PDA

View Full Version : Will I be hired ?

rednova
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Dear Friends:

I study lightwave/computer animation.
My dream is to make my own animated movies and get published by television
like nickelodeon or disney channel.
I am learning...and plan to spend a long time until I become pro with lightwave (so the gfx will be good) and then make my movies and send for the tv channels.
If I become really good...and send my movies to the tv stations...will I be hired ? Will the tv stations put my show on tv ?
Please tell me !!!

Rednova

nickdigital
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Your enthusiasm is admirable. Becoming good at your craft will certainly help the chances of you being hired to work on a project at a studio. However they won't hire you to just put your movie on their channel though. The studio would be more interested in developing their own content.

If the channel or studio has some sort of animation festival, that would be one way to try to get your project on tv. Nickelodeon occasionally has an animation festival where people are encouraged to submit their shorts.

To be in a position where you're the creator on a project takes years of experience, talent, luck and a lot of support from outside parties.

If you're really interested in getting your work out there for people to see, there are other ways other than television. You could run your own website or use something like YouTube.

Good luck.

Danner
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure I understand if you want tv stations to buy your movies/shows or you want them to hire you.. either way, if the quality of the work is good then yes.

Making a movie by yourself requires more than just a high level of proficiency on a 3d application, you also need a LOT of time, money and working knowledge of every aspect of movie making. (a well written, compelling script most importantly).

Making a tv show is a similar process, but you'd need a large team for it, TV needs to be made quickly to meet deadlines.

Ryan Roye
03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Making a movie by yourself requires more than just a high level of proficiency on a 3d application, you also need a LOT of time, money and working knowledge of every aspect of movie making.

I can attest to this, though I disagree on the idea that it requires a lot of money... that's solely depending on the level of work that's being done. Anyways, I consider my skill level around the bottom rung in regards to 3d filmmaking with the 3d sci fi animated series I'm developing. I say this while possessing the following skills:

-Scriptwriting
-Video editing/compositing
-Illustration (including several failed digitally colored comic strips)
-Sound production/editing (including music compilations)
-Directing (Voice acting, i've never directed other animators/artists)
-2d flash animation
-3d animation/art

I'm trying to prove that a 3d animated publication (http://delura.tanadrine.com/) can be produced at around 4-8 minutes per month and so far its been very challenging... but still intrinsically rewarding. I'm 99% certain that the series will never reach a bigger audience than it has now... I've gone through the disappointment of making big projects that never succeeded multiple times, so i've become much more down to earth as to what to expect on a monetary standpoint (I'm doing this expecting to make exactly $0). Don't set yourself up for disappointment... 3d animation is a very cutthroat field especially for freelancers, with many people out there who want to prey on people like you and screw you out of your money. If you really want to become good, you will live and breathe this stuff... you will get all tingly inside if someone offered to let you sit down for 12 hours a day to do hobby 3d animation/work without any consequences... you'll soak in everything you can get your hands on in regards to tips and skills that you see in other people's work/tutorials.

When starting out... do stuff you enjoy doing. Don't think about money, don't quit your day job over this stuff. Develop your skills, study other people's work intensely and pay attention to how many people work on various animated projects... some of them may surprise you.

(a well written, compelling script most importantly).

I disagree. A good script is not nearly as important as having bleeding edge (and FOCUSED) technical skill in the real world... I don't agree with the idea, but realize that the vast majority of 3d work in 3d animated movies is family audience material... meaning the script can't be too complicated and the plot/setting must be able to appeal to *everyone*... something that often hurts the creative process and something that is VERY hard to compete against when there's so much professional content out there done by armies of animators/artists. Really, there's very little creativity about success in regards to mainstream 3d film/tv... that's my opinion.

inquisitive
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Whatever you do rednova, do not give up, stick to your dream no matter the circumstances...

From life experience in general, I can tell you that a lot of people give up on their dreams some forever and some just get lost but eventually find their way back.

Sometimes the path the dream goal takes you thru, ends up being very important later on in life.. ie.. you set to do your animations, maybe they are good, maybe not but you stick to it.. and little by little you become better, and then many years later, an opportunity presents to you (ie. a window of opportunity) and because you did the prep work, you can take advantage of it..

See this video, and you will see what I mean: (my fav video of all time).
Note: take the time to watch the whole video - often, specially when you get discouraged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

Other tidbits of info.
Story is the most important thing, spend the most time working on that.
Do an animatic with 2d sketches first, and continue to work on the story until its all good.
Then proceed to animate.

Disclaimer: I have not done any of this (yet).. I am still in the process, I also have the same dream you do :) My goal is not the same though, I just want to tell my stories, and yes work at some studio, but right now believe it or not, when you are not working at a studio... is when you can work on your own ideas, so take advantage of that.

geo_n
03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
The TRUTH

Technology and hardware power is now available to everyone. Talent and hard work is not enough to assure yourself a job in the industry. You need to advertise, market, connect, beg, and also have a good network and bring your work out there.

Dexter2999
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't want to discourage you but to answer your question as asked...No, you are not likely to get hired by a tv station to make an animated series.

However, if you start learning and are dedicated (and hopefully talented) you have a chance of getting a job doing what you love. Just remember it is a job many people want so it is very competitive.

Good Luck.

pooby
03-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Rednova,
Statistically speaking, you are very unlikely to ever get your series on TV.
Especially if you think it's a case of 'if it's up to a certain quality, they will buy it" it simply doesn't work like that.
Basically, as a business model, tv companies want to sell advertising. And the more people that see these adverts, the more they can charge for the advertising slot.
They want to show programs that draw the maximum viewers ,to maximise the profits based upon the above model.

If you manage to think of an idea that quite clearly, will draw huge audiences, then you are in with a chance IF you can weedle an opportunity to tell the person who calls the shots. However, this in itself is like trying to arrange an interview with Barack Obama.

A better route is to use the Internet to test you idea and, if it is as good as you think, gain an audience here.
If you have the backing of a mass of followers already, you will be taken FAR more seriously by a tv company. As its like offering them free money, you'll have created your own Market research, and there is a clear indication of future interest.
However, its still no guarantee and you may be left wondering why you don't just leave it on the Internet, where you have full control over delivering your show to your fans in the way you want and you can sell your OWN advertising to keep it going, rather than have your show be part of some tv companies business agenda with all thhe restrictions that brings.

lwaddict
03-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Have to agree with most of what pooby said.

There's some 'taking of lumps' to get as far as you'd like in this industry...
and it sounds more like you want to write or director or even produce,
which are completely different areas.
Everything's departmentalized and it's difficult to walk in with the "I do it all" thing going on... and even more difficult to have others force you to pick one thing to do until you've been broken in.

Chin up...
hang onto that energy...
and brace yourself for one wild ride!

calilifestyle
03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
If you want your own Tv Series, it's called blip.tv Start an account upload your series and get revenue based on the ads blip.tv toss on it.

Blip.tv give users the ability to push out on to Ruku and Boxee and googletv.

calilifestyle
03-17-2011, 03:10 PM
http://betabeat.omgit.net/2011/03/14/blip-tv-is-ready-for-its-close-up/