PDA

View Full Version : Ozone 5 Ple is out, works with LW10 VPR!

prometheus
03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
e-onsoftware has a free Ozone 5 ple version for you guys to try out.

I just installed it and havenīt tested it much yet.
It works with lightwave 10 and also with the VPR ..but you canīt have
the atmosphere editor open to tweak the settings and see it with the VPR at the same time, you have to close the atmosphere editor.
Same goes for that you have to switch off the VPR in order to open the atmosphere editor, so thatīs a little disappointing.

and within the ozone interface, I really canīt see much new in there, a slightly changed interface in colors and style, but thatīs it.
thereīs probably some improvements for the lighting atmosphere itself somewhere, but youīll have to check that on the e-on site.

It is still not possible to tweak cloud scale roughness and detail as in the vue program itself, and you can still not right click and change the density or edit the nodes for the noise functions within the cloud material, you can only load premade clouds materials from vue itself.
Thereīs however a randomiser for the clouds material wich could help a little.

the atmosphere editors previewer canīt be scaled either, so your left with a to small previewer, I thought that maybe thanks to VPR you could scale your own viewport to work that way, but as mentioned above, you cant have vpr or the atmoshpere editor open at the same time.

The VPR renders ozone atmospheres pretty fast thou, if you donīt smack up the viewport to full scale that is, and if you use the spectral 1 cloud layers, It will update the VPR pretty fast, for my machine..something like 3
-6 seconds , the spectral 2 cloud layers is much slower thou.

I will check how ozone works with hypervoxels and fluids later on.

Michael

prometheus
03-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Unfortunatly It seems that you canīt see the correct lighting on the objects with ozone 5 and VPR, they show up black without lighting.
test with a sketchup model.

See attached image.

Michael

prometheus
03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I cant see that Ozone actually can render the volumetric lights exactly as in vue to have the volumetric sunlight cast shadows upon lightwave objects.
See compare image from vue and ozone, the left image is vue ple showing how the shadows should be cast and the right ligthwave and ozone without any proper cast of sunlight affecting the buildings..(and yes, you will eventually get those uggly watermarks in ozone to after a while)

Not impressive so far, unless Im doing something very wrong.
I think you will be better of getting vue and render your buildings and vistas within that, the vue previewer is also faster than vpr.

Michael

prometheus
03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Someone here at these forums, mentioned that hypervoxels now should be abled to be obscured by ozone clouds, and that even from ozone 4..
I can not find this to be true thou with ozone 5, no matter how I try, the hypervoxels will not be obscured by ozone clouds.

:mad:

Michael

digefxgrp
03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Thank you Prometheus for your posting regarding Ozone 5. :thumbsup:

I was toying around with either getting Ozone or side-grading my VueI6 to Vue9-Complete. Think I'll go with Complete. It's cheaper, and for doing stills, it'll provide what you just showed to be missing in Ozone.

Thanks again!

Phil
03-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Someone here at these forums, mentioned that hypervoxels now should be abled to be obscured by ozone clouds, and that even from ozone 4..
I can not find this to be true thou with ozone 5, no matter how I try, the hypervoxels will not be obscured by ozone clouds.

:mad:

Michael

You omitted vital information : What *have* you tried? :)

For example, did you turn on 'ray marching' within the Ozone options? That option is in Ozone 4, and Vue 8.5/9 xStream and is required to integrate volumetrics, etc. with the Ozone/Vue contributions. It's similar to the ground fog volumetric plugin in LW in that respect.

CaptainMarlowe
03-13-2011, 01:09 AM
it just hangs Layout on my Mac. :(

Phil
03-13-2011, 01:24 AM
it just hangs Layout on my Mac. :(

I've had that sensation before, assuming you're seeing the same thing. You hit F9 and after the render-in-progress dialog comes up, it just sits there seemingly doing nothing (Vue 8.5/9 xStream in my case, but I don't see that there should be much different with Ozone 5). Given some patience, it will start drawing. I get the impression that Vue is frantically trying to get itself organised to enable the rendering.

