PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Gig image of the moon!

JeffrySG
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

A Half-Gigabyte View of the Moon
Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the astronauts' boots.

A new 24,000-pixel-square mosaic from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter shows the Moon's nearside as never before.

I'm tempted to download it.... but I don't think I'll be able to open it or want to wait for it to open on my machine. ;)

probiner
03-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Will try too
Only thing strange in the image, is that it looks like there is a banding texture going on there, like the moon is made of cardboard... Was this moon taken from the US mission landing film set? :D
It's probably a technicality of how they acquire the image.

Got to love these space images apparently so truthful about the "unknown" that they look unreal.

Cheers

kosmodave
03-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Hey, nice image :thumbsup:.

Is it possible to see the lunar lander on the bigger image? I have had a brief look but am not sure where abouts it would be.

Dave

cresshead
03-06-2011, 08:27 AM
downloading now...i'll blame you if my puter starts smoking!

thomascheng
03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I thought the moon landing was fake and that the footprints were painted in :)

cresshead
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I thought the moon landing was fake and that the footprints were painted in :)

photoshop wasn't invented then...in 1969...you had to wait until 1988 for photoshop...19 years later.:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop

Hmm maybe they made a working Tardis and went forward in time to get a copy of photoshop an then bring it back with an appleII to fix up the pictures?

probiner
03-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Sure... but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenic_design

(downloading it)

Edit: took me a while to open.
Anyway, best Normal Map ever for plaster?

:D

Cryonic
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Will try too
Only thing strange in the image, is that it looks like there is a banding texture going on there, like the moon is made of cardboard... Was this moon taken from the US mission landing film set? :D
It's probably a technicality of how they acquire the image.

Got to love these space images apparently so truthful about the "unknown" that they look unreal.

Cheers

As the article states, the image comes from the NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. So this is a tiling image based on the passes made by the probe. So each stripe had slightly different conditions of light as the probe went by.

JeffrySG
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
So for the people that downloaded the image, were you able to see any signs of the moon landings? trails, equipment, markings, flags, etc? And is it worth it to download/open?

JonW
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
It beats the hell out of my 300mm + 2x + 1.4x tele.

If you zoom in enough you may just see the foot prints!

crashnburn
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Downloaded in 2 minutes and no problems in photoshop here. It's one big image lol.

kosmodave
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
No problem loading it into photoshop, but can't see any signs of the moon landings. I guess we need a two or three Gig image for that kind of detail :question:. Mind you I'm still not quite sure where to look.

Dave

hunter
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/imagery/apollo/as11/a11landsite.htm

Supposedly taken with the LAROC. Good luck picking it out of the whole Sea of Tranquility. :hey:I downloaded the big one and zoomed in on Apollo 11's site but the resolution isn't good enough to see anything.

JeffrySG
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/imagery/apollo/as11/a11landsite.htm

Supposedly taken with the LAROC. Good luck picking it out of the whole Sea of Tranquility. :hey:I downloaded the big one and zoomed in on Apollo 11's site but the resolution isn't good enough to see anything.

Yeah, I looked over the photo too but couldn't see anything either.

crashnburn
03-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah, but the moon has a diamter of nearly 3500 kilometers Thats 3500000 meters. The image is 24000 pixels across. By my reckoning, thats's around 146 meters per pixel. An object a few meters across will take some spotting. I don't think distortion due to the moons curvature will help any.

art
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Even if someone posted a hi-res photo where you could see individual grains of dust there would be some who'd say it was all photoshoped ;)

SBowie
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Once again, y'all are once again completely ignoring the simple approach of 'enhancing' the image: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

(I know, this has been posted here before ... but clearly, people need reminders).

Sometimes it can take days, but surely by now we all know that "with the right combination of algorithms" it's possible to pick up a reflection from someone's retina bounced several from a store window onto a car hood using a keyhole satellite, then take one pixel from it and resolve an entire environment in 3D. Sheesh. Am I the only one who doesn't live in the dark ages?

crashnburn
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I've been using the freeze and enhance filter in photoshop for years lol.

art
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
yes, but without all those beeps and bleeps the zooming is no good...

crashnburn
03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
A-ha, well, i've been capturing and creating sound effects for around 6 years. They do make quite a difference to how accurate the filter works. I once tried to enhance a photo and forgot the sound effects. I never did find that Lancaster bomber a newspaper (I use the term loosely) called 'The Sport' claimed is on the moon.