PDA

View Full Version : An Orc in the Dark

MAUROCOR
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi, guys!

I just finished a work and I would like to share with you.
The subject is not new, actually a lot of them were born after ZBrush and I told to myself I would never create one but you know, never say never!
Well, here it is. My main goal in this work was to give him some character and personality.
If you want to see the WIP you can get it here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117702

If you want to see a better resolution you can see it here:

http://www.maurocor.com/imagens/stuff/orc_high.jpg

And to finish some technical info:

Modeling: Lightwave, Zbrush
Texturing: Zbrush, Photoshop
Rendering: Lightwave 10
Post Work: Photoshop

Render Time: 1h59m56s

Render Resolution: 2400 x 1800 pixel
Camera Type: Perspective
Antialiasing: 2
Rec Filter: Classic
Adaptive: 0.035
Radiosity: Montecarlo/Interpolated

No lights in the scene, just 1 polygon with luminosity 1000% and an HDR image with 20% of brightness.

I hope you like it.

http://www.maurocor.com/imagens/stuff/orc_1.jpg

Traveler
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I saw this in the work in progress thread and he turned out great! Really nice work. The facial hair made me smile :)

If I had to nitpick it would be that the saliva appears interrupted. Perhaps it's a lighting issue?

MAUROCOR
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
_Traveler- Hi, Traveler! Itīs good to know you liked my Orc. About the saliva, yes, it is because the reflection. Thanks for your reply!

caesar
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow, I like this image a lot !!!! Ficou muito bom mesmo!!!!

digitaldoc
03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Coooool :thumbsup:

KScott
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
seriously great work. liked your elf, wasn't it you did? Any plans of animation?

Kevin

MAUROCOR
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
_caesar- Thanks! Fico feliz de saber que vocę gostou!

_digitaldoc- Thanks!:thumbsup:

_KScott- Hi, Scott! Yes, I did the elf too. I think I like people with sharp ear, hehehe...:yoda: If I had some time is possible that I create some little animation, letīs see what happen.

Lewis
03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
This is "sick", but in a good way :).

Excellent work Mauro.

zapper1998
03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
omg
so cool... :)

bazsa73
03-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Alcoholists in the neighbourhood looks the same! :)

MAUROCOR
03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
_Lewis- Thanks, Mr Blazencic! I am glad you liked!:thumbsup:

_zapper1998-:D:thumbsup:

_bazsa73- Hehe, I agree with that too!

Kionel
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Inspiring stuff.

Scazzino
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Excellent!

MAUROCOR
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Thank you guys, I am glad you liked!:)

mythek1
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Fantastic work! Deserves more of a response. Could just be envy:)

Rich
04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Wow, pretty freakin cool! Good job MAUROCOR!

milivoj_popovic
04-06-2011, 01:54 AM
disgustingly great! loove the skin shader! Maybeee just a tiny bit to specular but no matter, great stuff!

Svenart
04-09-2011, 12:22 PM
This is probably one of the best and most real looking images I have seen from you. Congratulations!

sammael
04-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I like this one, the cataract eye, the tongue and mouth area looks fantastic. The skin looks nice but to my eye might benifit from a bit more fresnel. Overall great.

drako
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Excellent character.Very impressive work from an excellent artist....
Bravo Mauro...

Svenart
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
One question: How have you made this dusty particles in the air?

MAUROCOR
04-12-2011, 06:35 AM
_mythek1- Hehehe! Thanks!

_Rich- Thank you, Rich!

_milivoj_popovic- About the specular, I intend to make some few changes on it and that is included.

_Svenart- Thanks, Svernart. That is a work that I liked a lot too. A bit diferent the things that I usualy do. About your question, dusty in the air is Photoshop in this case.

_sammael- More fresnel? Really? Some people told me the opposite, there is too much!

_drako- Thank you, Kakarountas! I am glad you liked!

vector
04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
It's amazing. The only thing I donīt like is the background... not the same tone.

Vector

sammael
04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
_sammael- More fresnel? Really? Some people told me the opposite, there is too much!

This is assuming that the combination of a low fresnel amount along with the gloss and spec is creating the slimy look (which is great btw) its hard to tell if that is actually the case though just by looking at the image.

