PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #110 - Speed Modeling Challenge Closet

COBRASoft
03-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #110 - Speed Modeling Challenge Closet.
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post wires and renders (if possible) at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This weeks challenge is again straight and simple, model a closet. this can be a wardrobe, a cabinet, ...

HRGiger, I hope you don't mind for 'stealing' your challenge. You may be the judge for this one if you want, just let me know :). Next challenge is for ArtGoblin.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 9nd March 2011, 2200 GMT.

meshmaster
03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Been out of shape with using Lightwave... not used it for a few years, so my skills are fairly rusty. Figure the speed challenge might get me back in to shape. This is a quick little thrown together model I did. Took about 40 minutes or so. Was really stalling on how to do the hinges, so finally just gave up and did an extender thing on it and was not worried about the fine details. Really need to relearn a lot... last time I was heavy in Lightwave was vu 7, and many things have changed since then. This is using version 9.6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rqMYWxKw-4

COBRASoft
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome back Meshmaster! Joining these challenges will bring you back up to speed in no time.

a sandwhich
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Here is mine. Took me 45 min to model and apply textures. Took me an hour to find the textures though. I haven't done any texturing for about 2 years so I am a little rusty also. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the hard pixels on the edges? I am also not very good at overall rendering.

COBRASoft
03-06-2011, 12:03 AM
You can use rounder to soften the edges or model with subpatches (tab key), but for that you need all quads for best results.

JeffrySG has nice tutorials for subpatch modeling, you can find more info here: http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html.

XswampyX
03-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Another good speed challenge.

Just a bunch of cubes put together to make a Cabinet. About 1 Hr, give or take 15 mins.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CabinetWired.jpg

XswampyX
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
And the render. :)

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CabinetV2b.jpg

ArtGoblin
03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
ohhh wow xswampy! that is a beutifull render and a nice looking cabinet... I'd say you might want to make the wood surface a llittle less reflective

a sandwhich
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Wow. That is great. Where did you find the wood textures? Or did you create them yourself if you don't mind me asking.

XswampyX
03-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks! :)

It's two different texture images. One for the colour and another for the reflection and normal map.

UV mapping was easy, as I just used atlas mapping on each separate block of wood and then turned the UV map to match the flow of grain that I wanted. It looks a mess but seems to work.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Texture.jpg

Iain
03-07-2011, 02:21 AM
It's two different texture images. One for the colour and another for the reflection and normal map.

UV mapping was easy, as I just used atlas mapping on each separate block of wood and then turned the UV map to match the flow of grain that I wanted. It looks a mess but seems to work.

I may just be stuck in my ways but wouldn't layered texturing be 10 times simpler for this?

Nice render but I agree with Artgoblin-something so rustic would be far less reflective.

Iain
03-07-2011, 07:56 AM
A sharp little unit I saw recently. 15 minutes modelling.

Apologies for the wire-although it is an actual modeler screenshot with wires showing, a model made of cubes and extruded triangles doesn't hide much with its clothes on anyway!

COBRASoft
03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
XswampyX: you never fail to make a nice model do you? :)

Iain: somehow, I get a headache watching that render. My head is doubting to see squares or triangles. Joking aside, nice model and very creative.

I hope to enter my own model tonight or tomorrow.

oliversimonnet
03-07-2011, 09:49 AM
hey guys nice entrys so fare :)
@XswampyX: i saw you have a normal map there,a nd i was just woundering what are normal mapst for?

XswampyX
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
@artgobin & Iain - Reflections, Yep 'tis a bit over the top I know, But It was ALOT worse before. Sometimes you need to leave a render and come back to it later to get a fresh feel. Oh well :-)

@COBRAsoft :- You think? But you don't see all the ones I leave on my hard drive! Thanks.

@ Oliversimonnet :- Normal maps = bump maps on steroids. I don't think this model really needs it, but I had the normal map and thought.... why not. I used Crazybump to make these. 1 click = tada!

chco2
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice entries thus far!

