PDA

View Full Version : Converting surface attributes to Nodes

Photogram
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I wish to convert many surface on my objects to node without the need to rebuild everyting in the node editor.

It is possible with a command or script to get that conversion?

The idea is to bring my surface attribute translated in the node system and have the traditional surface panel with all values and textures resetted to default values with the node overiding every basic surface attributes.

This ability will also be usefull in the future for exporting Lightwave project to Core! ;)

Many thanks!

dwburman
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know of anything that can convert Layer surfaces to Node surface.

As far as I can tell, anytime you plug something into a channel in the Node Editor (color, diffuse, specular, etc) the nodes completely override the layer settings. The exception to this is the Bump channel. It seems that things plugged into the bump channel in the node editor get added to the bump channel set in the Layer bump channel.

Photogram
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
It would be nice to integrate in Lightwave 10 a new command or script that will import or convert every surface attribute to node texturing for an the entire scene.

This way this will not only save a lot of time but it will guarantee painless scene export to Core for any users who have little knowlege about the way texture node system is working.

I never especialy need the texture node system in my everyday work. So for me and many old users, it is very frustrating to feel a real beginner when trying to make surfaces in Core or even in LW10.

Now the legacy texture in Core is now under node system and working without the traditional surface panel. It's not so easy to figure out.

I hope there will be a special surface panel in core that will give the same look and feel of the traditional surface panel but behind that panel everything will connect in the node system without special knowledge and for power users who need the node system they will benefit of this time saver to create node system faster before editing them! ;)

It would be very appreciated to get an input from the newtek team about this idea.

Future Lightwave have to be as easy and fun to use like the actual one :) That's the key to good creativity i believe!

dpont
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
You could try the Classic Surface node from DP Kit,
there's a button to capture all values and texture
layers in one node.

Denis.

dwburman
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. There are so many tools in that pack that it's easy to overlook something cool.

layers in one node.

Denis.

Photogram
03-16-2011, 04:43 PM
OH!!!

That's working perfectly!!!

I'm curious now about the possibility to split the result of that node to obtain a multiple nodes network instantly...
I want to use a vector for scaling all the textures at the same time!

So when resizing my character the textures will resize too even if i don't have uv mappings!

By the way many thanks for your answer it will help me a lot :)

I hope to get that node in Core someday :)

Cheers !

dpont
03-17-2011, 01:14 AM
...I want to use a vector for scaling all the textures at the same time!
So when resizing my character the textures will resize too even if i don't have uv mappings!...

Simply use a Null as Texture Reference.

Denis.

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
layers in one node.

Denis.

I have been trying to D/L the DPKit. All downloads from the site cannot be opened, they give an error that the zip file is invalid.

Anyone have a suggestion?

kadri
11-12-2011, 03:24 PM
No problem on my side here. Used Firefox then 7z. Did you tried other browser and-or whatever program you use for the zip file ?

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I used IE8 on Win7 and the Win7 Zip folder viewing first.

Then tried IE7 on Win XP and Winzip 10.

Both had the same "Zip is empty or damaged" error.

Any thoughts?

kadri
11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Try it with a newer Winzip version. 7z is free. You can try it too.

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I got it unzipped with 7z. Thanks for the suggestion.

The file in the zip has the name "DP_Kit_x64".

Isn't it supposed to have an extension of ".p" or something?

kadri
11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Yes it has indeed the ".p" extension. Not sure if this is your problem but is your Folder setting in Windows 7 rightly showing the file extensions of other files , LMUSIC ?
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/show-file-extensions/

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I have been checking it out more.

The following DPont downloads are NOT valid zip files and I cannot extract them.

DP Verdure Pack PDF.zip, DP_Filter_10_x32.zip, DP_Filter_x64.zip, DP_Kit_Doc&Samples.zip, DP_Kit_x32.zip, DP_Kit_x64.zip, DP_Light_Doc.zip, DP_Light_x32.zip, DP_Light_x64.zip, DP_Tree_Content.zip, DP_Tree_Presets.zip, DP_Verdure_x32.zip, DP_Verdure_x64.zip, Lscript_Samples.zip, RmanCollect_Doc.zip, RmanCollect_Presets.zip, RmanCollect_x32.zip, RmanCollect_x64.zip, RmanNodeCollect_x32.zip, RmanNodeCollect_x64.zip, Sunsky_x32.zip, Sunsky_x64.zip, SVGMapTexture_x32.zip

The following DPont downloads ARE valid zip files and I can extract them.

Astro-Motions.zip, Growing_TreeCageDM.zip, Mot2Mod.zip, TreeCage_7.5b.zip, TreeCage_Manual.zip, TreeCage_sample-files.zip, DP_Filter_x32.zip, DP_Filter_x64.zip, Shadows_x32.zip, Shadows_x64.zip

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes it has indeed the ".p" extension. Not sure if this is your problem but is your Folder setting in Windows 7 rightly showing the file extensions of other files , LMUSIC ?
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/show-file-extensions/

I appreciate the question, but I always run with extensions showing.

The extension is missing even when viewed in the 7z file manager window. So I am pretty sure it isn't inside my machine.

Browser downloading may be another matter. It is curious why some of his are downloaded correctly and other are not. I am more suspicious that since the owner in the zip file show as Unix that there is a conversion problem making the zip file.

None of the hundred or so plugins (from other authors) has this problem.

Sure would like to get the Classic Surface node.

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I added the ".p" extension, but Lightwave still says it is not a valid plugin file.

kadri
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
LMUSIC , i tried it only with this one you said that was not working RmanNodeCollect_x64.zip and i have no problem here. The only thing i sometimes hear is that Explorer is truncating sometimes the downloading files(they could be in the cache already.). I would try another browser, Firefox or Chrome bu you seem to know this already. I do not know why this should happen other then this , sorry.

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
kadri,

Thanks for engaging on this issue. I am installing Chrome on a test machine as we speak.

Preparing for success.

Thanks.

kadri
11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
kadri,
Thanks for engaging on this issue. I am installing Chrome on a test machine as we speak.
Preparing for success.
Thanks.

:) Hope this works.

LMUSIC
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
After installing Chrome, I have a good download and can extract the plugin file.

Thanks, kadri, for hanging in there with me.

kadri
11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
After installing Chrome, I have a good download and can extract the plugin file.
Thanks, kadri, for hanging in there with me.

:)