Experimenting with the skin shader I found that more fresnel helps to tone down the specular a bit whilst promoting an oily skin look.
My suggestion that 'might' help to improve the image would be to tone down the wetness a bit in a few places, for example (in my view) not so much is needed on the cheeks, ears, forehead and body area which would generally be less wet/slimy. Whereas, keep the amount the same around places like the mouth, nose and eyes where the slobber, drool, weeping and snot would spread a bit. I think the contrast would help to improve the overall image.

It's just a suggestion intended to be helpful, as I said the image is great as it is.

I would love to see your node setup and skin settings if you are willing to share them, by the look of your characters you take a different approach to the skin shaders to what I do.

MAUROCOR
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
This is assuming that the combination of a low fresnel amount along with the gloss and spec is creating the slimy look (which is great btw) its hard to tell if that is actually the case though just by looking at the image.

Experimenting with the skin shader I found that more fresnel helps to tone down the specular a bit whilst promoting an oily skin look.
My suggestion that 'might' help to improve the image would be to tone down the wetness a bit in a few places, for example (in my view) not so much is needed on the cheeks, ears, forehead and body area which would generally be less wet/slimy. Whereas, keep the amount the same around places like the mouth, nose and eyes where the slobber, drool, weeping and snot would spread a bit. I think the contrast would help to improve the overall image.

It's just a suggestion intended to be helpful, as I said the image is great as it is.

I would love to see your node setup and skin settings if you are willing to share them, by the look of your characters you take a different approach to the skin shaders to what I do.

That is the idea. I like the way it is but certainly it could be improved adjusting here and there.
I donīt know how it is but I am looking forwardto test the new SKIN material there is in LW 10.1:hey:
As soon as possible I post here my Orc Skin Setup.

sammael
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
That is the idea. I like the way it is but certainly it could be improved adjusting here and there.
I donīt know how it is but I am looking forwardto test the new SKIN material there is in LW 10.1:hey:

Yeah same here I'm excited about the new skin material, it looks interesting... the ones we have are good but I feel they could be better too. Fingers crossed this one will provide improved results as well as being 'simple'.

firstsingle
04-16-2011, 03:50 AM
This is twisted man. I freakin Love it. He's quite a mess. Wouldn't want to cross this mad man of Gaderra!

04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
That is one amazing job of work. No crits come to mind which is a bit of a first :D

Dave

MAUROCOR
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you for your nice words, guy. I really appreciated!:thumbsup:

sammael
04-24-2011, 10:12 AM

??? :bday:

MAUROCOR
05-10-2011, 06:52 AM
??? :bday:

Sorry, I was on vacation but I am posting the skin setup now. Here it is:

http://www.maurocor.com/imagens/stuff/orc_skin.jpg

sammael
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks MAUROCOR, interesting you used the same image for diffuse and epedermis, that would certainly help cut out some of the messing around with 3 texture layers.
I'm also curious that you have a diffuse total of over 100%, lately I try to total the diffuse across diff, epe & sub to 100% which seems to have ok results but I'm not sure that is the right way to do it. Before that I was using weight or image maps (with also decent results).
Also, do you use both displacement and normal maps? whenever I try to use a combination of both (generated in zbrush) I get over emphasised results because of the normal map trying to create the same shapes as the displacement map (doubling up so to speak) and it looks odd.

abdelkarim
05-12-2011, 08:58 PM
NO COments .

MAUROCOR
05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
_sammael- Hi! Actually I donīt have a definitive rule that defines my work. Each one of them I try to get what I think is better to that particular work. I liked the way things happened in this case.

_abdelkarim- Thanks! I will take it as a good thing!?!

RSINGLETARY
06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
@ MAUROCOR___created " An Orc in the Dark ".

Your artwork is one of the finest I've seen on this entire site !!
C__O__N__G__R__A__T__U__L__A__T__I__O__N__S !!

Signed: Robert Singletary__Sunday June 12, 2011__8:00 P.M.
(eastern standard time) USA

MAUROCOR
07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
@ MAUROCOR___created " An Orc in the Dark ".

Your artwork is one of the finest I've seen on this entire site !!
C__O__N__G__R__A__T__U__L__A__T__I__O__N__S !!

Signed: Robert Singletary__Sunday June 12, 2011__8:00 P.M.
(eastern standard time) USA

Wow, I didnīt see your enthusiastic post, thank you very much! Apparentely that is a work that people love or donīt, there is no in between, and I am happy you are one of those who liked.