PDA

View Full Version : Retime whole scene?

Nangleator
03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
What's the best way to retime a whole scene? I've got a great, complex scene that lasts 450 frames. I want it to last 1,350 frames.

I tried using the Scene Editor, selecting all the keyframes in the dope track, but I don't have any 'stretch' command there.

Do I select every possible channel in the Graph Editor?

Do I fiddle with the frames per second?

(I should know this, but I'm under the gun and rattled.)

3DGFXStudios
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
You can just stretch it in the new scene editor's dope sheet. or do it with the rmb command also in the dope sheet.

Nangleator
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Okay, I used the classic scene editor and got it done. In the future, I'll look for the menus in the scene editor. I tried a few combinations and couldn't come up with a useful menu.

Thanks!

jeric_synergy
03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Be aware that certain things will NOT get properly scaled when using that function: envelopes or settings that are 'buried' in plugins and such.

Ran into that w/one of DPont's newer plugins. It was a setting, not an envelope-- I think envelopes have a better chance of being correctly scaled, since the core code can get at them thru the GE. (Another argument why everything should have an envelope, even if it "doesn't make sense".) >|^P

Nangleator
03-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Yes, I have discovered this. Fortunately, it was short work to make the corrections. In this case.

Funny thing that I had to start this thread. I should have known how to do this.

LightWave is such a huge app, I don't think I could ever memorize all the commands... so I develop a library of generalized concepts, which, when I need them, I go hunting for. I actually read about new features and don't bother trying to remember anything other than "Oh, it does this now." When a new problem arises and I can match it to something in my memory, I've got to hunt down the plugin and learn it from scratch.

dwburman
03-11-2011, 09:47 AM
You may want to select all the keys in the scene editor, right click and select "Quantize". That will snap the keyframes to whole frames so you don't get fractional keyframes.

In the Scene Editor dope sheet, you can drag a selection around keys and then grab the edge of the selection to stretch the keys. You can also right click and select "Numeric Time Scale"

If you click in the empty column to the left of the keyframes, it will select all the keys in that row. If you click in box on the top of that column (the keyframe number row), it will select all of the keyframes.

I made a quick video.

http://screencast.com/t/A8c4jGtU3y

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Funny thing that I had to start this thread. I should have known how to do this.

LightWave is such a huge app, I don't think I could ever memorize all the commands...
Hey, I hear you. I've learned the "set subdivision to LAST" thing at least five times, and I keep forgetting it.

What would be nice is if LAST were the default (since it seems far more useful than the current default) or if users could set the default for their own personal use.

3DGFXStudios
03-11-2011, 10:19 AM
What does the subdiv order have to do with scaling keys? But it would be handy to have that option in the preferences...

Nangleator
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Side issue. We're discussing the difficulty of fitting the interface within meat RAM.

3DGFXStudios
03-11-2011, 10:50 AM
oh missed that ;)