PDA

View Full Version : LW10/32 Quicktime output is black & white

echadez
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Subject line (almost) says it all:

Rendering a quicktime animation in LW10 (32-bit mode) results in a black & white (greyscale, actually) animation. While the first time I did this I thought it was way-cool, now it's annoying and I'm trying to figure out how to correct it.

Rendering to still images outputs in color. Yup, I know I can render to still images and convert to an animation using QT Pro (which I have). But I'd like to see what's going on with QT, never-the-less.

Rendering a quicktime animation in LW10/64-bit mode results in a color animation (watermarked; at this time I only have a 32-bit license key b/c I just installed LW 10 this evening).

Any advice is appreciated.

brian.coates
03-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Check your compression settings for the QT output - they're probably set to greyscale only.

rsfd
03-12-2011, 02:55 AM
you won't find compression settings in LW-64.
Everything mentioned are known issues.
I had reported those already during the OpenBeta as case #32167 in Sept '10.

echadez
03-12-2011, 05:04 AM
@Brian: thanks. I thought that, too, but I checked that and it's set to millions of colors. I've tried almost all of the codecs (anim, h.264, none, etc) but the output is always greyscale.

Thanks. Are you saying the greyscale output is a known issue? Where can I read up on the known issues?

rsfd
03-12-2011, 05:30 AM
yes, the greyscale output is known to NT at least since my report from Sept '10 for the 9.6.1 OpenBeta. Same issue applies to LW 10.

The NT Bugreport system (FogBugz) (https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/) is a closed system, so you won't be able to read up all known issues.
You can only follow your own reports.
If you decide to send in your own about these issues, you don't need to log in at FogBugz, just choose "add new case".
Just follow the Report Instructions from Chuck (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73226), so that NT has enough info to work on it.

For the QuickTime issues, I would guess that NT probably cannot do that much, as it may be related to changes in Apple's QuickTime itself.
(Didn't get reply on that case, so that's only guessing. At least, I do know that Apple stopped implementing 64-bit PPC code since QT 7.6.6, and the new QuickTimeX seems to have less features as QuickTime7 right now)

echadez
03-12-2011, 05:45 AM
yes, the greyscale output is known to NT at least since my report from Sept '10 for the 9.6.1 OpenBeta. Same issue applies to LW 10.

Thank you. That's good to know.

rsfd
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
you're welcome!
(Feel free to send in a report yourself, multiple reports on the same issue may rise priority ;) )

echadez
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM
(Feel free to send in a report yourself, multiple reports on the same issue may rise priority ;) )

I thought so too, and I opened cases 37376 and 37377 this morning.

rsfd
03-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Nice! :)

Tony3d
03-12-2011, 09:18 AM

So Newtek knew about the bug in 9.6.1, and still conveniently featured on lightwave 10. This is what I hate about Newtek. I was going to upgrade to 10, but sounds like I'd just be another beta tester. I'm going to take a serious look at Moto. I downloaded the program yesterday, and really like what I see. Since I mostly do still work for print it will suit me fine.

rsfd
03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
^ as I mentioned, it might be that NT can't do anything to fix it because of changes in QuickTime itself. So this might be related to Apple, at least partly.

Yes, modo 501 is worth a deep look.
Cocoa version still needs some fixes with upcoming Service Packs, but I agree that this app is really on a good way.