PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #111 - Toddler Toys

ArtGoblin
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #111 - Toddler Toys.
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post wires and renders (if possible) at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

I was at work... trying to come up with a simple subject for us to speedmodel, and since I work in a kinder-garden it was a no-brainer! Let's get nuts with way-to-safe uber rounded edges and bright colors for those cool seemingly simple looking toys. Making a toy that is potentially lethal to a toddler doesn't mean you get disqualified, but it might affect the judging just a tiny fraction :) Have fun with this one! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 16th March 2011, 2200 GMT.

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
This is a nice challenge! I will certainly have fun.

a sandwhich
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is a yoyo, the best toy ever. It is almost exactly to scale to one I had sitting on my desk. Took me about ten minutes to model, then another 30 trying to texture it, only to give up. I really need to learn how to texture.

Iain
03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Here is a yoyo, the best toy ever. It is almost exactly to scale to one I had sitting on my desk. Took me about ten minutes to model, then another 30 trying to texture it, only to give up. I really need to learn how to texture.

I think you could really improve the model with a few minutes work. Even something this simple has a lot more to it and for a good macro-style render, a model like this could have thousands more polygons.

As a start, the discs at each end won't subdivide using subpatch, as you can see, so you could Smooth Shift them and continue refining the side until you can conclude it correctly by welding all the points or something similar.

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to make a quicky. Modeling took 15 minutes, texturing a bit longer.

Greetings,
Sigurd

a sandwhich
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
@Iain: I actually wanted to leave those sides as flat, the yoyo I based this off of doesn't have smoothed sides. What other things would you add? The model already has several thousand polys, as a result of the string. There is supposed to be a sharp inner curve, on the actual thing, it slopes outward.

Iain
03-10-2011, 12:56 PM
@Iain: I actually wanted to leave those sides as flat, the yoyo I based this off of doesn't have smoothed sides. What other things would you add? The model already has several thousand polys, as a result of the string.

Its not about the sides being smooth, its just that you have subpatched polygons abutting non-subpatched so they will never merge well in a render.

The key to good modelling is detail and proportion and you will probably find that the inner part of the yoyo has a sharper curve than the outer. When you start to observe this kind of thing and work out how to implement it in modeler, it all makes sense.

About the poly count, unless you're making game models etc you don't need to restrict yourself too much. I was meaning that the body could have thousands more.

Iain
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Great surfacing :thumbsup:

ArtGoblin
03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Hey all,

Greetings,
Sigurd

simple yet so elegant and beutifully shaded bringing out the vivid colors :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Thx guys, if you would only know how much I struggle with surfacing to achieve something easy as this.

a sandwhich
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Thx guys, if you would only know how much I struggle with surfacing to achieve something easy as this.

I hear you man.

Iain
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I hear you man.

You're in the right place-keep at these challenges and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll pick it all up.

Iain
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Just for reference...............

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92172

I appreciate we will be repeating challenge topics now as there are only so many decent topics so the previous ones are worth a look for additional learning points if nothing else.

ArtGoblin
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Whoops :O hehe... and I who thought I was being mr.original over here hehe.... ohh well, as long as it's not a topic we covered yesterday and if it's a decent one I guess it doesn't hurt ;) Could actually be fun to compare the entries of the two challenges together in the end

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Hehe, I didn't know about # 16, but then again, I don't care for a nice challenge to be repeated over time :). Thx for the link Iain, it's nice to see what others are capable of making in 60 minutes time.

JeffrySG
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109597&highlight=speed+modeling
This was another toy challenge with some nice entries, too. :) It's funny how we come back to the same topics for these challenges. People have similar ideas when it comes to a 60min challenge.

Great work so far everyone!

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that was a great challenge with really strong entries... Well, this challenge is still young so a lot can be added before it ends.

a sandwhich
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
You're in the right place-keep at these challenges and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll pick it all up.

Yep, I have had lightwave for a while, and I want to get better at it so I decided to work on these.

ch.schrul
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
The first thing that popped into my mind after reading the topic for this week: Ducky - the waddle duck! :)

Modelling:
I had to stop to catch the 60 minutes limit - and the model has some ugly bugs: the wheel doesn't touch the ground, the wings would flap to much and so on... but I'm still very happy with the result. Everything is subd modelled - a very good exercise for me.

Texturing:
Nothing special - around 5 minutes

Rendering:
This time I used Arion Render. Rendertime for every Ducky- Shot was around 3 minutes.

