PDA

View Full Version : Newtek, please reorder/structure forum threads!

prometheus
03-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I cant for the life of me understand why the lightwave all application documentation workshop forum Is at the bottom of the whole page after vue and fusion discussions and after a whole lot of other forums not lightwave related.

The same goes for the layout modeler workshop wich are also down there in the end of the main forum page, wouldn´t it be better to have those closer to the rest of the lightwave forum topics?

Michael

JeffrySG
03-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I think all of the private and beta / HC forums are at the bottom. Not everyone has access to those areas. That might be why they are located at the bottom? Not sure. I close up all of the areas I don't view with the little (-) icon on the right so it's not that far down for me.

prometheus
03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I think all of the private and beta / HC forums are at the bottom. Not everyone has access to those areas. That might be why they are located at the bottom? Not sure. I close up all of the areas I don't view with the little (-) icon on the right so it's not that far down for me.

Cant tell really, as a guest you can see them showing up at all, and
if youré not a HC member you would notice if you try to acess it.

simply put them under the HC forums in that case or put a statement beside them that they are HC classified in that case, It just feels awkward not having lightwave forums close to each other, instead they are easy lost as forums down the road.

Michael

paulhart
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I would welcome a way to custom my view to exclude the Tricaster and some other areas, when I come in and Click on "New Posts" just show me the ones in the area that I have selected in my preferences.

Chuck
03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I cant for the life of me understand why the lightwave all application documentation workshop forum Is at the bottom of the whole page after vue and fusion discussions and after a whole lot of other forums not lightwave related.

The same goes for the layout modeler workshop wich are also down there in the end of the main forum page, wouldn´t it be better to have those closer to the rest of the lightwave forum topics?

Michael

There is a public section for discussion of the documentation in the LightWave Support section: http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=182

The section you mention is in HardCORE, and you can only see it because you are a HardCORE member. The HardCORE section is now subdivided, and you are misinterpreting the subdvision headers as meaning that you've left HardCORE. If you click on the main HardCORE header itself, you'll note that you get a forum view that is just the HardCORE sections, and that it includes the sections you are concerned about. Since this thread is really a HardCORE discussion, I will move it there.

BTW, just to doublecheck, I viewed the forum as a guest and no sections lower than the classifieds are visible.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Chuck, there does need to be a little broomwork here on the forums. Sometimes the "sticky" threads seem to take up the majority of the screen.

I hope you can offload this onto an intern. I suggest:

1) Moving CLOSED forums somewhere-- actually, there's only one ("9.6 discussion") but it's taking up premium space.

2) Winnow and/or consolidate the Sticky threads.

3) ADD a Surfacing/Texturing/Nodes forum-- right now there's no dedicated area for that topic, AFAIK. It's a continual surprise. I think the breadth and complexity of the topic warrants its own home.

COBRASoft
03-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Same goes for modeling (SubD, ...) and lighting. A seperate forum for those would be very welcome.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, a modeling forum! (Hard to believe it doesn't exist.)

COBRASoft
03-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Lucky we have the speed modeling challenges, at least a place to learn a lot about modeling in LW :). It should be a forum on it's on actually.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
The speed modeling challenges are great, but a central discussion area for just mesh creation would make a lot of sense.

After all, there's a CA forum, that's pretty specialized.

I'd go with at least these division (some of which may exist):

Modeling
Surfacing
Dynamics (simulated motions)
Motion (keyframed motion)
CA

I think those are all different enough to make sense.

Surrealist.
03-12-2011, 05:25 AM
I would suggest however merging keyframe and CA together into Animation. There are so many ways in which these two things cross over.