PDA

View Full Version : Parenting.

oliversimonnet
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Hello
I have just finished creating a new character, hes a ninja with a sword.
and in the rig i have the sword parented to his chest bone (the sword is on his back) now is there a way i can temporarily parent the sword ho his hand? instead of keyframing the sword to follow his hand when i want him to use it?

BlueApple
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
You're looking for dynamic parenting, I think. The way I've always done this is to have two copies of the sword in Layout. One is always parented to the hand and the other is always parented to the (in your case) chest bone. Animate their opacity so only one is ever visible.

RebelHill
03-08-2011, 08:30 AM
the cross disolve trick work fine... you can also use the same as item constraint to create a dynamic parent type relationship.

For swords, (and other certain types of props) this is also the preferred method, except that you tend to constrain the arms IK goal to the sword, rather than the other way round.

geo_n
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Sai

oliversimonnet
03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply
Haha that's how iv always done it too
Whilst looking for dynamic parenting in google i came across the answer.
"parenter" in the motion options.
in case any one doesn't know about this modifier. here is a link to a video by William Vaughan on how it works
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/p2_web.mov

(Edit)
(the last two replys werent there when i wrote that haha)

@RebelHill: cool thanks for the tip :)

@geo_n: what mothed did you use to do that?

geo_n
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Same as Item in motion panel. Learned it from Rebelhill videos before. So many things I learned from those tuts regarding lw 9.6 rigging.

RebelHill
03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
parenter is very limited, and also doesnt often work well in many cases... best avoided, sai is far better.