PDA

View Full Version : New Imac rumors??

virtualcomposer
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone, since my 3D projects seem to be picking up, I'm going to need more then my 17" macbook pro. I would really love to have the new IMac 27" but I'm hearing rumors that a new IMac is over the horizon and may have up to 8 processors with 16GB RAM capability. Have you guys heard anything of the sort? That would make render time along with me upgrading to LW10 much faster and better for the client.

Dexter2999
03-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Personally, I've been keeping an eye out to maybe pick up an 8 core MacPro from someone wanting to unload it so they can get the 12 core.

virtualcomposer
03-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Personally, I've been keeping an eye out to maybe pick up an 8 core MacPro from someone wanting to unload it so they can get the 12 core.

LOL. Glad you're thinking of others. :D I just like the portability of the Imac and that it's much easier to lug around if I had to but I just love that pretty 27" screen as well.

DiscreetFX
03-05-2011, 03:08 AM
A storm is brewing soon. Wait for the Thunderbolt!

:)

virtualcomposer
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM
A storm is brewing soon. Wait for the Thunderbolt!

:)

I wonder if Thunderbolt is going to really catch on like firewire did and ESata. hmmm

littlewaves
03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I very much doubt we'll see an 8 core processor in an imac. At least not the next couple of revisions. Intel have one coming up at the year end but it'll be very expensive like the current hexacore extreme models.

I could well be wrong but my bet is the top end imac will have i7 2600 (3.4GHz quad-core)

Where did you hear the 8-core rumours? Quad-core i7 processors of course do have 8 threads so maybe that's led to some confusion.

16GB Ram is already an option (albeit an expensive one) on the current 27" models. I doubt the new ones will come with that much as standard but hopefully the built to order option will be cheaper.

I reckon we'll probably find out in the next couple of months (maybe even less). If they want people to start using Thunderbolt they need to get it available on more machines than just the Macbook Pros.

virtualcomposer
03-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I very much doubt we'll see an 8 core processor in an imac. At least not the next couple of revisions. Intel have one coming up at the year end but it'll be very expensive like the current hexacore extreme models.

I could well be wrong but my bet is the top end imac will have i7 2600 (3.4GHz quad-core)

Where did you hear the 8-core rumours? Quad-core i7 processors of course do have 8 threads so maybe that's led to some confusion.

16GB Ram is already an option (albeit an expensive one) on the current 27" models. I doubt the new ones will come with that much as standard but hopefully the built to order option will be cheaper.

I reckon we'll probably find out in the next couple of months (maybe even less). If they want people to start using Thunderbolt they need to get it available on more machines than just the Macbook Pros.

Yeah, I agree about the thunderbolt thing. It does promising though specially since I stream very high memory files when I compose music from an external drive. Right now I use ESata for that but in the future these files will be streaming at GB per second and Thuderbolt sounds like that could do the job with no sweat. I've heard the rumors talked about at my job and my mac buddies. Not sure where they've gotten the info from but it almost makes since since the IMac is already at 4 core. Well, even if the newest model came out still as a 4 core, it would be great to get and I7 4 core 8-thread machine with 32GB of RAM which is really cheap these days from OWC.

Dexter2999
03-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Dont you think it will get the 6 core version first?

bpritchard
03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Based on history i don't think the iMac will get any of the super high end processors... if anything the next rev will be the i5 and i7 sandy bridge models that just came out this year. The i7 is, unfortunately, not intended to be a high end machine but more of a mid-line machine for consumers and mainly graphic designers etc. We bought a number at a previous company i worked at and while they were pretty good, they couldn't hold the mustard for some of the higher end stuff we needed to do so we switched to mac pros (well a few at least).

The iMacs are definitely nice tho'.. i'm typing this on one as we speak. I would just assume that, again based on history, the iMacs have never really been the cutting edge hardware devices... You can get an i7 imac that runs at 8 threads now.. just a little pricey.

If you don't "need" a mac i'd recommend straying away from them unless they ditch the ATI cards...

virtualcomposer
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Based on history i don't think the iMac will get any of the super high end processors... if anything the next rev will be the i5 and i7 sandy bridge models that just came out this year. The i7 is, unfortunately, not intended to be a high end machine but more of a mid-line machine for consumers and mainly graphic designers etc. We bought a number at a previous company i worked at and while they were pretty good, they couldn't hold the mustard for some of the higher end stuff we needed to do so we switched to mac pros (well a few at least).

The iMacs are definitely nice tho'.. i'm typing this on one as we speak. I would just assume that, again based on history, the iMacs have never really been the cutting edge hardware devices... You can get an i7 imac that runs at 8 threads now.. just a little pricey.

If you don't "need" a mac i'd recommend straying away from them unless they ditch the ATI cards...

