PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup 8 and lightwave 10 collada working nicely!

prometheus
03-04-2011, 05:24 AM
googles sketchup 8 and lightwave 10 seems to work fine with collada.

I canīt figure it out thou, for a while ago I tried google sketchup 8 and export of collada to lightwave 9,6 but It just wouldnīt export any geometry, but I just tried it again and it suddenly works?? donīt know if google sketchup 8 has been updating som fix without me knowing it?

However..you will get wrong rotations, and totally of scale, so I tried the export from google sketchup 8 collada to lightwave 10, and voila the scale and rotation is absolutly correct from starters, great:thumbsup:

That was a pretty simple created geometry from scratch thou, I need to test collada with dowloaded objects in the sketchup google world.

Michael

prometheus
03-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Ohh..I was shouting too loud about this, at least for downloaded objects in the warehouse, exporting out collada with textures will crash lightwave 10.

I exploded the object and grouped it and rotation comes out wrong and weird polyfacing, I guess I have to go back to the drawing board or try deep exploration first.

Michael

prometheus
03-04-2011, 06:05 AM
The sketchup to lwo exporter works much better with warehouse models, geometry seems to be quite ok and rotation is ok, the scale differs slightly
thou.

On this house model the front porch is 12.60 meters in sketchup and
once imported to lightwave the same measurement shows 12.5984 m

Michael

Amurrell
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Is sketchup rounding? I was just wondering since precision could be different between the two programs, because the values are really close.

gerry_g
03-04-2011, 09:36 AM
if you take these models into Modo you find quite often a lot of the geometry is instanced so this could explain missing or flipped stuff (also they come in 90š rotated), the crashing thing with textures could be because LW ,dae is outdated, Modo is at 1.4.1 and does not crash on import. Also if I export anything with a colour attached to it (from Modo) it sticks, if I do the same from LW10 it does not, on a Mac you can quickly check this most of the time coss the OS has native ,dae support and the thumbnails can be prevued, even pulled up to full screen and rotated.

hunter
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I just tried it with SU 8.0.3117 and LW 10.
A 15 inch circle drawn on the ground plane in sketch up, so you would expect the normals facing Y in LW, imported into Layout at 2'5". And modeler at ~ 97'8"! Both were facing the Z axis. So not even close to matching and completely different in modeler and layout. No consistency at all with collada. The lwo importer did bring it in facing the right direction but still not to scale. :foreheads

Edit to say I just updated to the latest free version of SU and still the same issues.

dwburman
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I spent several hours last week trying to get a couple of models from the Warehouse (both downloaded .dae and exported from Sketchup) into Lightwave with zero success. I tried importing into LW, blender, and Maya 2010 and couldn't get it to work. In Blender I could get something weird (like points beyond the clipping plane with dotted lines drawn to the origin that change as i tumbled the view), but nothing usable.

The only thing I had that could open either of the models was the Preview app (Mac). I had to find a similar free .3ds, convert that in Blender and rebuild/patch it in Modeler. Should probably fogbugz it.

wesleycorgi
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Each object I've downloaded from Google warehouse is a different battle. Sometimes I can go through Blender and get 80% there so I can then edit in LW. Other times, it doesn't work.

What seems to work most consistently is using Sketchup Pro (I quickly open the eval version then close it because it is time limited) and exporting out an OBJ.

prometheus
03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I just tried it with SU 8.0.3117 and LW 10.
A 15 inch circle drawn on the ground plane in sketch up, so you would expect the normals facing Y in LW, imported into Layout at 2'5". And modeler at ~ 97'8"! Both were facing the Z axis. So not even close to matching and completely different in modeler and layout. No consistency at all with collada. The lwo importer did bring it in facing the right direction but still not to scale. :foreheads

Edit to say I just updated to the latest free version of SU and still the same issues.

weird...I had no issues at all with creating geometry and getting scale and polys facing correctly with sketchup 8 collada and LW10 , as mentioned a different story with warehouse model dowload, the house sample worked pretty decent with the lwo exporter with correct rotation and quite decent scaling.

I could post my collada export settings tomorrow when Im at work.
the sketchup to lightwave exporter plugin is up here somewhere at newtek forums reposted by me.