Chris

JeffrySG
03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
The first thing that popped into my mind after reading the topic for this week: Ducky - the waddle duck! :)

Modelling:
I had to stop to catch the 60 minutes limit - and the model has some ugly bugs: the wheel doesn't touch the ground, the wings would flap to much and so on... but I'm still very happy with the result. Everything is subd modelled - a very good exercise for me.

Texturing:
Nothing special - around 5 minutes

Rendering:
This time I used Arion Render. Rendertime for every Ducky- Shot was around 3 minutes.

Chris
Love the duck! great model and render. :)
How do you like Arion?

Iain
03-11-2011, 01:21 AM
That duck is superb! Great quality :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Great lighting and render! Could you post the wires from Modeler please?

ch.schrul
03-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Hey guys!

Thank you very much for your comments! :)

JeffrySG: the quality (with minimal effort) of Arion is superb. The render speed is fanatastic too. But it lacks in a few very important features (currently). Most important to me: the current version has no animation support, sss isn't possible and it has no instancing. The approach of Arion as a CPU + multi GPU renderer is fantastic and I'm sure it has a bright future. But it needs time.

Iain: Thank you so much!

COBRASoft: Thank you too! The lighting is just a simple hdr without any additional lights. Yepp, sorry for the missing wires!

Chris

Edit: just noticed the funny mesh of the wheels... don't ask me why I did it that way! :D

Iain
03-12-2011, 06:27 AM
A toddler's trike.
60 minutes modelling but the seat pad and ears were rushed.

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 07:53 AM
A toddler's trike.
60 minutes modelling but the seat pad and ears were rushed.

Love the cow- trike! Great work - especially the texturing is top! :thumbsup:

May I ask: how do you guys render those nifty wireframe shots?

Chris

Iain
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Love the cow- trike! Great work - especially the texturing is top! :thumbsup:

May I ask: how do you guys render those nifty wireframe shots?

Chris

Thanks Chris

There's a plug in called Polygon Coloring by one of the members here, Art, that you run in modeler and then render with Surface Borders checked in the Edges Tab for the model: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

Iain
03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
My local variety..................

jrandom
03-12-2011, 09:22 AM
The first toy I can remember from my childhood was this wonderful construction toy called Capsela.

I thought, "hey, what a simple geometric shape to make for speedmodel!" Two hours later I'm yelling at my screen, "It's still not @!&^$^%[email protected]&$% spherical! Why do the gods hate me?!".

I'm glad I didn't try to model one of the gearbox pieces or I'd still be at it. :)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93589&stc=1&d=1299946675

I'm also puzzling over just how difficult it's been for me to create a "cheap plastic" material. I thought computers were good at that. :P

toddd240
03-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Never did a speed model before.....I am just getting into Lightwave as my standard modelling program. As you can see I have no clue what I am doing with Lighting. If anyone has some good tuts I'd appreciate it.

Took me about 20 minutes for modelling.

chco2
03-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Well Todd.. Bet you started this challenge because of the name, right? :)

For a starter that is awefully good. Well done!
I would go for some soft lighting.. do the 3 light setyp with arealights, or use a dome light. If you really want to be done quickly and have not much detailed texturing on your model, just turn off all the lights and use Radiosity. With a scene like yours and lightwave, rendering will be really quick, even with radiosity.

In regards to your modeling.. try less geometry. the cubes could well be done with < 60 polygons..
If I'm not mistaking..www.liberty3d.com have a cheap and nice tutorial regarding SubD hardsurfacing modeling by Jeffry Gugick. Excellent resource!

Welcome on board!

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks Chris

There's a plug in called Polygon Coloring by one of the members here, Art, that you run in modeler and then render with Surface Borders checked in the Edges Tab for the model: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

Thank you! I'll try it out!

toddd240
03-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Well Todd.. Bet you started this challenge because of the name, right? :)

For a starter that is awefully good. Well done!
I would go for some soft lighting.. do the 3 light setyp with arealights, or use a dome light. If you really want to be done quickly and have not much detailed texturing on your model, just turn off all the lights and use Radiosity. With a scene like yours and lightwave, rendering will be really quick, even with radiosity.

In regards to your modeling.. try less geometry. the cubes could well be done with < 60 polygons..
If I'm not mistaking..www.liberty3d.com have a cheap and nice tutorial regarding SubD hardsurfacing modeling by Jeffry Gugick. Excellent resource!

Welcome on board!

