PDA

View Full Version : Intel W3680 hyper-threading question.....

Snosrap
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
...... I thought I'd ask here because there seems to be a lot of really smart people that visit here. Kind of LW related, but not really. My company just purchased 4 new Dell T3500 Workstations with the six core W3680. None of the systems had hyper-threading enabled upon delivery. Our IT guy enabled them all through the BIOS. However the one delivered to me cannot be enabled in any way shape or form. He and I have tried everything it seems to no avail. The machine still renders super fast, but I think the extra cores will even make it faster. If anyone would have any insights or suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!

JonW
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
It will be faster with rendering. I tested my W5580 running 3dspeedmachine benchmark, I can't remember the exact speed, but with Hyper-threading off it's about 30% slower. If the box is going to be used with applications that can't use more than six cores, leave it off (or in this case off anyway!). Otherwise send it back to Dell. I would send it back anyway because you may want to use the HT later.

My guess is 3dspeed scene should render in about 82 seconds with HT on with the W3680. (2 x W5580 63 seconds)

Snosrap
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks JonW. When I arrived at work this morning the IT department had it rebuilt and sitting on my desk. All 12 cores now work. Not sure what they did.