Here's my 2 cents worth..
good 50 mins modeling
Texturing a bit more

Image:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet.jpg

Wires:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_wire.jpg

Actually liked the handles I made :)
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_handle.jpg

XswampyX
03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
The handles look great, you have so much detail it's a pity that you can't really see it in the 800x640 render. :thumbsup:

Maybe we should have a knobs and knockers speed challenge!

Hopper
03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
How 'bout just knockers. Not too keen on 'knob modeling'. :D

chco2
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks XswampyX!
It's a pity I only had that one woodtexture back from the Amiga days available also.
Wanna do another one before wednesday and next week Knobs and Knockers ;) Modeling knobs isn't so bad as long as its yours (or better your own) to model :P

The handles look great, you have so much detail it's a pity that you can't really see it in the 800x640 render. :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi guys,

The next challenge is up to ArtGoblin, knobs and so would be a real challenge for me though :thumbsup:.

I modeled a cabinet in about 50 minutes. The render was a quicky, so the result is not as nice as it should be :hey:.

Greetings,
Sigurd

jrandom
03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I may just be stuck in my ways but wouldn't layered texturing be 10 times simpler for this?

This is so strange: I find the node editor to be completely intuitive and easy to use. I didn't even have to read the documentation to figure out how to use it when I first purchased Lightwave (started w/ 9.6). I love it.l

The old-school layer system completely baffles me. I have never been able to use it correctly, even after reading the documentation.

Iain
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
This is so strange: I find the node editor to be completely intuitive and easy to use. I didn't even have to read the documentation to figure out how to use it when I first purchased Lightwave (started w/ 9.6). I love it.l

The old-school layer system completely baffles me. I have never been able to use it correctly, even after reading the documentation.

That's interesting as I've only ever heard (and thought) the opposite. The layer system just makes very logical list-like sense to me.
The Node Editor is very versatile and powerful and I use it regularly but by its very nature, I find it to be too disjointed and difficult to scan for simple materials. I think a lot of people misuse it too (no-one here!) with differing scales on the same map and effects chucked in for no reason.

As I say though, I suppose its whatever you're used to. I still have fond memories of LW 5 and it's basic, blocky interface.

Anyway, a render of all 4 flavours of my cupboard..................

COBRASoft
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Iain: superb lighting!

JeffrySG
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Loving all of these entries! Nice work everyone!! :D

chco2
03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
@ 50 mins now.. hope I can get this done in 10 :)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_walk-in_wire1.png

jrandom
03-09-2011, 02:05 AM
My meager entry:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93462&stc=1&d=1299661506

COBRASoft
03-09-2011, 06:19 AM
chco2: please, render this too, it looks great! Don't forget your wires :).

chco2
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Just finished the render.. Pretty sure it was within 60 mins of modeling.
Here's the wire :

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_walk-in_wire2.jpg

and the render:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_walk-in.jpg

and another render.. different angle:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/closet_walk-in_2.jpg

probiner
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Some cool entries here. Chco had fun... =)
Had poor imagination for this one.
Wires here, will post render asap.

Cheers

EDIT: render attached
''Oh wait... this is not a closet'' -_-'

chco2
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
lol :)

That is a nice render Iain!

COBRASoft
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Thx for the entries people, even though it was a short period, we have some nice entries here!

I'll pick the winner tomorrow if that's ok.

ArtGoblin, please start the next challenge :).

ArtGoblin
03-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Thx for the entries people, even though it was a short period, we have some nice entries here!

I'll pick the winner tomorrow if that's ok.

ArtGoblin, please start the next challenge :).

I'm on it as soon as I get home from work :)

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
So, it's this time again... choosing a winner.

My personal thoughts:
- Quick little by meshmaster: I like the video you made, clearly shows the mesh. It could use some bandglue. Great to see you back with LW!
- Closet in wall by a sandwich: nice start, keep joining the challenges and you will be surprised how much you'll learn in a short time.
- Cabinet by XswampyX: very nice wires and render. I hoped to see a version with less reflection :hey:.
- Sharp unit by Iain: very original I must say and well executed. That last render rocks!
- Closet by chco2: That handle looks fantastic, wires look good too.
- Walk-in by chco2: You just modeled a whole room instead of 1 closet :thumbsup:. Wires look very clean.
- 'Meager' entry by jrandom: an octagonal entry. Could use some rounding on the edges. Render is nice.
- Hanging 'Closet' by probiner: Not sure what to think of this. It's certainly original. Pitty the mesh is so little, would like to see how you did this.

