PDA

View Full Version : Random rotation of multple poligons

accom
03-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi guys!

I came across a problem I can't resolve as quick as I need to. Here goes... I need to create a crowd of fans that hold colored plates that display the message. Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocpEL4pNPIk

Oh, and they don't need to be animated, just a static pic for magazine ad.

So, I wanted to make it simple... an array of squares. But now I'd like to make it more 'organic', so I'd like to randomly move/rotate these polygons... I'm sure there's a simple way to do it... but I have no idea how! Browsed the manuals, browsed the web... googled it, but no usefull info.

Could do it manually, but there's a couple of hundreds.... :D

Thanx in advance!

Simon-S
03-16-2011, 07:43 AM
The way I would do this in modeller is to firstly lay out flat quads in the positions you want your plates to appear in the crowd, then hit 'collapse polygons' under the construct/reduce tab. This will then replace every one of those quads with a point.

Next, place your plate object in a new layer and have the points you've created in the background layer.

Then under Multiply/Duplicate, use 'Point Clone Plus' which will make a copy of your plate for every point in the bg layer. You can set random rotation, position and scale to add variation.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

accom
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanx! Works great and exactly what I was looking for!

(I love this community!) :)

jnddepew
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
You could also use HD Instance if you have that. It might make rendering faster.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't think instancing would work, since I assume the message is spelled out over many many plates.

I can't figure how the given method worked either--apparently it did though!, since the surface would be just the one plate. Projecting an image map over the whole thing would be ok, but you wouldn't, TMK, get rotation by individual quads unless some UV mapping got applied at some point.

BUT, the geometry would be broken up, yes.

Another way to do that in a more sloppy way would be to make a divided rectangle, UNWELD all the points, and apply a slight jitter. In this case some of the rectangles get a little distorted though.

accom
03-18-2011, 02:29 AM
O.k., let me explain:

1. array of 10mm square quads 100x100 on x and z with 11mm distance
2. collaps polys to get a grid of points (as Simon-S suggested) in background layer
3. make a square poly with 10mm edge on foreground layer
4. UV texture this poly
5. PointClonePlus this poly with min and max variation in HPB and XYZ values

This multiplyes the UV textured poly over the grid of points in background layer with random rotation / position within PointClonePlus-specified values. And that is what I was looking for.

jeric_synergy
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
OK, I'm not arguing, I get that it's working fine, I'm just not understanding.... each poly is showing the same exact texture? The group of polys isn't spelling out a 'big' picture?

A screen grab would probably clarify everything.

Sekhar
03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
OK, I'm not arguing, I get that it's working fine, I'm just not understanding.... each poly is showing the same exact texture? The group of polys isn't spelling out a 'big' picture?

A screen grab would probably clarify everything.

A simple way to get that IMO is to just have a flat array with UV the traditional way (e.g., large divided poly that's un-welded) but randomized in Layout with a dynamic. E.g., add HardFX and choose a small rotation under the force tab with a random axis. You'll get the overall UV + animation.

jeric_synergy
03-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Especially since it's a still.