Phil
03-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Here's a Vue 9 test scene that has an HV sphere in a cloud bank. Render also attached. I'd be very surprised if this same effect doesn't work in Ozone 5.

CaptainMarlowe
03-13-2011, 05:35 AM
I've had that sensation before, assuming you're seeing the same thing. You hit F9 and after the render-in-progress dialog comes up, it just sits there seemingly doing nothing (Vue 8.5/9 xStream in my case, but I don't see that there should be much different with Ozone 5). Given some patience, it will start drawing. I get the impression that Vue is frantically trying to get itself organised to enable the rendering.

Nope, I can't even load an atmosphere, it just freezes layout...

Phil
03-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Nope, I can't even load an atmosphere, it just freezes layout...

Odd. I'd try Ozone 5, but am anxious that it doesn't trample over my Vue setup :D

prometheus
03-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks phil, It is finally sorted out, Hypervoxels can be obscured by ozone clouds.:thumbsup:

It was the ray marching option in the render options that I missed, sorry for having giving the wrong impression here.

oddly this also seems to have fixed the issue of objects turning up black in the VPR, now they look ok in that too, and the whole thing sounds a little better.
I suppose I should be able to get objects leave shadows from the sunlight volumetrics as well with this option on, Iīll get back to that later.

Havenīt checked turbulence yet either(together with ozone in VPR, turbulence itself works), turbulence has on my machine a irritating bug, wich means I have to move the mouse around continuosly to keep the simulation running...thatīs a time steeler, jawset is looking in to that, but havenīt been able to reproduce that.

Image..blue volume voxel sphere obscured by ozone 5 clouds.

Michael

safetyman
03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Just went to the e-on software website and got an error. And it says "Guru Meditation..." !!! Are they using an Amiga for their web server?

erikals
03-13-2011, 09:01 AM
screenshot please :]

prometheus
03-13-2011, 09:42 AM
some more issues with ozone, Ray marching option enabled is what you need to get VPR to render objects properly it seems, But ray marching seems to kill the sun glow totally, once the ray marching option is disabled, the sun appears again.

This goes for both VPR and lightwave final renders.

I turned on lensflares for the sunlight and it works in VPR..sort of, the lensflare seem to have an offset in relation to the real sunposition in the VPR render, but in the final render itīs okay.
stars renders to..all this is really blasting fast in VPR 0,5-4 seconds for refinement (approximation)
That is without cloud layers.
See image..

would be nice to have VPR improved with lightwaveīs own lensflares too.

Michael

prometheus
03-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Just went to the e-on software website and got an error. And it says "Guru Meditation..." !!! Are they using an Amiga for their web server?

Yeah I get that too now, maybe the migrated to India and bollywood:)

Michael

djlithium
03-13-2011, 09:45 AM
e-onsoftware has a free Ozone 5 ple version for you guys to try out.

I just installed it and havenīt tested it much yet.
It works with lightwave 10 and also with the VPR ..but you canīt have
the atmosphere editor open to tweak the settings and see it with the VPR at the same time, you have to close the atmosphere editor.
Same goes for that you have to switch off the VPR in order to open the atmosphere editor, so thatīs a little disappointing.

and within the ozone interface, I really canīt see much new in there, a slightly changed interface in colors and style, but thatīs it.
thereīs probably some improvements for the lighting atmosphere itself somewhere, but youīll have to check that on the e-on site.

It is still not possible to tweak cloud scale roughness and detail as in the vue program itself, and you can still not right click and change the density or edit the nodes for the noise functions within the cloud material, you can only load premade clouds materials from vue itself.
Thereīs however a randomiser for the clouds material wich could help a little.

the atmosphere editors previewer canīt be scaled either, so your left with a to small previewer, I thought that maybe thanks to VPR you could scale your own viewport to work that way, but as mentioned above, you cant have vpr or the atmoshpere editor open at the same time.

