PDA

View Full Version : Simplylighwave - Caveman Tutorial - What do you think?

cgisoul
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Does anyone try this tutorial? It's over 30 hours and includes:

Caveman Modeling
Caveman Texturing
Caveman Rigging
Caveman Animation

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=546&utm_source=newletter_caveman&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=caveman

I would like to hear your opinion before getting it. I am not sure since this was released around 2006 and is 5 years old. Is it worth it? Does it have change a lot of when this tutorial was made and with Lightwave 10?

Appreciated for any advise.

lertola2
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I have the rigging video. I hate to say negative things about something that someone worked hard on. But I found the videos tedious to watch. They are very long because there is not much editing. At least for me I found the ratio of new information to stuff I already knew was low. Also I find long video tutorials problematic in general because I don't have that much free time available. A better video for rigging is http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr. This one is also very long. But there is a lot of interesting information presented.

cgisoul
03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Hmm... I see what you mean. Thank you for the suggestion m8. :)

oliversimonnet
03-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Hello
I have all 4 videos, and even tho they are quite long i did find them very useful, and i learnt quite a bit from them.

cgisoul
03-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi oliver,

I am not so interested on the modeling set as I don't model in LW.
I am very interested on the Texturing set. The Rigging and Animation sets could come quite handy in the future.

On the rigging and animation do you really end up creating that short they shown in the page? Walking cycle?

Specially, what does the Texturing set covers? What sort of maps? Displace? Bump? Normals? Reflect..... etc?

If would be nice if you could let me know on this.

Thank you and appreciated for your inputs m8.

RebelHill
03-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Texturing eh...

Well that tutorial set is pretty old now... I cant imagine there's gonna be much that relates to the newer tools, certainly in terms of rigging there wont be.

But if texturing is your big thing, you can also forget displacement and normal mapping, as LW didnt have these things back then, at least, not in the way that it does now.

I assume human-esque characters are your main area of interest... and if so Id say go with the tuts available at www.ten24.info... really good work, really top notch knowledge and workflows, etc.

cgisoul
03-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Hi RebelHill,

Thank you for your input. That certainly helped me to decide.
I have the ten24 and I agree, that's very good.

Thank you everyone.