PDA

View Full Version : combining long list of surfaces in surface editor

lreyes
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a lot of items in a object, so when I am in layout, the surface editor has a long list of those surfaces of each object, is there a way to combine or shorten the list into groups, so I do not have a long list which makes it hard to find surfaces.

dwburman
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Not that I know of, but if you have the VIPER (not VPR mode) open (or FPRIME) you can select a surface by clicking on it in the preview window.

xchrisx
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
add a prefix to them such as "group1_surfname" "group2_surfname" etc
then in the surface editor there is a Filter By Name pull down (make sure its set to that)
then type in "group1" in the pattern box below it and press enter. that should only display the surfaces with that group.
-chris

lreyes
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Does that mean I have to go back and rename all surfaces from scratch in Modeler, or can I do it in layout...sounds promising? If I rename all objects in modeler, will the surface I named previously go away or what?

nickdigital
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
You can do it in either. Just remember that if you're changing the surfaces in Layout you'll need to resave the object.

Renaming the surfaces will just do that, rename it. You won't lose the surface settings.

lreyes
03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
will give it a try..hope I can manage:thumbsup:

lreyes
03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
but if you rename the surface, what will happen to the name of the initial surface, will that name still be there?, that would put the old name surface in Layout, there is not way to delete the old name?

nickdigital
03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Well, your old surface name will become your new surface name. It'd be the same as changing the name of a file on your computer. You wouldn't have your old surface name.

If you're concerned about having unused surface names you could reload the object. But I think that's an issue in Modeler when you make a new surface...not rename a surface.

SplineGod
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
You might also try and seeing what can be done via the scene editor. It does have the abilty to edit surfaces there as well.

zapper1998
03-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I like the group1, group2 method

thats a cool idea ...

see learn somfunnew every day

digefxgrp
03-09-2011, 04:31 AM
There's a modeler plugin called "Surface Rename Editor" that allows you to select given surfaces from your list and modify the names en masse. You can add prefix and/or suffix strings to the existing names, add numbers, etc.

Not sure now where to find it now since Flay no longer has it's LW plugin database.

nickdigital
03-09-2011, 09:14 AM
There's a modeler plugin called "Surface Rename Editor" that allows you to select given surfaces from your list and modify the names en masse. You can add prefix and/or suffix strings to the existing names, add numbers, etc.

Not sure now where to find it now since Flay no longer has it's LW plugin database.

Is it this?
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/max3dc/28160669.html

digefxgrp
03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes, That's the one!

jeric_synergy
03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Now go enter it into LWpluginDB.com.