PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #112 - Lifestyle choices.

XswampyX
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #112 - Lifestyle choices.
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post wires and renders (if possible) at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

What matters to you in this world, having a happy home life, job satisfaction or just plain old money. Well what better way to tell every one else how satisfied you are with your own life than buying ordinary products re-branded with your favorite car manufacturer?

So can you model the best product that your favorite car manufacturer has in their life style choice magazine?. You get extra points for useless or ridiculous products. IE A Hummer recycling bag.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 2200 GMT.

COBRASoft
03-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Damn XswampyX, a challenging challenge!

I'll have to think about this one.

chco2
03-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Me too.. need a day or two to figure out what exactly what you mean :)

XswampyX
03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
:D

This kind of thing...

http://store.ferrari.com/en/clothing/clothing-accessories/sunglasses/exclusive-gift-box-scuderia-ferrari-team-sunglasses-and-model-f10-limited-edition.html

Or a SKODA poopa scooper, or a ford baseball cap etc etc...

Iain
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Jesus.......

Amurrell
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
You can say that again.

Mitja
03-18-2011, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't pick my favourite car manufacturer for this challenge... It would be like Indiana Jones in one of the last South Park episodes (even though not many of you know what I'm saying...). The point here is to ridicule a car manufacturer?

Iain
03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
The point here is to ridicule a car manufacturer?

No not really.
I was hill walking last week and a guy turned up wearing Audi sunglasses and an Audi jacket. It's people saying "I love my car, don't you see?"

Good idea-difficult to pick something..............

OnlineRender
03-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Jesus.......

yes?

Mitja
03-18-2011, 02:18 AM
I see. Like those guys with the stick of a bitten apple.
...You get extra points for useless or ridiculous products... It will be tough to find a good subject for this one.

COBRASoft
03-18-2011, 03:28 AM
I found a simple one, will post it tonight (if I can get the UV map working :)): A Ferrari mug.

You could go to the websites of the car brands (Ferrari, Porsche, ...) and go to the store section, a lot of 'stupid', expensive things there like umbrella's, wallets, mugs, ...

XswampyX
03-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Yay, that's the spirit CobraSoft! You get the idea. They produce some nice products that just don't sit with the brands at all.

A ferrari travel chess set, made from carbon fiber for 2,000. :)
Rolls royce - thermos flask in tartan = good
lamborghini - thermos flask in tartan with brushed ally and carbon trim = fail
porsch - Ice cube tray maker, makes ice cubes in the shape of porsch cars.

etc etc....

Iain
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, I just couldn't believe it when I saw this: Mercedes Benz xmas decorations! Just under the hour for modelling.

Imagine hanging little glass balls with pictures of cars on your tree!

Comes in a beautiful box though :thumbsup:

XswampyX
03-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow, living the dream! :)

That's looking great Iain.

COBRASoft
03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

Here's a Ferrari mug, modeled in about 15 minutes.

I really have problems with UV's and making sure the logo has the correct proportions and lines when working in SubD mode. Any1 can help me out on this one?

Greetings,
Sigurd

chco2
03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Citroen - Creative
The Citroen Mile

Took me about 35-45 minutes modeling.

Wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/mile_wire.jpg

Render:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/mile.jpg

OnlineRender
03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

Here's a Ferrari mug, modeled in about 15 minutes.

I really have problems with UV's and making sure the logo has the correct proportions and lines when working in SubD mode. Any1 can help me out on this one?

Greetings,
Sigurd

CHEAT ::::::
Select all the cup hit "Q" -name surface , full-cup
select the polyz where you roughly want the logo - "Q" -name surface-logo

surface the full-cup , red for example copy and paste this over to the logo now add a transparent image with PS overlay ...tweak untill happy

COBRASoft
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
OnlineRender: that would work, but I'm searching for the 'real' solution. My model must be wrong somewhere and I have to figure out how to do it right.

chco2
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Try making a flat rectangle (perfect square that is) around the mug. This will ensure your UV's have the correct proportions.. Just delete it afterwards.

OnlineRender: that would work, but I'm searching for the 'real' solution. My model must be wrong somewhere and I have to figure out how to do it right.

a sandwhich
03-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Here is another coffee mug. Didn't mean to steal from you COBRASoft, but I had one in the cabinet and I wanted to compare it to my model. Took me about 25 minutes to model. Messed up on the handle, but I at least textured this time. Spent about 20 min on texture. I should have probably taken a picture of the handle and used it as the backdrop to model around. Ohwell.

XswampyX
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Looking good so far.
Is the Citroen Mile up for sale? One owner and only used once? :)

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FordToolBox4Wired.jpg

chco2
03-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Sorry.. where do you think I pay my bills from :)

Is the Citroen Mile up for sale? One owner and only used once? :)

XswampyX
03-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Oh well....

Ford tool box.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FordToolBox4.jpg

Iain
03-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Tidied up my materials and settings a bit...............