Thanks for the info, and glad to be here.

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi all!

I've just finished my second entry for this challange: the sandbox!

Modelling: around 40 minutes - nothing special
Texturing: around 1h
Rendering: this time I used Fryrender -took around 2h

Chris

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 02:17 PM
The first toy I can remember from my childhood was this wonderful construction toy called Capsela.

I thought, "hey, what a simple geometric shape to make for speedmodel!" Two hours later I'm yelling at my screen, "It's still not @!&^$^%[email protected]&$% spherical! Why do the gods hate me?!".

I'm glad I didn't try to model one of the gearbox pieces or I'd still be at it. :)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93589&stc=1&d=1299946675

I'm also puzzling over just how difficult it's been for me to create a "cheap plastic" material. I thought computers were good at that. :P

That's a good one! But how do you use it? Never seen before...

jrandom
03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
That's a good one! But how do you use it? Never seen before...

I modeled the simplest piece which is simply a drive connector. Other pieces have motors, gear reducers and direction changers, worm gears, wheels, floaters, propellers, chain gears, etc... You snap them together using tubes that fit over the protrusions in the sphere.

Capsela on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsela)

I built this piece from memory so I got a few of the details wrong, but it was my favorite toy as a kid.

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I modeled the simplest piece which is simply a drive connector. Other pieces have motors, gear reducers and direction changers, worm gears, wheels, floaters, propellers, chain gears, etc... You snap them together using tubes that fit over the protrusions in the sphere.

Capsela on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsela)

I built this piece from memory so I got a few of the details wrong, but it was my favorite toy as a kid.

Cool! It reminds me of the toy called "meccano".

chco2
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice!
If you'd just created the bucket less "new" it would have been a really great render! Now it sticks out bit too much.
And.. try the lw native renderer for a change :)

Hi all!

I've just finished my second entry for this challange: the sandbox!

Modelling: around 40 minutes - nothing special
Texturing: around 1h
Rendering: this time I used Fryrender -took around 2h

Chris

COBRASoft
03-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

I never thought I would be able to model this in 60 minutes, but hey, I did!

Render will follow later. Here are the wires for now.

Btw, I guess the modeling of the horses head is not ideal. How could I make this better next time?

Greetings,
Sigurd

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice!
If you'd just created the bucket less "new" it would have been a really great render! Now it sticks out bit too much.
And.. try the lw native renderer for a change :)

Thanks! :)

- :agree: I have to agree about the new looking bucket. It disturbs the render. Will keep it in my mind!
- About the lw native render: Naaahh... I don't think so. There is a reason why I bought Fry and Arion after 6 years of lw rendering. Those speed modelling challanges are for me a speed scene setup/ materialisation/ render challange too and help me to improve my skills with the workflow for fry and arion to get the best out of them with minimal effort.

ch.schrul
03-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I never thought I would be able to model this in 60 minutes, but hey, I did!

Render will follow later. Here are the wires for now.

Btw, I guess the modeling of the horses head is not ideal. How could I make this better next time?

Greetings,
Sigurd

I thought the same after I modelled the "ducky"! :)

For the head, here's something I have for you:
The way how I would create the head

step 1:
first create a raw flat mesh for the basic shape. Usually I try to get in this first step a feel for the poly count and more important the poly flow.

step 2:
very simple - select the outer edges and hit extend. It gives you a nice border and helps you to "insulate" your basic mesh.

step 3:
hit extend again and move your selected edges to the middle of your final mesh. Here I've tweaked the snout a little because of some ugly distortions.

step 4:
to get a soft edge on the model I've tweaked the bordering polys. I've moved them a bit to the center of the model.

step 5:
just mirror and weld.

That's how I would create the mesh. How about others? :D

Chris

Wittywop
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Figured I would try and make one of the push toys that pops the balls around.

Modeling took me about 45 mins. I am really liking the subpatching. Took me a bit get the concept but once I did it is super powerful and seems a lot easier to mold objects.

I tried to do my own lighting this week. Seems really splotchy. I used two white objects with high luminosity. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

jrandom
03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Figured I would try and make one of the push toys that pops the balls around.

Modeling took me about 45 mins. I am really liking the subpatching. Took me a bit get the concept but once I did it is super powerful and seems a lot easier to mold objects.

Nice! I love the Sub-D tools in Lightwave. My only gripe is that you can't change the geometry of a layer after setting edge weights or the model goes nuts and you have to reset your weights to 0 and start over. Rargh.