The VPR renders ozone atmospheres pretty fast thou, if you donīt smack up the viewport to full scale that is, and if you use the spectral 1 cloud layers, It will update the VPR pretty fast, for my machine..something like 3
-6 seconds , the spectral 2 cloud layers is much slower thou.

I will check how ozone works with hypervoxels and fluids later on.

Michael

Hey Michael. I have to say that I am really disappointed that E-On still hasn't listened to anyone that has ozone seats permitting you to edit and render without closing the editor down. It's a major drag for working on a shot and I was hoping they would have fixed this by now.
I have tried Ozone4 with VPR and it works, but its majorly touchy but I chalk that up to Ozone4 being... well Ozone4. It drives me nuts either way because I have 10 seats of Ozone3 that won't work in anything past 9.5 and then upgraded 2 of those seats to Ozone4 only to find that it was just as buggy and they still hadn't fixed the editor must be closed to render issue.
I think its really really lame that E-On charges for render nodes.
Sigh.
Thanks for checking this out and letting us know that some of these issues are still present. I may upgrade one seat and see how it is for speed improvements but until they fix that editor BS I'm not impressed especially when it cuts the artist off at the knees for workflow when we are exposed to things like VPR.

prometheus
03-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Michael. I have to say that I am really disappointed that E-On still hasn't listened to anyone that has ozone seats permitting you to edit and render without closing the editor down. It's a major drag for working on a shot and I was hoping they would have fixed this by now.
I have tried Ozone4 with VPR and it works, but its majorly touchy but I chalk that up to Ozone4 being... well Ozone4. It drives me nuts either way because I have 10 seats of Ozone3 that won't work in anything past 9.5 and then upgraded 2 of those seats to Ozone4 only to find that it was just as buggy and they still hadn't fixed the editor must be closed to render issue.
Sigh.
Thanks for checking this out and letting us know that some of these issues are still present. I may upgrade one seat and see how it is for speed improvements but until they fix that editor BS I'm not impressed especially when it cuts the artist off at the knees for workflow when we are exposed to things like VPR.

I agree, at this stage I would probably not invest in ozone even thou you can get amazing stuff with it, I would rather settle for the vue x-stream solution.
The UI interface for e-on ozone is a workflow killer, you might have thought they could at least get a Bigger preview window for clouds that makes it easy to see the cloud details, but no..thatīs only something for vue when you scale the viewport and preview window from there.

They must work on the atmosphere editor so we donīt have to close it for a VPR preview, Itīs just not satisfactory otherwise, tweakings need to update directly in VPR, otherwise they need to work on a big scalable preview renderer that renders everything lightwave does.

Apart from that, I want to see cloud material editing, and at least the same cloud detail editing tab such as it is in vue, with roughness, amount,scaling and uniformity...that is sorely missing in ozone.

Michael

OlaHaldor
03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I bought Ozone 3 for a job. The job went fine, but not without internal wars. I mean, mentally. I kept asking myself "why the heck did I buy this instead of a nice pack of HDR skies?"

I can see the need for volumetric clouds, but it's simply not worth it for a "sky generator".
I upgraded to Ozone 4. The upgrade notes were promising, but I found nothing had changed for me as a user. No speed changes, things still rendering super slow.. And now I can't even install Ozone 4 on LW10.

E-On won't get my $$$ any time soon.. All though, carbon scatter seems interesting. If they only could release it for LW10 and Mac...

prometheus
03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I bought Ozone 3 for a job. The job went fine, but not without internal wars. I mean, mentally. I kept asking myself "why the heck did I buy this instead of a nice pack of HDR skies?"

I can see the need for volumetric clouds, but it's simply not worth it for a "sky generator".
I upgraded to Ozone 4. The upgrade notes were promising, but I found nothing had changed for me as a user. No speed changes, things still rendering super slow.. And now I can't even install Ozone 4 on LW10.