XswampyX
03-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Nice Iain, the extra effort shows through. :thumbsup:

Balls!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FerrariGolfBalls.jpg

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 10:20 AM
XsampyX: very nice! Could you explain me how you got the horse so good on those gulfballs? I'm searching for a good, easy way, but fail tremendously.

Iain
03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Balls!

Beautiful render :thumbsup:

Oh and same to you!

Iain
03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
XsampyX: very nice! Could you explain me how you got the horse so good on those gulfballs? I'm searching for a good, easy way, but fail tremendously.

The easiest way to do a decal, I find, is pretty much as Onlinerender suggested: planar, cylindrical or spherical mapping and tweak it using Modeler's OpenGL. It seems unscientific but it works-the eye knows.

XswampyX
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Something like this?

It's quick and dirty, but for the speed challenges where you can choose your view point then it works well. Like on the back of the balls, there is a reversed horse.

Oh and you can delete the box, I think this just keeps the UV map roughly the same as your image proportions.

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi XswampiX

Thank you for the video, but whatever I try, I keep having distortions in the Ferrari logo, specially in the lower part. If you have some spare time, would you like to take a look at my model and image? Perhaps something is wrong in my model?

Greetings,
Sigurd

a sandwhich
03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Here's the fixed handle. Probably doesn't make a difference. Changed the color of the logo also, I don't know if it looks any better either. Took 5 minutes to model.

XswampyX
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Your UV map is a bit of a mess...

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/UVMess.jpg

So I don't think you are using UV's, more like you are using front projection?

I've done a quick UV for the cup, but it's not a full UV. I just selected say 15 polys on the front face and created a UV map for them only.

Have a look.

Cheers!

chco2
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Modeling about 20 mins

wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/beeropener_wire.jpg

render1:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/beeropener.jpg

render2:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/beeropener2.jpg

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Charly: nice one m8! Slick wires :).

Iain
03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's the fixed handle. Probably doesn't make a difference. Changed the color of the logo also, I don't know if it looks any better either. Took 5 minutes to model.

Looks good! You might not be interested in this just now but since your modelling is pretty competent, why not use some decent render settings?

Bump up the AA and throw some soft Area Light or radiosity shadows in with a hdri or even a light blue backdrop and you'll be amazed.

a sandwhich
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks good! You might not be interested in this just now but since your modelling is pretty competent, why not use some decent render settings?

Bump up the AA and throw some soft Area Light or radiosity shadows in with a hdri or even a light blue backdrop and you'll be amazed.

Thanks, I will do some of that. I have been learning the surface editor and haven't given much notice to the render settings. Lol, render times take so much longer now.

chco2
03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Darn Iain and XswampyX you really now how to render :D
Wires aren't bad either ;)

a sandwhich
03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Here we go Iain. It took 12 minutes to render the first time I tried, then I added the backdrop, which is sloping away at about 30 degrees. The second time I boosted the AA and it took 15 min. I would say there is an improvement. The way I did the reflection and translucency cause a thin little surface to come around the edge of the model, any way to remove that without changing the color and current appearance?

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

I've spent about 10 minutes improving the wires (simplifying mostly) and hours to get the Ferrari logo looking good. Thanks the help of others, I was able to get a decent result for my UV map (SubPatch interpolation, I will never forget to use this :)).

Greetings,
Sigurd

dwburman
03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
CobraSoft, you might want to turn off dithering in the Image Processing tab. That should get rid of the noise in the dark part of logo. :)

XswampyX
03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Wires for golf balls.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FerrariGolfBallsWired.jpg

It's heavy on the geometry. :hey:

jrandom
03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Wires for golf balls.

How did you make those? I'm racking my brain but can't think of an efficient way to do it.

XswampyX
03-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Here :- http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94971

Halfway down....

Super fast way to make a Golf ball:

>Create a ball Tessellation set to 6

>Use rounder on all points

>Using Stats panel select all Ngons

>Bevel with a small inset and a small shift in

>use the Spikey tool to shift in one more time

>hit Tab and your done

:D

COBRASoft
03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Edit: doesn't matter anymore, XswampyX answered himself :).

jrandom
03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Clever!

a sandwhich
03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Question: When I made the subaru logo for the mug I made it just the black parts with a transparent background and saved it as a psd. When I loaded it into lightwave the transparency was not preserved and a white background was left, hard to notice because the mug is completely white. What should I do to preserve the transparency? Is there a better file type or something?

MDSPECIFIC
03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Somehow I manage and finish this Lamborghini fridge magnet project under 60min.
Modeling 35min, texturing/lightning 20min.
100% LightWave render except DOF (AE Frichluft Lenscare).

chco2
03-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Nice!

