080863&postcount=361) on what to improve. (though i have a list of my own) :]

i might give a detailed video-list later on... maybe.

colkai
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Yup, as Probiner says, it's not just about what is needed, it is about actually getting around to tackling the issues.
Tain't no good talkin' about these things, which, apparently, Newtek are well aware of, get 'em done already.
Preferably afore I'm of pensionable age. :p

erikals
12-06-2011, 01:35 AM
i think you already hit that pension Colkai, i can tell from your profile picture,
you look grumpy, have a big nose, grey hair... i won't mention the rest...

probiner
12-06-2011, 02:40 AM
You know... eagles renew themselves =P

erikals
12-06-2011, 02:42 AM
no, i didn't... ꞉P maybe it's a Phoenix...
...and the grey hair i have, it's not grey, it's silver... \:]

octopus2000
12-13-2011, 05:53 AM
is there any chance in LW11 that ngons will be supported with subdivision? and that catmull clark will work well with UVs? it's time for those to get fixed.

Snosrap
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
is there any chance in LW11 that ngons will be supported with subdivision? and that catmull clark will work well with UVs? it's time for those to get fixed.

I doubt it. Unless they have moved that wall they bumped into several years ago. That kind of stuff will get fixed when we can work mega poly models in Modeler, until then we will need to deal with what we have. They know how to do it as we saw it in Core, but it will just take time for them to get all the puzzle pieces together.

colkai
12-14-2011, 07:01 AM
no, i didn't... ꞉P maybe it's a Phoenix...
...and the grey hair i have, it's not grey, it's silver... \:]

nope...definitely grey :p
My wife seems rather proud of the fact I started to go grey once I'd met her! :ohmy:

We won't talk about my expanding waistline ;)