I tried to do my own lighting this week. Seems really splotchy. I used two white objects with high luminosity. Any thoughts or suggestions?

There is a real art to getting good lighting with Lightwave. It's really powerful once you get the hang of it. I recommend starting with Except's Radiosity Guide (http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide96/index.htm) to get a handle on what all the settings do, and then start experimenting.

If you have small light sources, it's best to use actual Lightwave lights instead of luminescent polygons -- the randomly-bounced rays will only rarely hit small self-lit polygons (necessitating a huge number of rays for smooth results) but will always hit a Light if the point in question isn't in shadow.

My entry for this week's contest is the first time I've tried using an HDR image as environment lighting. I picked up some free images but don't yet know how to make my own from scratch. I should also probably get sIBL (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/) up 'n running since that apparently makes this whole technique easier to manage.

For you Lightwave 10 users, here's an excuse to use those nifty anaglyph glasses that came in the box:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93610&stc=1&d=1299993542

hcoat
03-13-2011, 12:55 AM
I know when you look at the wireframe you'll think "what the ...". Well, I kinda cheated and just used two metaballs. Why? Because it is so rare that I ever use metaballs I just thought it would be fun. metaball rez for the wireframe was 25, but the textured render was at 100. It took a couple of minutes, if that, to get the shape and about a half hour to texture it. This resembles a toy from when I was young, it was like weeble but better imo.

hcoat
03-13-2011, 12:57 AM
jrandom your anaglyph looks good. It really pops.

jrandom
03-13-2011, 01:04 AM
It took a couple of minutes, if that, to get the shape and about a half hour to texture it.

How did you texture that? It's perfect.

jrandom your anaglyph looks good. It really pops.

Thank you. The trick is to set your convergence point so the some of the image is in front of the screen and some of the depth is behind the screen. That way you can get maximum depth for the least amount of red/cyan divergence. Having LW10's anaglyph preview in the viewport really helps get this sort of thing set up correctly.

Now if only they would fix their parallel stereoscopic cameras so you could shift the images to set the screen depth point. Convergent stereoscopic is nice but can have some pretty serious keystoning issues not present in the parallel technique.

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Bumble ball.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/bumbleBall2.jpg

Some great entries!

jrandom
03-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Bumble ball.

Pretty!

Is that a Sub-D mesh? If so, how did you make all the protrusions without messing up the sphericalness of the main body? That was the biggest issue I had with my own entry (taking me way over the 1hr time limit).

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 01:22 AM
It is sub-d, when you do your smooth shift or whatever, you need to move it only a fraction, and then do your action again. this leaves a nice ring of edges right where you want the join.

hcoat
03-13-2011, 03:44 AM
How did you texture that? It's perfect.

Thank you. I drew the texture in Illustrator, move over to Photoshop and made a couple of tweak. Because I used metaball a UV map was out, so I just did a Cylindrical Wrap. I use an old school method of quarter and quarter again while producing the texture to get the placement of the texture where it wanted it. This method works well with Cylindrical map because each quarter of the texture is roughly equal to 90 degrees around the object.

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Antique rattle.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Rattle1.jpg

A toddler might be a bit old for this, but hey ho!

And some wires.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BumbleBallWired2.jpg

Iain
03-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Those last two are excellent XswampyX :thumbsup:

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks Iain. Entering all these speed challenges must be paying off. :hey:

I liked your cow, he looks exactly like the reference photo I saw on google images when I was searching for 'toddler toys'

COBRASoft
03-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey,

Here's a render of the horse I made earlier.

XswampyX: those 2 renders look awesome! Great job.

Greetings,
Sigurd

chco2
03-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Have this in the room here for my youngest.. doesn't use it to walk anymore, just to smash it into other things :)
Anyhows.. 40 mins modeling (bolt and nut took the longest :))

Wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler_wire.jpg

Render 1:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler2.jpg

Render 2:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler1.jpg

And just for fun:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler3.jpg

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Arrrgggggh my eyes! :D

Nice walker, if you don't mind, how did you do the handle ? I find if I use the bend tool, it goes all over the place.

Some wires....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Rattle1Wired.jpg

chco2
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
lol.. Ask me about the bend tool and then drop the wire of the rattle... pfff show-off! :D

Bend tool works rather well.. There's one video from William that explains it rather well..

Arrrgggggh my eyes! :D

Nice walker, if you don't mind, how did you do the handle ? I find if I use the bend tool, it goes all over the place.

