PDA

View Full Version : Clothfx Help

DragonFist
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know if this a bug or the unfortunate default behavior of Clothfx, but I'm pulling my hair out.

I have an rather simple character object, with a surface called "fur", I have used the modeler fiberfx tool to add a bunch of poly chains to the second layer. The character is modeled to be 6ft tall (not the scale I expect it to be but I figured an overly small or overly large character might behave differently.) The fur surface is effectively a cylinder around the character body with two holes where the arms come out.

In layout, I have applied clothfx to it with a preset, (I tried silk and then cotten thin). The character has a simple up and down animation every 5 frames and a 90 degree rotation for half the frames and returning the other half. This is simply to test the clothfx.

The resulting simulation has the "fur" shoot out with each bounce. Like the ball on a rubberband attached to a paddle toys. Not at all what I would expect from the selected presets. I've done some forum searching and googling and have tried lowering the spring to as much as 10%, lowering the stretch limit, etc. and nothing has gotten rid of this behavior.

The only setting that seems to affect it is the stretch limit, however, lowering it only results in the majority of the simulation to look more as expected but a small section becomes many times worse. The character now seems to have a fur scarf with X-men powers to shoot out and grab the camera. Lowing the resolution increases calc times but doesn't resolve the issue.

I haven't found any documents or posts that have helped (other than the stretch limit thing which is helps in a way but results in another issue.)

Obviously, there have been animations done with clothfx, I expect there must be a solution, but for the life of me I can't find it, unless this is a bug in LW 10. I wouldn't know as I've never really used the dynamics in earlier editions.

Any dynamics gurus out there able to point me in the right direction?

jeric_synergy
03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
celshader is a master of these things, maybe she can help you.

Meanwhile: http://celshader.com/

erikals
03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
short on time, if you share the scene i can check.

DragonFist
03-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks all! I got some help from Dodgy. I figured out that the majority of my issues were from bad settings on my collision object. Dodgy gave me some great tips that will clearly make a much more natural simulation.

But all the bouncing, shooting, jittering annoyances were due to default 200% bounce power and not using the subdivided mesh for collision resulting in the weird behavior I was having.

Lessons learned :D

erikals
03-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Dodgy is the man! :]

jeric_synergy
03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Bounce/Bind is a very confusing setting: a ratio, which is just a damnable fraction in a tuxedo!!!!

Surrealist.
03-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey Shawn!

Where are you going with this? Because I have done a ton of testing with cloth.

Have a look at my tests:

http://www.vimeo.com/2510941

I can help you dial in some settings that will be great for animation.

KScott
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey dragon fist, do a quick search for topic advice in character animation section, rebilhill gave me link to his run through on cfx. Great stuff and a funny read. Should help. First run through on my knight his skirt exploded, way too funny.

Kevin

Nice stuff there Mr Culver.

DragonFist
03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, love this community. Dodgy really helped me out. This was just a proof of concept for myself, but here's the little test a got done with that help.

@Surrealist We should catch up at some point.

Surrealist.
03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Looking good. Let me know when you come to do more animation and I'll be glad to help if I can. You'll definitely run into more issues down the road as you put the character through the paces.

@Kscott Thanks.