E-On won't get my $$$ any time soon.. All though, carbon scatter seems interesting. If they only could release it for LW10 and Mac...

skip ozone..and if you can test some of the ple versions of vue-xstream is probably better.

I had some issues with ozone 4 installing too.
remove all old plugins close all programs and follow installation instructions carefully..and if you download ozone5 or x-stream ple..use firefox not explorer since it has a history of corrupting large files.

Michael

OlaHaldor
03-13-2011, 10:06 AM
There is no Explorer on Mac. Luckily. :D
I'll give it ago!

prometheus
03-13-2011, 10:08 AM
There is no Explorer on Mac. Luckily. :D
I'll give it ago!

Your on Mac..thatīs probably the issue:D

Rainbows works in vpr too..always a - less or a + more..depending on how you look at the wine glass (half empty or half full)

Michael

CaptainMarlowe
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM

I managed to install Ozone 3 on LW10, and it happens to work, even with VPR, but with the usual limitations of zone 3. Plus, it's very crashy, as it has always been... But it allows you to create the sky you want and then render an HDRI lightprobe. Better than nothing or than skytracer.

safetyman
03-14-2011, 06:06 AM
screenshot please :]

LOL -- it's working now. I should have taken a screenshot. :)

prometheus
03-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Lol..Not!

Try again!

Phil
03-14-2011, 07:09 AM

I suspect that this is a side effect of how Ozone/Vue work. There may not be much of a way to deal with this, but did you raise a support request with e-on? I've found them to be very communicative and receptive to constructive criticism. I've never had a support request go unanswered, either.

Ozone 4 was always solid as a rock for me. I grumbled about Ozone 3's broken volumetric integration, but 4.0 never let me down and I never had it crash or misfire in its release version.

I used to think that way. I then looked at the LW 3rd party plugin market and reconsidered. We've lost so many developers to either piracy or simply plugins being unable to keep developers economically comfortable, that I cannot blame e-on for wanting to keep money coming in.

For Vue, for example, you pay per-node, but you only pay once. If you keep the software under maintenance, you get all of the upgrades for the nodes automatically with no additional fee along with your regular workstation license.

Where there is room for debate is perhaps the pricing of the node licenses.

Again, it would be worth asking e-on. Vue has the same limitation, but until you mentioned it, I never really noticed. I suspect there are significant technological hurdles. Mind you, it's also worth noting that, at least for LW, VPR came very late in the day. Vue 9 was in late testing/release when 10.0 shipped, how could they implement support in time? The SDK wasn't publically available, to my knowledge.

Phil
03-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Lol..Not!

Try again!

They are being targetted by a DDoS. No idea why, but that's why the site keeps going down - not much that e-on can do about it, it seems. Hopefully they can trace the responsible parties and send them a very large bill along with a room full of lawyers.

prometheus
03-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Again, it would be worth asking e-on. Vue has the same limitation, but until you mentioned it, I never really noticed. I suspect there are significant technological hurdles. Mind you, it's also worth noting that, at least for LW, VPR came very late in the day. Vue 9 was in late testing/release when 10.0 shipped, how could they implement support in time? The SDK wasn't publically available, to my knowledge.

True, vpr might be one thing thou, as you mentioned thou about vue having the same limitation I wouldnīt agree with that, vue doesnīt have vpr but a very good preview window that sort of renders everything and more than vpr in lightwave does today, and that preview window in vue is very scalable if you move your viewports next to the previewer, so you can get a very large preview window, and that has been better in vue 8.5 and up.

Thatīs an absolut option to keep an artistic friendly workflow and actually be able to see finer details in clouds etc..the previewer in ozone is very small and canīt be changed as I know of, hopelessly not useful for working with the clouds, mainly just a thumb preview of the general look.

