PDA

View Full Version : Too Slow to go!

mjcrawford
03-05-2011, 06:39 AM
I could really use some help!

I know my system is hardly cutting edge, however I did not have this problem when I was using LW before on a much older system. When I attempt to select anything in LW via the lasso tool, it takes a really long time to update in the view-ports. Each view-port updates individually and each poly updates individually within each port, if my model has more than just a few hundred polys it can take a minute or more just to do a lasso selection.

is this a graphics card issue? is there something I can do about it? or am I just stuck until I can afford a $1k + graphics card?

nickdigital
03-05-2011, 08:13 AM
This sounds like a graphics card issue. What card are you using? Are the drivers up to date?

stiff paper
03-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Just to be completely clear: you definitely do NOT need a $1k plus graphics card to make LW work nicely.

mjcrawford
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
This sounds like a graphics card issue. What card are you using? Are the drivers up to date?

I am not by my LW system right now but I believe it is a Gforce 9800. I am running Win 7 x64 with 4 GB ram.

It feels like a graphics card issue, but what can I do? As I said my card is not exactly cutting edge, but I have used older cards with no problems. I hope to be getting a new system in the near future, and this has me really concerned, I will be really pissed if I spend the cash to get a 12 core system and the video card can't do a simple lasso selection... what do I need?

Phil
03-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Hmmm. A couple of things come to mind :

1) What happens if you run Modeler, for example, from the command line (cmd.exe). There seem to be some cases where integrated graphics interferes with the OpenGL support and prevents a dedicated graphics card from being used. Running from cmd.exe sometimes works around this issue. I haven't seen this myself, just knowing about it from others here that have seen issues like this with various apps under Windows

2) What graphics mode have you got set up in Modeler and Layout? If you have GLSL enabled (under preferences/GL for Layout, display options/GL for Modeler), that tends to be slower. I would like to think this is covered in the documentation, but docs have been a weak part of LW for some time now and this may not be the case.

In Modeler, you can also try the legacy OpenGL switch and see if that helps. I'm not sure if any of these need the app to be restarted.

meshpig
03-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I am not by my LW system right now but I believe it is a Gforce 9800. I am running Win 7 x64 with 4 GB ram.

It feels like a graphics card issue, but what can I do? As I said my card is not exactly cutting edge, but I have used older cards with no problems. I hope to be getting a new system in the near future, and this has me really concerned, I will be really pissed if I spend the cash to get a 12 core system and the video card can't do a simple lasso selection... what do I need?

I think if just yer GPU was on the blink you'd see more than mere lasso problems... ultimately a busted video card won't boot the screen and they're kinda working or not but on the way out do all sorts of weird ****.

On the other hand, busted HD's can fart about for ages and a popular myth is it's "bad RAM".

JonW
03-06-2011, 03:10 AM
I've got a 9800 card, although long in the tooth. It's still very good.

LW 9.6 will run on my old Mac dual CPU 533 MHz, & this really has a small graphic card!

I think if just yer GPU was on the blink you'd see more than mere lasso problems...

Have you tried another card.

meshpig
03-06-2011, 03:59 AM
... "youth is a disease cured by age" & "I is a Kooledge Stoodant.":- 2 different things:)

EmperorPete
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
It's not your card; it's your drivers.
I had this exact same problem with my GeForce 9800GT, also on Windows 7 64. It was caused by me running the graphics drivers that were installed by Windows 7 when I installed it. I went to the NVidia website and downloaded updated drivers, and that solved the problem for me instantly.