The winner is XswampyX, congratulations!

Iain
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Well done xswampyx!

Kudos also to Chco2. Great effort building a walk in closet in 60 minutes. Nice render too :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Indeed Iain, it was a close one. I was doubting between both for a long time, but my personal favor tends to go to SubD because of the extra difficulty.

XswampyX
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks COBRAsoft.

I think I would have given it to Chco2 myself, I wouldn't entertain doing that walk in wardrobe in a day, let alone 1 Hr.

Here's another render but with alot less reflection. It looks 100% better, so you were all correct. Another lesson I have learned. :)

jrandom
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks COBRAsoft.

I think I would have given it to Chco2 myself, I wouldn't entertain doing that walk in wardrobe in a day, let alone 1 Hr.

Here's another render but with alot less reflection. It looks 100% better, so you were all correct. Another lesson I have learned. :)

Pretty!

Any recommendations on where I could get free textures like that? My texture library is pitiful at the moment and the one good resource I found has such drastic limitations that I can only download a few images per day before hitting a download quota.

probiner
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Congrats xswampyx!
Great job in handling the the challenge Cobrasoft!

As for the hanging thing, cobrasoft, it was supposed to be metal... poor reflections :D
Anyway i did it with the help of Random Pricks and Strand Maker. Only thing i don't like is the fact that it's all rendered with the same pixel size :S

Cheers

chco2
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Congrats XswampyX, well deserved!

The walk-in closet looks more than what it is.. Model one side, mirror and do some minor changes to have it not look so mirrored :)
One drawer done.. copy and scale.. etc..
But it was fun!

On to the next one :)

Ow.. and plz.. call me Charly :)

COBRASoft
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Thx probiner :).

Ok, charly it is then. Even if the wires look 'simple', the render shows what a result can be achieved with it. This is what these challenges are about IMO. The less wires and better result, the higher in my ranking :).

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I think one of the challenges should be this:

http://angryflower.com/blurrf.html

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Some cool entries here. Chco had fun... =)
Had poor imagination for this one.
Wires here, will post render asap.

Cheers

EDIT: render attached
''Oh wait... this is not a closet'' -_-'

Showin' off with that net texture! :D

XswampyX
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Thx probiner :).

Ok, charly it is then. Even if the wires look 'simple', the render shows what a result can be achieved with it. This is what these challenges are about IMO. The less wires and better result, the higher in my ranking :).

+1 on that!

If you're starting out, and you see some of these great renders. You think I can never ever do that. Then the wires are posted and you think It's not that difficult so you try, and then find out it is, but it's not beyond what you think you can do, so you try, and try again. Until you are posting with the best. Roll on the speed challenges, may they never stop!

Keep up the good work. :beerchug:

Iain
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
+1 on that!

If you're starting out, and you see some of these great renders. You think I can never ever do that. Then the wires are posted and you think It's not that difficult so you try, and then find out it is, but it's not beyond what you think you can do, so you try, and try again. Until you are posting with the best. Roll on the speed challenges, may they never stop!

Keep up the good work. :beerchug:

Whenever you're ready for another then :thumbsup:

XswampyX
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah!

Whenever you're ready for another then :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
Thx probiner .

Ok, charly it is then. Even if the wires look 'simple', the render shows what a result can be achieved with it. This is what these challenges are about IMO. The less wires and better result, the higher in my ranking .

:tsktsk:

COBRASoft
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
XswampyX: get over it, you won, hahahah. Now, we're waiting for #112... Com'on man :).

Besides, I'm sure CHARLY will take part in your challenge and he will do great again.

chco2
03-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Lol.. just now reading the last posts in this thread :)
XSwampyX has to pick the next challenge (then I mean 112) and hurry up man :) (I know, results are not even in from 111, but I'm ready for the next :))

COBRASoft
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
You see XswampyX, you made CHARLY hungry for more! I hope you'll chose a hell of a topic to calm him down :).