Some wires....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Rattle1Wired.jpg

XswampyX
03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Erm....

I'm ok bending one bar, anymore than that and it gets interesting.

Will practice some-more.

Thanks. :D

COBRASoft
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Such a handle can easily be made with a curve, a disc and rail clone. An easier way is to use LWCad, make a curve and use profiler :).

chco2
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Hehe.. Well I ended up only bending one bar as well.. then mirror, then bridge.

Erm....

I'm ok bending one bar, anymore than that and it gets interesting.

Will practice some-more.

Thanks. :D

MDSPECIFIC
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Among many other things, including some of them posted in this thread, paper wind wheel. :)

Modeling 10 min (frezze Sub-D object), texturing and lightning 5 min.

toddd240
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Here is my second entry.....since I am still learning I am trying to keep it very simple and add a few things here and there. Eliminated one item during surfacing.

Modelling took about 20 minutes.

ch.schrul
03-14-2011, 08:10 AM
So many great entries and high quality work here! Wowww!

Amurrell
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
This may be a little bit of a younger toy, but I thought I would try this speed modeling out one more time. It's rough, but only took 35min to model. Played around in layout for a bit and this is what I got.

Model:

And the render: (somehow the CS reset to default so...)

jrandom
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
This may be a little bit of a younger toy, but I thought I would try this speed modeling out one more time. It's rough, but only took 35min to model. Played around in layout for a bit and this is what I got.

What technique did you use to give the outer shell a thickness?

toddd240
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Model:

And the render: (somehow the CS reset to default so...)

Did you use a boolean on the inside of that and then cut holes?

ArtGoblin
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow! so many great entries so far you guys! Looks like this one is going to be hard to judge...

Got inspired by seeing all the entries so far, so I decided to model a little something just for fun... made this ragtag squeeky giraffe thingy (bought one for my son the other day). 35 minutes of modelling, and hopefully I'll get around to place the textures soon... it's really a charming little toy :)

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4364/giraffefluffwireframesc.jpg

Amurrell
03-14-2011, 05:18 PM
What technique did you use to give the outer shell a thickness?

I just used a tessellated sphere, used multishift for the the polys that would make up the holes, deleted the polys, copied the object placed the copy in the BG and flipped the normals inside. Went back to the original layer, selected everything used extend and the size tool to increase it's size, then copied the other layer back to the original and merged the points. This is the way I had to do it since I don't have the thicken plugin, I think it's called. Then I ran band saw around each of the holes to ensure thickness after using CC subdivision.

The dimples were made with the multishift tool. I could possibly put something together to show the steps if anyone is interested.

chco2
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Not really pleased with the result.. but well..
Good hour modeling

wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler_nijntje_wire.jpg

Render1:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler_nijntje_1.jpg

Render2:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/toddler_nijntje_2.jpg

chco2
03-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Iain,

Just noticed.. the Speed modeling challenge Sticky in the form got stuck @ #100 :)

Iain
03-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Iain,

Just noticed.. the Speed modeling challenge Sticky in the form got stuck @ #100 :)

Oh yeah - Dave (TheDeacon) was doing that. I'll give Vanita a shout.
Thanks.

Iain
03-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Another one. 30 minutes modelling.
My kids had this one and spent hours doing this really repetitive task. Its the simplest things................

toddd240
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
As a novice modeller, I am learning quite a bit from these entries and discussion. There is some real quality work here. Good job guys.

Mitja
03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's my entry, again after 100 challenges. Modeling took 20 minutes, texturing other 20. And guess what?! No subpatches! Just this time... ;) Hope you like it!

jrandom
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Here's my entry, again after 100 challenges. Modeling took 20 minutes, texturing other 20. And guess what?! No subpatches! Just this time... ;) Hope you like it!

No subpatches!! Why... why that's heresy! What good is a model if it doesn't have barely-noticeable rounded edges and is subdivided into so many triangles you have to run in 64-bit mode just to store them all? :P

(Nice texturing, BTW.)

toddd240
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Did you use a lightwave native bump for the wood grain or use your own?

COBRASoft
03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Rounder could do wonders on that train. Nice colorfull render.

chco2
03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Good thing I'm not judging this contest :)
Great entries people!

ArtGoblin
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Took some hours and textured this bad boy hehe :) Keep em' enties coming folks !