Michael

hunter
03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I could post my collada export settings tomorrow when Im at work.
the sketchup to lightwave exporter plugin is up here somewhere at newtek forums reposted by me.

Michael

That'd be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

theguaz
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi, have u succeed on doing a workflow that involve exporting Collada from LW10 to Sketchup ?
I'm looking for a way to export baked radiosity with UV map in collada format so i can read the model on Away3D.
I've tried a lot of approaches but none of them have worked so far.
Even when i try to read the collada on photoshop or Sketchup, nothing works!

Any help will be apreciated.

theguaz

prometheus
07-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi, have u succeed on doing a workflow that involve exporting Collada from LW10 to Sketchup ?
I'm looking for a way to export baked radiosity with UV map in collada format so i can read the model on Away3D.
I've tried a lot of approaches but none of them have worked so far.
Even when i try to read the collada on photoshop or Sketchup, nothing works!

Any help will be apreciated.

theguaz

I donīt think collada will work, donīt be fooled by this thread, I was shouting to loud before I was over the river:D

You could try to export to 3ds format instead..If you check this Lightwave to sketchup pipeline thread started by me..You will find some tips on getting exact scale from lightwave to sketchup, however I havenīt gone through the texturing part..Youll probably have to re-texture in sketchup.

As for 3ds export..triple your geometry before export..the correct scaling values rotation etc..are in my thread over here..

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119720&highlight=sketchup

god luck

Michael

Cloak&Dagger
07-22-2011, 02:10 AM
www.babel3d.com

they do free conversions. We used it for a recent project and it worked well enough. There was some clean up required (although this may have been due to the original model - we didn't build it) and it didn't have any textures so I am not sure if that part of the conversion works ok.

gerry_g
07-22-2011, 04:39 AM
tripling geometry for 3DS export after having done UV's is a really bad idea as in – could screw them up totally – kind of bad idea, advise you to experiment on a copy of your object if you do this and I doubt it will work anyway

One thing I have learn't about sketch up is that it does not support .psd, .png loads fine when exported out as .dae format unfortunately not from Lightwave where the exporter seems totally broken

marklynn
07-23-2011, 03:46 PM
haven't tried collada, but sketchup7 will export a dxf file that can be opened by LW. There used to be a plug in for earlier versions of Sketchup, and it's my understanding that now only the pro version will export dxf. I saved a 12" cube from Sketchup and also exported it as a dxf file. AutoCad recognized it and dimensioned it properly. As usual (I run into this all the time when importing stl files from AutoCad or Solidworks, LW requires a scale adjustment of 2.54% to get the correct size (to 8 decimal places), the poly's usually have to be flipped, and complex models can be pretty messed up with ugly triples.

A better solution looks to be Bonzai3D. It can open .skp files, and export to LWO's. The proper size is maintaind, quads can be achieved, and the normals are correct. At least for a 12 inch cube. Haven't tried any large models yet, but it seems I have a few house models stashed somewhere..... :)

prometheus
07-23-2011, 08:28 PM
haven't tried collada, but sketchup7 will export a dxf file that can be opened by LW. There used to be a plug in for earlier versions of Sketchup, and it's my understanding that now only the pro version will export dxf. I saved a 12" cube from Sketchup and also exported it as a dxf file. AutoCad recognized it and dimensioned it properly. As usual (I run into this all the time when importing stl files from AutoCad or Solidworks, LW requires a scale adjustment of 2.54% to get the correct size (to 8 decimal places), the poly's usually have to be flipped, and complex models can be pretty messed up with ugly triples.

A better solution looks to be Bonzai3D. It can open .skp files, and export to LWO's. The proper size is maintaind, quads can be achieved, and the normals are correct. At least for a 12 inch cube. Haven't tried any large models yet, but it seems I have a few house models stashed somewhere..... :)

I think the latest question was getting lightwave to sketchup, not the other way around even thou that is discussed here.
for sketchup to lightwave,the sketchup to lwo plugin works decently except you have to re assign the textures...scaling and most other parts seems fine mostly but it depends on original model.

Michael