Michael

Phil
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
True, vpr might be one thing thou, as you mentioned thou about vue having the same limitation I wouldnīt agree with that, vue doesnīt have vpr but a very good preview window that sort of renders everything and more than vpr in lightwave does today, and that preview window in vue is very scalable if you move your viewports next to the previewer, so you can get a very large preview window, and that has been better in vue 8.5 and up.

Thatīs an absolut option to keep an artistic friendly workflow and actually be able to see finer details in clouds etc..the previewer in ozone is very small and canīt be changed as I know of, hopelessly not useful for working with the clouds, mainly just a thumb preview of the general look.

Michael

Read 'Vue' as 'xStream'. I was lazy.

dwburman
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
It's a good thing I don't need to order from them today... down for maintenance. :)

clagman
03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Vue's UI needs a serious overhaul. Way too much clicking and too many modal panels. Can't tear off tabbed interfaces so it's all existing in one viewport, the preview render isn't iterative and since you can't tear it off it makes you size the entire right side bar. The layers implementation kind of sucks since you can't "hide from GL viewport" individual objects that are part of a group. Would have been better if the GL toggle was next to the "hide from render" toggle. Yeshh I could go on and on...

What they did right is the timeline. I like the way you can get the graph/curve edit, keyframe display, and channels all in the same area. I really wouldn't mind devoting an entire display to having the timeline + FE all attached and open with toggles for making parts unseen to make room if you need.

The way I setup Lightwave takes up three screens sometimes so I can have it all out in the open ya know.

Phil
03-18-2011, 02:15 PM

You didn't tell me if you had filed reports. Since you brought it to my attention, I've fired in a bug report and got this reply (typo included) :

'Hi Philip,

Thank you for this report. We will try to fix it as soon as possible. I'll let you now when a patch is available.

Best regards.
Shawn Remo'

We'll see what happens. Generally e-on seem to deliver bug fixes when they commit to them.

prometheus
03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Uhhm...what a screw up, I am reloading saved scenes in lightwave 10 and
ozone 5 , opening the atmosphere editor, and all scenes are showing just a grey preview in the editor..no sky in there..:mad:

I must tell you..Im really getting fed up with these ple releases, I tried vue 7 ..vue 7.5 and they had this weird bug where I had saved spectral scenes and once reloaded the whole spectral scene switched to volumetric and destroyed my beutiful settings, removing all cloud layers etc.

and now this..blahh...I was trying to test how good cloud fly troughs would look like before the 30 day watermark free renders stops, after that it will be very useless to test.
I contacted e-on about the issues with vue ..they got back a long time after stating that they couldnīt help since they werenīt giving support to those ple versions.

Michael

prometheus
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Ahh...solved the case I think...

I needed to switch to VPR first and render the viewport, then in the atmosphere editor it shows up again.

Michael

prometheus
03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
naahh..repeating myself here..

A little hypervoxel trail test above and slightly through clouds..
Just tested how it would be obscured by clouds, didnīt bother about getting a good voxel trail thou:D

http://vimeo.com/21359403

Michael

erikals
03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
s-l-o-w.... :]

ActionBob
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Howdy all.. All this Ozone talk got me a little excited to see what the hum bub was about. So I went and downloaded the PLE 64-bit version for windows and Lightwave 10. After installing and following the directions for adding the menu, I only ever got runtime error and nasty crashes from Layout.

The screens looked pretty good, but I wasn't even able to try anything - f9 and VPR made Lightwave crash with Ozone 5 enabled......

-Adrian

Phil
03-23-2011, 12:11 AM
s-l-o-w.... :]

That depends. Since the Taiki developer decided to EOL his product (from what I can tell), it's very difficult to assess render speed because there is relatively little to compare to. The results from Vue/Ozone are pretty decent with low grain - something I didn't manage to achieve with Taiki before I became unable to use it.