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2035/giraffefluffbeautycompe.jpg

jrandom
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Took some hours and textured this bad boy hehe :)

I am envious of your cloth texture abilities! How'd you do that?

Mitja
03-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks for comments, I appreciate!
For bump I used just a simple image (so not a LW preset).
And I'll give it a general "roundation", just to make you forget there's no subpatches! ;)

Forgot... Great entries folks. I especially like Artgoblin's giraffe, supa dupa texturing!

Iain
03-16-2011, 03:43 AM
OK my last one :D

A little wooden alligator. 20 minutes modelling.

COBRASoft
03-16-2011, 04:15 AM
ArtGoblin: have fun judging this challenge :)!

OnlineRender
03-16-2011, 04:16 AM
OK my last one :D

A little wooden alligator. 20 minutes modelling.

Iain you need to write a pdf or do a video tut on rendering ,you have it down to a fine art .

Mitja
03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Iain you need to write a pdf or do a video tut on rendering ,you have it down to a fine art .

Agree!!!

Iain
03-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks but I'm not sure what I'd put in something like that.
I'm happy to post my scenes-everything is in there.

A wee close up............

jrandom
03-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I've gotten so irked at my lack of materials compared to what people are coming up with here that I'm diving into creating a material library. If I come up with any good one's I'll share them -- as a challenge to myself (and to make them more useful to others) I'm going to stick with nothing but the standard nodes that come with LW10 (so no third-party nodes and no texture maps).

Ian, your lighting is brilliant and I'd love to see a tutorial.

ArtGoblin
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I am envious of your cloth texture abilities! How'd you do that?

Well... the texturing part isn't that complicated really. I used the 2Dgrid node and a turbulence node to create the cloth-like texture, then it was just a matter of coloring different parts. On the body there's a cylindrical UV map, just for a mask to let the orange flakes through. Then I used a Planar UV map for the face coloring. Other than that I used a small percent of really blurred reflection and the occlusion shader plugged into the diffuse.

ohh... and if you were wondering... the seams arent't textured, they're modelled in using the edge bevel tool :)

Mitja
03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's my rounded version. I rounded the unroundable!

Edit: added wires... Hmmm, very rounded wires!

chco2
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Little rounding can do magic :) Nice!

jrandom
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Very nice! The rounding was the icing on the cake, so to speak.

chco2
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I was wondering..
With the speedmodeling contests..

Judgement is done on the modeling, however, there mostly always talk and questions regarding the rendering/texturing/lightning.

Should we do something with that ?
I mean..like a texture/lightning/rendering contest ?

ArtGoblin
03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
ArtGoblin: have fun judging this challenge :)!

I probably will ! so many awesome entries to look at and study :) But it doesn't look like it will be easy choosing a winner hehe

ArtGoblin
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
I was wondering..

Judgement is done on the modeling, however, there mostly always talk and questions regarding the rendering/texturing/lightning.

hmmm... yeah it would certainly be interesting. I'd like it if we'd kind-of just run a little texturing/shading brainstorming session each week. Pick a subject to texture or a certain situation to deal with. Then ask people to come up with there solution's and kind of work toghether on refining and helping eachother out. If we could get it to work (as in people being actively participating) we could be creating an invaluable source of information that could perhaps go beoynd what most tutorials do (since we'd focus extensively on a small project or maybe just one type of surface, so we should be able to really seriously disect the problem ahead to depths that most surfacing tutorial's don't get into)

Mitja
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
I was wondering..

It would be great. Howerver lighting and texturing take a lot of time, I don't think many of us have so much time to spend on such a challenge. Maybe if it's on a month basis...
The winner could prepare a model, a scene, with a given camera view, and then people would just light and texture it. But again, it would be only simple scenes.
Anyways, I think it's good to have a modeling challenge, even if people do ask mainly about texturing and such. The winner is always judged on the modeling side, the render is just a plus. Personally, I find it very useful to see models wires. With that I can understand how an object was modeled, not the ssame with lighting and texturing, and I guess that's why there's a lot of questiona bout these.

chco2
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Sure!
But I'm not saying ending the modeling challenges.. not in the least. I learn too much on these challenges.
But if you look at the end-results. Most people do take their time to texture, light and render it very nicely.
I myself would benifit a lot from a texturing/lightning and rendering challenge.

We could use some of the objects presented in the "Free Modeling Challenge Models (http://2lk.nl/2bs)" thread. Or indeed, the winning SpeedChallenge model (if the winner don't mind posting their work).

