PDA

View Full Version : How do you install plug-ins?

BenMora3D
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm a newb. How do I install plug-ins? For instance, I downloaded one called plug_ik.p from lwplugindb.com. What do I do with that file?

nickdigital
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
In Layout go to Edit Plug-Ins and then click on Add Plug-ins.

wrench
03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
It probably won't work unless you are using the CFM (PowerPC) version of LightWave. Plugins for the UB version have names that end with .plugin if I'm not mistaken.

B

BenMora3D
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
I tried the "Add plug-ins" button and it did not recognize it. It was labeled as an OSX plugin but perhaps that is wrong. hmm.

dwburman
03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
A few years ago Macs switched from PowerPC (Motorola) CPUs to Intel CPUs. In order to run software natively on the new CPUs it had to be changed. If the software wasn't changed, the OS on Intel-based Macs would have to emulate the PowerPC processor. It would run, but it'd run slower.

The CFM version of Lightwave (I think 9.6 was the last version) is the PowerPC only version.

The UB (Universal Binary) version of Lightwave runs natively on Intel and PowerPC CPUs.

Plugins for the CFM version won't work in the UB version.

There are also compatibility problems between plugins written for 32-bit versions of Lightwave and 64-bit versions of Lightwave (LW9.6.1 and LW10).

A few years ago Macs switched from PowerPC (Motorola) CPUs to Intel CPUs. In order to run software natively on the new CPUs it had to be changed. If the software wasn't changed, the OS on Intel-based Macs would have to emulate the PowerPC processor. It would run, but it'd run slower.

The CFM version of Lightwave (I think 9.6 was the last version) is the PowerPC only version.

The UB (Universal Binary) version of Lightwave runs natively on Intel and PowerPC CPUs.

Plugins for the CFM version won't work in the UB version.

There are also compatibility problems between plugins written for 32-bit versions of Lightwave and 64-bit versions of Lightwave (LW9.6.1 and LW10). You can run LW 9.6.1 and LW 10 in 32-bit mode for compatibility. Hopefully, any developers that were making plugins for the UB version are still around to recompile their plugins for the new 64-bit version.