There are also a number of things that can be done to speed up renders, such as changing the atmosphere type or adjusting the quality settings. The usual kind of things that one has to judge and adjust for each case. The documentation covers these, and the documentation appears to be correct and comprehensive unlike LW's.

erikals
03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
no EOL on Taiki afaik...
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pq1a-ogs/buy_e.html

bazsa73
03-23-2011, 01:54 AM
I dont like CG clouds, they look like as if drawn by a robot. No soul, no magic in them.
I rather take photos and if needed render or paint on top of them.

prometheus
03-23-2011, 01:57 AM
you know that this is pretty advanced algorithms involved for atmospherics, and yielding very realistic atmospheres etc..(cloud fractals could be better thou)
so with that in mind, It isnīt that slow considering.

I donīt think ogo taiki would be faster with quality settings to match ozone thou.

Besides I used spectral2 cloud layers here, and those are considerably slower than spectral1, You could lower that render time by more than half with spectral 1 layers.
If I werenīt using raymarching I could perhaps lower render time much more.

Hypervoxels in conjunction with ozone will most certainly increase rendertimes a lot.

a render time of 4-6 minutes a preview with the slowest most advanced cloud layers together with hypervoxels might not be considered slow really, the hypervoxels were also using volumetric shadowing, you could set up gradients to fake it a little, even thou I prefer the real thing here.

interesting to see how the rendertimes would be for a frame with a sky quality level at 3-4 wich migh be needed sometimes to remove grain, in this sample it was just set at 0.
Adding to that, switching to final render or broadqast render in ozone render options instead of preview would slow down a lot.
and of course..from this small preview size to Hd size or full Hd size..Even more render time.

Renderfarms are a must for high quality animations unless taking a one week vacation during rendertime.

Michael

prometheus
03-23-2011, 02:21 AM
I dont like CG clouds, they look like as if drawn by a robot. No soul, no magic in them.

Yeah photos are effective and most realistic sometimes, but lighting
might not match and depending on you need volumetric haze fog and rays, photos isnīt always the best choice.

Depends on wich artist is behind the CG clouds, photos or paints are surely the fastest and in some cases most realistic, but depending on scene complexity and interaction, cloud photos and paint will not match that scene and you could get better end results with volumetric engines.

Depends on the shot and the artist.

you know this cloud sample is just straight out of the samples, and that isnīt something I would use in End results...however as I mentioned before, ozone doesnīt allow you to tweak and view your designed clouds
the same way as in vue, due to UI limitations and missing features in the atmosphere editor.

You could design the atmosphere and cloud layers inside vue and export to ozone as a work around.

To be fully satisfying and unleashing the Artist and the results of more realistic clouds Ozone and vue needs better interfaces and better cloud
fractals and noises, or you need to take real cloud data from images for cloud density.

You could actually use lightwave procedurals such as rman collection with wind,gardner clouds,weather and render out top view density maps or even animated sequences and load in to vue.

Metaclouds is missing in ozone and in vue they need improvement.
those are good for designing clouds a little more to how you want them.

Edit...I do understand what you mean about no soul or magic thou, but thatīs more a case of learning to use the software in able to know how to tweak it to match exactly your image
you have in mind, a matte painter has a more direct connection to that image when painting with photoshop or corel painter or simple oil canvas..but that is something that I believe will
be better in future versions of atmospheric software.

Michael

WillBellJr
03-23-2011, 10:25 AM

E-On? Meh...

They lost me when I got the v5-Infinite bundle with Lightwave and they treated us like bastid chillen when it came to being able to upgrade.

Just what?, last year they finally offered v5 Infinite users a chance to upgrade - I downloaded the latest trial at the time, played around with it, MEH, same-ole-stuff and moved on...

For me as a hobbyist, discovering Carrara Pro was the best thing that could have happened.

Sure Carrara Pro (now v8) may not be as powerful as Vue in the atmospherics dept., but being able to do true modeling and other things was a decent enough trade off for me.

At least I had a VUE replacement.

There are definitely other options out there for creating environments for your models and scenes.

