PDA

View Full Version : PShop style "Save Copy"

jeric_synergy
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Out of the box, we don't have a PShop style "Save Copy" function, do we??

It'd be nice to have such a function, especially in Modeler, since currently if you save a mesh, TMK, you're stuck with it changing its name in Layout, if it's loaded there.

Could this functionality, long desired, be added via LScript? Psuedocode:

1.Make NewObject.
2.Switch back to current object.
3.Loop thru occupied Layers, copying to corresponding NewObject Layers.* (copy layer visibilty flag too)
4.Save with new name (user input).
5.Clear NewObject from Modeler.
6.Switch back to current object.

Wouldn't take a real programmer over forty minutes to make this script, right?

What makes this a pain to do manually is copying occupied layers and setting their flags, so it's not possible to simply cut&paste.

For 100% compatibility, the lscript would have to account for layers that had Points but no Polys or Curves.

And no, I'm not a programmer.

Dodgy
03-06-2011, 02:37 AM
There is actually a Save copy command for lws, for modeler, here's one I wrote just for you...

jeric_synergy
03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
There is actually a Save copy command for lws, for modeler, here's one I wrote just for you...
Thanks, Dodgy! :thumbsup:

How does everyone keep track of all these scores of great scripts and plugins ???? Seriously, just REMEMBERING them is a real challenge. (Loaded and added here. Now to remember it....)

Of course, far better than the converse situation!!! :bday:

When you say "There is actually..." do you mean 'available in LScript'? I wonder why NTek apparently tmk never included it in the standard menus.

Dodgy
03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
It is in the menus as far as I'm aware... Scene>Save Scene Copy.

jeric_synergy
03-07-2011, 01:24 AM
??? I'm really confused now: the lscript saves LWO from LWM, which is what I was lamenting, because if you just SAVE an object with a new name, if it's loaded into Layout that name is changed too. Your lscript works great, perfect.

On the Layout side, yes, Save Scene Copy is right there, but it's less important than being able to save a copy out of modeler, because the regular Modeler Save screws up (potentially) Scenes.

Dodgy
03-07-2011, 04:14 AM
You want to save SCENES from modeler?

jeric_synergy
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
No, dood.... in post #4, suddenly you were talking about Layout, while I was focused on Modeler. :eek:

:dance:

Dodgy
03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Ah, I see the confusion now. I meant, there's already one for scenes in layout and I wrote you one for modeler.