I'll definitely stick to Mac and because of all my review searching and other forums, the IMac is a great buy and I'm talking about the top of the line IMac. I can't see spending a minimum of $2500 for a Mac Pro and then have to buy a 27" monitor on top of that. From what I'm reading, the IMac is a great buy and rendering as well as long as the RAM is high and you're running 8 threads. I do know it's allot faster render wise then my old 1st generation Intel Mac Pro 4 core.

virtualcomposer
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Dont you think it will get the 6 core version first?

Yeah, the new 6 core chip technology sounds really promising. How long has the newest IMacs been out? Any rumors on a new one coming out soon?

wesleycorgi
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Have you tried this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac ?

hrgiger
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Here's some info on the Ipad 2.

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=245467&eref=sharethisUrl

virtualcomposer
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm really crossing my fingers for the new IMac to come out VERY soon!! I really need this computer. I don't have $4K to spend on a Mac Pro and monitor so the IMac is what I'm getting. I've done allot of research as to what the new one would be like and I think we're looking at a 6 core processor with the capability to have either 16GB or 32GB of RAM and improved ability to have hyper threading. It will work for what I need it for and my projects are smaller so the render time is not like rendering for Disney. LOL I wish Apple would be more vocal about new products coming instead of rumors but the rumors can get a person excited for the possibilities!! :D

realgray
03-21-2011, 02:41 AM

That's interesting. At what point did the sandybridge fail? I'm considering a few for a small farm. They seem to hold their own against the more expensive machines in these modo benchmarks.
http://modo.groothuis.com/index.php?

virtualcomposer
03-21-2011, 02:44 AM
That's interesting. At what point did the sandybridge fail? I'm considering a few for a small farm.

Is Sandybridge the newest chip? I know they must be pushing 6 core now on the newest IMac.

realgray
03-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Is Sandybridge the newest chip? I know they must be pushing 6 core now on the newest IMac.

Yes it is the latest chip. I don't know about the Imac as I haven't kept up with it in awhile. I'm currently running a Macpro but switching soon to a PC due to a few advantages I'm finding.

accom
03-21-2011, 04:54 AM
Would love 8 core iMac. :) It just might happen, considering the old top MBP was 2 core, while iMac had two quads. And now the new MBP line ends with quad i7, so logicaly, iMac might surprise with something more.

BUT, nothing indicates this way - no speculations, roumors... so I am a bit sceptical about it and I'm affraid we will be stuck with 4core/8threads. Still, IMHO iMac has a great price/performance value. I look forward to upgrading! :)

dsol
03-21-2011, 05:08 AM
There's no 6-core iMacs out at the moment, though it's a distinct possibility with the next revision. I think a better reason to wait for the next-gen iMac is Thunderbolt (as others have said). Thunderbolt is effectively external PCI-E, so finally iMacs will be almost as expandable (albeit externally) as Mac Pros.

Also - Thunderbolt can't be added to existing machines that don't have it. Apparently it needs to be integrated with the motherboard (PCI-E) chipset. Which is annoying as I really want to get a new 12-core Mac Pro before the end of the tax year, and it's unlikely we'll see a new one before then.

virtualcomposer
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
yeah 8 core would be much better then 6 for sure. I was hoping to see the IMac on the apple site this morning when I woke up but still the IPad 2 takes lead right now. Can't wait. Maybe they will come up with a 30" IMac for the same price as the 27" IMac now. Lots of possibilities for sure. I will, unless they have added the feature on there, have to buy an Esata to Firewire converter since my external that I use constantly for streaming is Esata and USB. Obviously USB is way to slow so I have found a work around with a converter box so that I could use my Esata drive with the IMac.

rsfd
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
As there are no 6-core Sandy-Bridge cpu atm, I would expect an upcoming "high-end" iMac with the i7-2600 4-core 3,4 GHz cpu (turbo-boost up to 3,8GHz) and "entry-level" iMacs with i5 and i3 cpu.
Thunderbolt will certainly be in, probably the top model will get 8GB RAM as default.
Usually, Thuesday is the "new products day". I don't expect new iMacs tomorrow though.

virtualcomposer
03-21-2011, 01:15 PM
As there are no 6-core Sandy-Bridge cpu atm, I would expect an upcoming "high-end" iMac with the i7-2600 4-core 3,4 GHz cpu (turbo-boost up to 3,8GHz) and "entry-level" iMacs with i5 and i3 cpu.
Thunderbolt will certainly be in, probably the top model will get 8GB RAM as default.
Usually, Thuesday is the "new products day". I don't expect new iMacs tomorrow though.

Tuesday. ( : Hopefully tomorrow. Went to the Apple store today and noone seems to "know" anything about a new IMac.

accom
03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm affraid it will not be this month.

virtualcomposer
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm affraid it will not be this month.

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe if I wish hard enough, it will be this month. :D

dwburman
03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
At this point there aren't any 8 core Intel CPUs on the market unless you go with a Xeon processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115063) ($3,999.99 USD) and it's not likely to that Apple will put those into consumer products. Heck, the 6 Core i7 CPUs are pretty expensive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671+50001157+600030238&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=). ($559 - $999)

Of course, it's possible that Apple has negotiated a special deal with Intel to get first dibs on a new CPU.

