PDA

View Full Version : Planning to get a MacBook Pro

ken_g9
03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Anyone one here using a Windows PC and a Mac? I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro (the 2011 version) and I'd like to know how files can be interchanged between the two OS. I'll be using Lightwave on both and will be occasionally transferring files between the two OS using an external hard drive and a NAS. Any possible issues with file system? I've been using Windows and Linux, but haven't used OSX for my own workstation.

Any ideas if OSX 10.7 will be worth the wait?

Dexter2999
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure, it's been a few years since I worked with a Mac on a network. But aslong as the drive is formated NTFS, I think it works fine.

And I had to run some program to make the Mac play nice on the PC peer-to-peer network.

I don't think I would even want to try that now because I have no idea what Windows 7 is doing with it's networking. They seem to have made it exponentially more complicated and automated everything to make it more "user friendly". And in doing so, I have no idea what is going on anymore. Used to be just set the IP address, and the subnet mask, share and go. Not anymore.

4dartist
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I have all my 3d assets on a Mac Mini cube in a closet here, and load scenes on Macs and PCs from that Mini and there isn't any issues. They both read and write files to the server fine and it doesn't matter which computer wrote which file. The files are stored on a Drobo that is plugged into the mini, just fyi.

The mini is running the server version of OSx but I doubt that matters much, it's pretty 'out of the box'.

So.. No problems here for Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Windows XP. Not sure about windows 7.

Hieron
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
What part of the MacBook pro do you like the most? I see from your sig you are using a pc as well? Do you like OSX or is it the design/build of the laptop?

I got a MacBook Air to take with me to clients and on travels (so not for LW per se) as it is the nicest, smallest, sturdiest laptop I could find. Installed Windows 7 with Bootcamp (so a "true" Windows boot) first thing and love it since.

I do get stares from Apple afficionados though :) But I notice quite some excecutives are quite interested to hear how they would run Win7 on their macs :) There is an OSX install on it, and just tried to move a file from the OSX to the Win7 drive and it worked fine. (typing this in Win7 boot)

4dartist
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I know you're not asking me, but for us (our entire office) it's mainly for the OS, not the hardware. We have quite a few MacPro machines which are really expensive unfortunately.. but we get them for the OS mainly, if I was building a farm it would be non-mac hardware for sure.

Cross platform sharing files works perfectly, at least in the last few versions of lightwave (8,9,10) not sure about before.

I think I would probably grin if I saw you with a macbook air and windows on it. :) I dual boot machines here to run 3d studio max at times. I do love the laptop hardware though, after using my girlfriends ****box laptop and going back to my macbook (not even pro) I realize how much I love the trackpad and stuff, but hers was pretty cheap about 1/4 the cost.

wesleycorgi
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
It's funny I was at Cisco last week, who allow their employees to either have a MacBook Pro or whatever stock PC the IT department has chosen. As a result, about 40-50% of the employees that I saw were carrying around Macs. But, most of these were Bootcamp'ed.

I asked one of the guys about this, and he said, "It's a no brainer: the Apple hardware is so much better designed, more stable, and sturdier. But we have to use Windows. The MacBook Pros are a better platform for running Windows."

Hieron
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Hehe 4Dartist, but why choose for the OS then? I see quite alot of posts about stability or update issues on LW alone... :/ When working on a computer, one spends a really low % of time with the OS itself anyway right... You guys have no OSX with LW or Modo etc issues?

Not sure if it is a better platform for running Windows though, it's all the same hardware anyway and you need Bootcamp in between.. But it sure works fine for me on the laptop.

And indeed, after my crappy, squeeky, bloated, heavy, yet not cheap HP laptop died 2x in a row within perhaps 200 hours of working on it, I went for the MBA. It was a demo model, the one with SSD (then only on the expensive version) for 50% off at 900 euro. No brainer I guess.

wesleycorgi
03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
My last couple of Macs (including my current i7 MBP 17") have been refurbs via the Apple site. I spoke with my local Apple reps and they said that a lot of times refurbs are just returns, where they can't sell as new. Even with AppleCare (for piece of mind), I end up getting my Macs less than full cost for the current model.