Anyhows, it was just an idea in my head and wanted to know what everyone thinks about this. We surely need a good base of people fancying the idea.

COBRASoft
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I would love other challenges too, but the modeling challenges are here to stay :)!

Chco2: I agree with you that most people compliment on the results and not the wires.
That's why I tried to 'judge' on the modeling and comment that specifically.

P.S.: You see, rounder is your best friend when not modeling in SubD. Nice rounded train.

Amurrell
03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
One more entry. You guys got me addicted, dang it. Just wanted to see how quickly I could get something modeled since I'm so rusty. 15 min and a bunch more in layout.

Render:

Wire:

jrandom
03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
One more entry. You guys got me addicted, dang it. Just wanted to see how quickly I could get something modeled since I'm so rusty. 15 min and a bunch more in layout.

I guess I might as well ask a non-texture-related question :)

I've never created/extruded outlines using native Lightwave tools before. What method did you use to create the outlines of the keys before extruding?

Amurrell
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Actually I started with a box and made a few cuts with the knife tool and extending what I needed out. Killed the polys, added points for the key ridges, made this whole thing into one poly, the used true fillet for the rounded edges then extruded the shape and used rounder on the edges. And multishift in a little, but some of the rounds have such small radii that I couldn't do what I really wanted to without some extra work.

(and I fixed the texture :) seams are still there though)

OnlineRender
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Late entry EXTREMELY LAZY "in render and model " see stats :rock:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2503/wireswheel.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9918/wiresjpgu.jpg

chco2
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
My thursday is almost over ArtGoblin... :)

COBRASoft
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, only 1 hour left here AG...

ArtGoblin
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
WOW!!! I'm trying to sort out the winner here... and holy schit there are just soooo many awesome entries! I'd like to make a collage out of all of them if you guys don't mind, just so everyone can see in one go how super-cool and fun these speed challanges can be... but first... I have to sort out the winner

chco2
03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
No problems here..

WOW!!! I'm trying to sort out the winner here... and holy schit there are just soooo many awesome entries! I'd like to make a collage out of all of them if you guys don't mind, just so everyone can see in one go how super-cool and fun these speed challanges can be... but first... I have to sort out the winner

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Great idea...

We're waiting to congratulate the winner :).

chco2
03-20-2011, 05:21 PM
And it's monday :)
ArtGoblin should get a crashcourse in decision making ;)

Great idea...

We're waiting to congratulate the winner :).

ArtGoblin
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
hehe... actually, it's not the decision making that is taking such a long time, it's finding the time to really look at and give honest feedback on all the entries... sorry guys, I had it in my mind that there was no hurry as well so I've been draging my feet in this... but as luck would have it, I'm on it right now :)

COBRASoft
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Ow... the tension...

Giving honest feedback on all the entries is a massive undertaking which I underestimated a lot.

Good luck :)!

ArtGoblin
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
The moment you have been waiting for ...... the verdict :devil:

@a_sandwich - Yoyo: This would be a very usable model even though it's simple. Not bad for 10 minutes... some hours sitting and giving this proper textures and shading and it would rock!

@COBRASoft - Rings: This is of all the entries... still my favurate rendered image! Really awesome shading there my friend!

@ch.schrul - Ducky: Very nice modelling... I'm having a hard time seeing those glitches in the model that you mentioned... all I see is a very effecient model and a beautiful render to follow

@Iain - Trike: Had to look again after I read that you had rushed the ears and cushion/seat... it really doesn't show. Very clean and versatile modelling there and the cow version render just makes me want to buy one (not for my kid, but a grown-up sized one for myself)

@jrandom - Capsela: Feels spherical to me. Computers may or may not be good at doing "cheap plastic" shaders.... but I think you nailed it!

@toddd240 - Car & Cubes: Not bad considering that you're new to Lightwave. Allthough you could used probably around 1/20 of the amount of poligons to achive the same form, I see you have a basic understanding on modeler and layout. Looking forward on seeing you master LW. Ohh and bytheway... here's a good collection of LW tutorials, both basic and advanced http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/tutorial-roundup-63-outstanding-lightwave-tutorials/

@ch.schrul - Sandbox: Love it! Simple but efficient model and wow! seeing you're rendered results on such a simple mesh I really want to give fryrender a go

@COBRASoft - Wiggling Horsy: Nice hardbody subpatch modeling! Clean and sweet render to follow

@Wittywop - Popping Balls Trolley: Yes... sub-d's are awesome and I'm glad you're having fun with them! It looks nicely modelled but I'm missing the wires so I can't really judge

@hcoat - Wobbly guy: Awesome texturing! When I read that you had just used metaballs, I started thinking if you could do this with two Hypervoxel'd points as well, could be an option for a cool effect or something... just thinking outloud here hehe

@XswampyX - Bumble ball: Looks like a potentially tricky thing to model, but you did it all so cleanly... The render is really colorfull and cool and you managed to give it a feel of motion as well. Good Job!