JonW
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Have you thought of getting a PC for the rendering, thats all I use me PCs for, everything else I do on a Mac.

rsfd
03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Tuesday.
uups! yes, Tuesdays are usually "New Hardware Days" ;D (but not tomorrow, I guess)

…Went to the Apple store today and noone seems to "know" anything about a new IMac.
They are just not allowed to speak about unannounced products or participate on rumour talks at the Apple Stores. It's Apple's policy.

At this point there aren't any 8 core Intel CPUs on the market unless you go …

Of course, it's possible that Apple has negotiated a special deal with Intel to get first dibs on a new CPU.

:agree:
Wouldn't expect any high-end cpu in an iMac. Apple needs to keep the iMac range affordable while maintaining a "performance gap" to the MacPro range which legitimizes that range for Pro users. Xeon cpu still have some advantages over the i7 and 2nd gen-i7 cpu. At the end it's Server grade vs. high-class Mainstream.
Next iMac range will certainly have Sandy-Bridge (i3, i5, i7 2nd generation) cpu, and there is no 6 or 8-core cpu out just yet. These should follow later this year and I would expect these for the next MacPro range (which will make them most likely even more expensive, definitively sufficient for a heart attack :eek: )

accom
03-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Yes, there's no 6/8 core SandyBridge CPUs, but they could put two CPUs in an iMac. That's what I'm hoping for.

rsfd
03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
wow! now that's what I call optimistic! :D :D :D

virtualcomposer
03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
well, I guess not this Tuesday. I was excited to as the apple.com site was the first thing I went on this morning only to still see the Ipad 2 on there. Bummer. I was wondering, do you think with the new Sandy Bridge chip, there would be a major render time difference compared to the one they have right now in the highest end IMac? I'm really needing one pretty quick and if there's only a 15% difference, then I'm not going to lose sleep over that.

a sandwhich
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122699

virtualcomposer
03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
so I was just doing some research and it looks like the current I7 Imacs are already using the Sandy Bridge chip. Is that true?

a sandwhich
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
No? Sandybridge was just released a couple months ago while the last imac update was in july I think.

virtualcomposer
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Well I'm hoping to see a 32GB RAM option on the newest one. I think the newest IMac will be equivalent to a 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro.

rsfd
03-23-2011, 03:40 AM
newest rumours state end of April/first week of May as release date for the "iMac 2011" range. And it will most likely be a silent upgrade, meaning they will be technically updated with no major changes in design whatsoever.
Sandy Bridge cpu (introduced Jan '11) will be the major update (Intel calls those "i3, i5, i7 2nd generation"), and according to Intel, these cpu mark the largest performance step in their history. And, of course, thunderbolt.
Early tests with the i7-SB of the '11 MBP show the 2,3GHz model with better performance than MacPro with 2,8GHz 8-core Harpertown (2008) and 2,8GHz 4-c Nehalem (2009/2010). The 2,3 i7-SB seems to perform a tiny bit faster than the i7 2,93GHz, which runs in the actual iMac.
The new MacBookPro were successfully tested with 16GB RAM (support officially 8GB), I would assume that 16GB should also work in the new iMacs. For 32GB, I wouldn't expect that.

dsol
03-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Another writeup on those soon-to-be-launched (allegedly!) iMacs -
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/22/apple_rumored_to_release_new_imacs_with_sandy_brid ge_thunderbolt_by_early_may.html

dsol
03-23-2011, 04:50 AM
In terms of specs, I'd be willing to wager there'll be Thunderbolt added to all models and quad-cores for all 27" ones (similar to the Macbook Pro lineup). It's possible they might add a hexa-core BTO option for the 27incher too, though I'd be far less confident of that.

I doubt we'll see the max ram change beyond 16GB. Well, they might support 8GB modules - which are so rare and expensive it's probably not worth it - but I think it's unlikely they'll have any more slots than the current model.

virtualcomposer
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
In terms of specs, I'd be willing to wager there'll be Thunderbolt added to all models and quad-cores for all 27" ones (similar to the Macbook Pro lineup). It's possible they might add a hexa-core BTO option for the 27incher too, though I'd be far less confident of that.

I doubt we'll see the max ram change beyond 16GB. Well, they might support 8GB modules - which are so rare and expensive it's probably not worth it - but I think it's unlikely they'll have any more slots than the current model.

a Hexo core would be great! What's great about the Imac these days is that someone like me, who can't afford a maxed out Mac Pro and a really nice screen, I can still have something that works and renders LW fast and still make money. These days, we have to take what we can afford and make as much money as we can with them. I know my dream would be to have a 30 LED display with a Mac Pro 12 core 64GB RAM and a really graphics card but these days, unless you have money everywhere you see, it's just not practical.