You know that the limit of 60 mins is for modeling only, right? ;)
Texturing, lightning and rendering can take all day :D

Modeling 35min, texturing/lightning 20min.
100% LightWave render except DOF (AE Frichluft Lenscare).

chco2
03-22-2011, 01:17 AM
I am having the same problem with LW10. Be it psd or png or tga.. no transparency preserved..

Question: When I made the subaru logo for the mug I made it just the black parts with a transparent background and saved it as a psd. When I loaded it into lightwave the transparency was not preserved and a white background was left, hard to notice because the mug is completely white. What should I do to preserve the transparency? Is there a better file type or something?

COBRASoft
03-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Try GLSLShaders instead of MultiTexture in GL display options.

chco2
03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Isn't that just for the display ?
Transparency isn't preserved at rendertime also..

Try GLSLShaders instead of MultiTexture in GL display options.

COBRASoft
03-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Ok, then I'm not the only one with a problem :). With GLSLShading my display looks like it should. MultiTexture screwes it up completely. The render problem (no alpha) remains like you said.

chco2
03-22-2011, 03:42 AM
One way of handling it is as follows:

In the image editor the image DOES contain an alpha image.
so I just clone the image and set the clone to alpha only.
In the surface editor I add an extra layer to the original imagelayer and use it as the alpha. That works. Old skool way :)

Mitja
03-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Sadly I didn't have time to do something for this one... I came up with a terrific idea! Maybe this afternoon, hopefully.

jrandom
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
If you use nodes, would you be able just wire up the alpha output to the surface's transparency?

(I haven't tried this myself.)

Iain
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Great render!

OK folks, next challenge is up...............................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1125811#post1125811

XswampyX
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Well it's that time of the week again, seems like only 2 days ago the last winner was announced. :D

Iain 'Christmas balls' : A great render, and model (as usual). It was interesting to see how the extra effort in the texturing really brought out the model.

COBRAsoft 'Ferrari mug' : When I first saw this I thought it was all out of proportion, but in my quest to find something to model I came across this for sale. You nailed it exactly! The second set of wires look a lot cleaner.

Chco2 'The Citroen Mile' : What a great idea! Nice model, using geometry for the detailing and not just relying on texture maps. This is a modeling competition after all.

A sandwitch 'Scooby mug' : Nice model, simple and not overworked. You should try 'bridge' to attatch the handle to the mug. Keep with it.

Chco2 'Bottle Opener' : Tut tut, drink driving.... Great model. I just love the contrast between a simple sub-patched model and a detailed render. I just want to pick it up, and slip it in my pocket. :thumbsup:

MDSPECIFIC 'Fridge Magnet' : Hey, not only do we get a nicely modeled, textured and rendered fridge magnet, we also get a back story as well.

So on to the winner...

Iain for his Christmas baubles.. well what can I say, it was great the first time, and even better the second. Skillz :)

Well done all!

a sandwhich
03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
In the second time I posted, after Iain gave me advice I beveled the ends and connected the handle to the mug, just didn't post a wireframe and couldn't see it in the render.

chco2
03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
congrats Iain ! :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice done Iain! Thx for posting the next challenge.

Thx too XswampyX as well for the detailed comments.

ArtGoblin
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Well it's that time of the week again, seems like only 2 days ago the last winner was announced. :D

hahaha ouch... :)

And congratulations Iain... nice work :)

Iain
03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks folks. Another topic to pick :grumpy:

Great work again-its great to see such a big response to the current run of challenges.

@Artgoblin: Cracking avatar pic-how old?

ArtGoblin
03-24-2011, 01:51 PM
hehe thanks Iain... I've been meaning to change my avatar here on the newtek forums for some years now... The picture is from my son's baptism which was in October... he's turning 7 months now in a couple of days and healthy as can be :)

... he's the best rendering I've ever done... even though he took about 9 months to render.... and that on a system that I hardly understand :D

Iain
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
... and that on a system that I hardly understand :D

Hah, and we never will! Congratulations :thumbsup:

jrandom
03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
... and that on a system that I hardly understand :D

You can't render on a cluster of those, either. I mean, you can, but it's a really bad idea.

ArtGoblin
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
haha thanks guys :) I think I'd like to skip the cluster render and just focus on this one gem I've got here for a while hehe

Oedo 808
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Congrats Iain. Nice work all.

Especially ArtGoblin for his avatar, and they said your dongle wasn't up to the task. ;D

MDSPECIFIC
03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice!
You know that the limit of 60 mins is for modeling only, right? ;)
Texturing, lightning and rendering can take all day :D
Thanks!
Unfortunately I can't afford more then 60min for both right now.

Great render!

Thanks and congratulations again!

chco2
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Great Avatar ArtGoblin! I know the feeling ;)

MDSPECIFIC
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
MDSPECIFIC 'Fridge Magnet' : Hey, not only do we get a nicely modeled, textured and rendered fridge magnet, we also get a back story as well.

Thanks!
Expanding challenge through simple background story make this little tasks more interesting to me. :)

Nice work guys!