@XswampyX - Antique rattle: This is most awesome! I'm getting used to seeing you're clean models and supercool renders by now, but with this one you just took it a level up for me in terms of modeling!!

@chco2 - Trolley: Precicion modeling and clean polyflow as well! Like that you did the bolts and everything.

@MDSPECIFIC - Paper wind wheel: For 15 minutes that is really impressive work!

@toddd240 - Toy Blocks: That render has a soft and soothing feel to it. You could have gotten away with fewer sides on the cylinders but appart from that you're getting the know on subpatches

@Amurrell - Sphere with holes: Thats some nifty and clean modeling right there... nice use of CatmullSubpatches

@chco2 - Bunnys: Again... I love the precision details in your models... don't get why you're not happy with it.. I'd say that's a really effective hours modeling, and a nifty render to follow

@Iain - Shapes: Really really clean and seemingly perfect modeling from you again... as usual (dude I don't think I've ever seen a crappy model from you!). And loving the colorful render as well

@Iain - Aligator: I love it... one of those toys that stick out in the store becouse of how well it's crafted. Really impressive for just 20 minutes, and the shading on the wood looks perfect

@Mitja - Choo Train: Really simple but extreemely correct and nice model. After you rounded those edges... that's one of the most photorealistic renders in this challenge!

@Amurrell - Keys: Super simple and thats a good thing. Nice rendering as well... only crit would be that I wonder if you couldn't have gotten away with fewer sides when you rounded the edges of the keys

@OnlineRender - WheelonWires: Yeah.. I get what you mean when I see the poligon count... seems a bit high. But the model itself looks good to me, can imagine with a little more "plastick'y" surface in there it would have photoreal potential

Ok.... sooooo the winner is....... Iain! with his "Shapes" thingy, the perfectness and the fact that it's only 30 minutes is just too awesome not to win 1st prize ;) congrats mate! And in second place I place XswampyX for his totally cool "Antique rattle" :)

Amurrell
03-20-2011, 11:25 PM

I'm good with a collage. That sounds like a great idea.

And congrats Iain!

chco2
03-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Congratulations Iain!
And Kudos Artgoblin for a very detailed conclusion!

Iain
03-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks Artgoblin :thumbsup:
Great breakdown too.

I'm really enjoying having enough free time to enter the challenges again.

Keep up the good work guys!

Mitja
03-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Congrats! The quality in these challenges is constantly increasing! A bravo to everyone! :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-21-2011, 03:41 AM
congrats iain! (and xswampyx too)

artgoblin: thx for the detailed feedback. very nice judging.

XswampyX
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Well done Iain.

I really enjoyed all the entries in this one.

:thumbsup:

MDSPECIFIC
03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Great toys guys!
Congratulations Iain!
ArtGoblin, nice analyse. :)

ArtGoblin
03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Here's the collage... I was mainly focusing on creating a whole image that would kind of sell the idea of the speedmodeling challenge... see how much cool stuff we produce in each challenge?!? it's simply amazing, and I hope this might inspire more people to join in on the speedmodeling challenges no matter the experience level.

Ohhh I've been bad and cropped some images to make 'em fit inside the standard frames... hope no one feels like I'm ruining their art.... and if someone feels like I've abused their images, please let me know and I'll take it down ASAP ;)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9428/toddlercollagecomp.jpg

jrandom
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Nice! (Could use a slight bit of sharpening... :P )

COBRASoft
03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Great job ArtGoblin! This should go in the newsletter :).

ArtGoblin
03-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Glad you like it guys :) and sorry about the fuzziness on some parts of the collage... it's due to the subtle DOF I did on it.... again I wasn't really taking too much care to show off all the great images... but rather creating an illustration just showcasing thumbnails and giving an idea of the power and awesomeness of the Speedchallenges :) But I could rerender it without the DOF if you guys think it would be better... just let me know

JeffrySG
03-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Great work everyone! Congrats, Iain!