He said that when they have an update in product (like a couple of weeks ago with the new MacBook Pros with thunderbolt), sometimes the local stores will give you a refurb price on the old (but actually new/unopened) product because they are making room for the newer models. But that is a very narrow window.

4dartist
03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Hehe 4Dartist, but why choose for the OS then? I see quite alot of posts about stability or update issues on LW alone... :/ When working on a computer, one spends a really low % of time with the OS itself anyway right... You guys have no OSX with LW or Modo etc issues?

Hey Hieron it's just personal preference. I like the OS a lot. You'd be surprised how often you are just in the OS and not using lightwave alone. It's the small things, like installing software or updates, moving files around, searching for files, using small apps like web, email, music.. I just find it more enjoyable. I honestly push this machine hard and I mean it.. rendering in multiple instances of lightwave, and even after effects while animating in another lightwave, all while my music, email, screenshare app, and other little programs going.. it's just runs so smooth.

I used to build and do work on windows boxes for years, I used to help so many friends and people recover their windows machines from the death that is spy-ware. I think things are better on that front though, so that's awesome. Anyways, everyone's heard the arguments a million times.

In regards to 3d apps: Lightwave is pretty even with the windows version right now. (lightwave 10) 9.6, not so much because 9.6.1 isn't released yet.. (no mac 64bit). So you're correct in that historically Mac has proven to be developed for behind windows by Newtek. However since the move to intel processors, I think that gap has closed a lot. Apple didn't help my making everyone switch from one code base to another (cocoa I think or something like that).. so it's not all Newtek's fault. Either way, 10(mac) and 10(windows) seems pretty much the same to me. All my plugins work for both just fine. I think there is one plugin I noticed recently that was only PC that I wouldn't have minded having, but.. a small price to pay I guess.

We don't have modo on the PC so I can't compare really.. As far as I know there isn't anything the windows modo has that mac modo doesn't. I did hear the 64bit modo on the mac has some kinks to work out.

So, anyways.. it's personal choice. Everyone will tell you why one is better than the other, including me, but you just have to use them and decide. Same goes for the hardware I guess, I also am a big fan of the hardware, although not the price.. I guess that's why every 8core we have is a refurbished one! :)

ken_g9
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't think I'll run into problems with exchanging files using the NAS as it is a network drive, so it should be able to read/write files fine. One of my concerns will be the external drive. If it is formatted NTFS, will OSX be able read/write to it? I read that Snow Leopard can with an additional program installed.

@Hieron - I guess it would be the design/build of the hardware first, then OSX second. I want to try out (in a way) OSX in a serious work environment and judge myself if it is suitable or not. I've been hearing both sides of the story. If not, I can fallback to Bootcamp with Windows 7 anyway. :D

@4dartist - Glad to heat LW 10 works great. I've been using it since and don't even launch 9.6 on Windows now.

NanoGator
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I dual booted with Windows 7, works great.

Dexter2999
03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I am sooooooooo tempted.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-8-Core-3GHz-Xeon-8GB-750GB-X1900-OSX-10-5-/260749224514?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3cb5dd6a42

ken_g9
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
That is indeed tempting...

gerry_g
03-14-2011, 02:44 PM
the e-bay item, I have one, short answer 32bit EFI not 64bit = problems with modern graphics cars(not officially supported,any make) though people will tell you even so they've installed them, memory may be of the doubled buffered type (expensive). Good machine but slow by todays standard, a dual i7 is the minimum you should be looking at.

hcoat
03-14-2011, 10:19 PM
One of my concerns will be the external drive. If it is formatted NTFS, will OSX be able read/write to it? I read that Snow Leopard can with an additional program installed.

Yes it can if you install MacFuse and NTFS-3G.

ken_g9
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes it can if you install MacFuse and NTFS-3G.

Thanks. I've been reading about NTFS-3G and it seems it doesn't work well for some. Any word if OSX Lion will have this as a native support?

jeremyhughes77
03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I work between Mac and PCs here. Networking works pretty well. I can write between drives that way for one. I'm not running bootcamp on my mac these days though it did well on another system I had. Excited to get a new laptop with Thunderbolt.

ken_g9
03-17-2011, 06:18 AM
The 2011 MacBook Pro's looks great on paper. Sandybridge and everything. I wonder how the Intel 3000 HD works with Lightwave though.