-Will

virtualcomposer
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM

that's a good idea. Sort of like mixing CG with real footage. You can't get any better then that.

virtualcomposer
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
E-On? Meh...

They lost me when I got the v5-Infinite bundle with Lightwave and they treated us like bastid chillen when it came to being able to upgrade.

Just what?, last year they finally offered v5 Infinite users a chance to upgrade - I downloaded the latest trial at the time, played around with it, MEH, same-ole-stuff and moved on...

For me as a hobbyist, discovering Carrara Pro was the best thing that could have happened.

Sure Carrara Pro (now v8) may not be as powerful as Vue in the atmospherics dept., but being able to do true modeling and other things was a decent enough trade off for me.

At least I had a VUE replacement.

There are definitely other options out there for creating environments for your models and scenes.

-Will

I just looked at their website and the animation is not very good and no where near Vue. If you're looking to do ultra realistic scenery, clouds and stuff like that, Carrara Pro wouldn't be a very good choice. It's looks like video game grade quality. Terragon has some really nice stuff but the interface is really hard to work around and the render time is out of this world. The 3D outcome truly beats Eon by a long shot. http://www.planetside.co.uk/

prometheus
03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I just looked at their website and the animation is not very good and no where near Vue. If you're looking to do ultra realistic scenery, clouds and stuff like that, Carrara Pro wouldn't be a very good choice. It's looks like video game grade quality. Terragon has some really nice stuff but the interface is really hard to work around and the render time is out of this world. The 3D outcome truly beats Eon by a long shot. http://www.planetside.co.uk/

I tested carrara long ago, and I got some decent clouds with the volumetric box clouds, I cant find the images right now thou, in some cases actually better than metaclouds in vue, the cloud layers thou..they sucked, the inderect lighting over landscape was really nice..giving a better quality over terrain than vue..had at that time.
carrara also has a nice instancing tools for trees...and the terrain editor wasnīt bad eiter..I liked the material shading for the landscapes.

But carra never seems to take off and improve on those stuff.

Hereīs some samples showing that ozone and turbulence fluids is working in all glory VPR viewports..

Dont crit me for not correct lighting or surfacing etc..I havenīt had time for that when itīs about tests like these:)

Almost true scale for the building I believe..so Itīs a large container, but the sim wasnīt that time consuming..
the first image cloud layers 1..and sorry I didnīt want to spend time with ozone and tweak the clouds for better realism, to small viewport..in vue I would have.

the second image..the spectral cloud layers 2, now we know that it was not any clouds surrounding that area I believe on that sad tragic day.

Regarding photos, when it comes to animated sequences with camera angles and clouds moving slightly...you might need something like this.

Michael

WillBellJr
03-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I'd suggest you download the v8 Pro trial and give it a spin - don't judge from what you see those folks doing at DAZ.

I agree with Prometheus that you can get decent results but it'd be nice if they step up their game a bit.

I don't think it will ever be a goal for them to try and compete with Vue and others. If anything, Bryce would be the one for that - haven't really played around with the latest versions though.

Terragen 2+ will always be the ultimate - I almost bought in until I saw their documentation was really lacking. I've been told it has improved, never went back to see if that's true or not.

Now that Carrara 8 Pro accepts normal maps and, HDRs (the 2 things I was really looking for), and a few other niceties, it's good enough for my needs.

If you're looking for the ultimate in realism or have a "2013" film project, then of course no, Carrara will most likely never be a choice for you...

-Will

prometheus
03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I think Ivé finished with testing ozone compability now..

the last thing I canīt get my head arround if it actually works, that is the volumetric lighting affecting lightwave objects, meaning that the objects should interfere and let the rays be casted around objects as in treeīs and sunlights gently passing through..but it just doesnīt seem to work as it does in vue, wich takes the beauty out of it if you would have to set up lightwave internal volumetric lights to match.

Raymarching option was used for testing.

Michael