gordonrobb
03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
You aint kidding.

drako
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
cresshead you rock man....EXCELLENT....

Netvudu
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Wow. That was good to an astonishing level. These german guys from Scanline VFX just get better and better. Thereīs simply not a better CG water. In some shots itīs fool-proof.

Anybody knows if this was 100% Scanline VFX, or just the water fx being done by them? in other words, who are they people responsible for all this joy for our eyes?

digitaldoc
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow!
I thought it was the Sheraton Maui and Front Street, Lahaina when I saw the film.

bassmanjam
03-07-2011, 11:59 PM
very nice. Breakdowns like this make it look so easy.

jrandom
03-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Those water simulations melted my brain. Any idea what was used to create them?

Netvudu
03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
They are famous for their own fluids solution. It's called Flowline.

mdrguy1
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
All the work on that reel was done by Scanline in their Los Angeles studio. In fact, Scanline was the only vendor on the film., though a few people outside the company did things like roto/paint. But all the beefy stuff like the digital doubles and environments, the models and destruction, were done by Scanline LA. Pretty impressive work, I must say. Can't wait to see what they do next. They're apparently working on Tarsem's Immortals and some other hush hush projects.

RebelHill
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Some lovely work indeed.

but still there are some things I can't fathom... like the head track to add bruising to the face, or the tear shot at the end. Why?

Surely a little makeup and saline on set wold have saved a lot of hours and bucks in both those instances.

pooby
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
This could all be done with IKboost.

Netvudu
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I can tell from experience that this is ALWAYS because the director specifically asks for it and they simply forgot to do it, or they were sloppy while planning those shots, or no one from VFX were warned about this until it was too late...

...because any VFX supervisor would recommend exactly what Craig said.

I know this because I had to add a prostethic to an eye for a feature film, and the reason was exactly this. The director changed his mind after the fact.

pooby,...lmao :D

Titus
03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Those water simulations melted my brain. Any idea what was used to create them?

Flowline. It's a fluid simulator developed in Germany that nobody can buy, just rent their production services. My understanding is that flowline doesn't generate geometry, it's procedural and geometry is generated at render time.

cresshead
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
well, with what happened in Japan today it just hi lights how powerful a wall of water can be in a real disaster.

prometheus
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Flowline. It's a fluid simulator developed in Germany that nobody can buy, just rent their production services. My understanding is that flowline doesn't generate geometry, it's procedural and geometry is generated at render time.

You just said it doesnīt generate geometry, and then you said it does?
:D:D

Isnīt it really generating volume surfaces only, no poly geometry mesh that is.

Michael

Titus
03-12-2011, 11:59 AM
You just said it doesnīt generate geometry, and then you said it does?
:D:D

Isnīt it really generating volume surfaces only, no poly geometry mesh that is.

Michael

Yep, it's an implicit surface solver.

digitaldoc
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
"Two-take" Eastwood forgot something? NOT!