PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Set Editor Trial

rifftrax
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Is there any plans to release a trail version of Virtual Set Editor?

SBowie
03-03-2011, 01:58 PM
If there are, I'm not aware of them, but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions, for whatever little that may be worth.

Edit: Just to mention it, the new TCXD850 video mention in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117341) shows a glimpse of VSE.

rifftrax
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, I do have a few questions.

1) Can you replace textures within a LiveSet, not just change the hue but change the texture it self, wood to steel for example?

2) Can you import your own 3D objects, such as object made in Lightwave?

3) Is there plans to make a Lightwave Plugin or something similar to create your own LiveSets for the XD series? I already know about the SDK but that is limited and complicated.

Thank you.

SBowie
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
1) Can you replace textures within a LiveSet, not just change the hue but change the texture it self, wood to steel for example?For 'fixed' objects like a desk, or wall in supplied LiveSet template, you can process the color (proc amp style), but not really change the object or its original texture, no.

In some of the layered templates, which are basically layer upon layer of placeholders, you could essentially create whatever you want by importing imagery rendered in your app of choice, though. Likewise, and maybe even more so for layered .psd files that you create externally and convert to LiveSets in VSE. (In many respects, this latter process would be much like what we did formerly for SD LiveSets in Aura using the LiveSet plugin).

2) Can you import your own 3D objects, such as object made in Lightwave?Not as an .lwo, no, but in many if not all cases, you can certainly render a LW object to a 32bit format in LW, and then inject the rendered image into a LiveSet template in VSE (some limitations, depending on the set design).

3) Is there plans to make a Lightwave Plugin or something similar to create your own LiveSets for the XD series?I don't know of any, if there are.

I already know about the SDK but that is limited and complicated. Complicated, indeed - but limited? I can't really agree with that, I'm afraid. It's really quite powerful. (Not a lot of fun, unless you're a geek whose knob is turned up to 11, but powerful ...)

rifftrax
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
It is most likly that I am to limited to understand the power of the SDK :D

SBowie
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
It is certainly not for the faint of heart, you've got that right. (VSE is so much friendlier, it's amazing though. I don't think I can overstate the value of being able to convert PSDs to LiveSets.)

kltv
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't think I can overstate the value of being able to convert PSDs to LiveSets.)

I'll second that! It's like having Photoshop directly connected to your switcher. So cool!

Kris

domeprod
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
What does Virtual Set Editor recognize in a PSD other than a "input a" or "input b" layer name. Its only giving us generic options to tweek (hue, saturation, IRE etc) on every layer in the PSD except "input a" or "input b".

The ready made preset virtual sets have window options and allows us to drop in an image. Its not letting us with a PSD. What can I do to change this?

Eric Pratt
05-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I think of it more as the VSE is only as powerful as the .psd it's given.
Right now the sets we are developing have channels for everything from specular, reflection, and shadows to UV coordinates, depth, and material ID maps for replacing textures and dof controls. Lightwave has a good PSD Exporter. I've actually had to reign myself in from going too far overboard.
Granted you can't use UV coordinates in Photoshop (or VSE), but you can use them in After Effects or Fusion and you can use them to paste your logo onto a curving pillar or perpectively map onto a floor, or change from one wood texture to another.
The VSE sets we are making are so cool they will have a market outside the VSE because of their advanced layering features and channels. Pretty exciting stuff for me (geek knob turned to 11).

joseburgos
05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
What does Virtual Set Editor recognize in a PSD other than a "input a" or "input b" layer name. Its only giving us generic options to tweek (hue, saturation, IRE etc) on every layer in the PSD except "input a" or "input b".

The ready made preset virtual sets have window options and allows us to drop in an image. Its not letting us with a PSD. What can I do to change this?

Right now, you would have to trick it as far as changing a window image and I'll use that as an example.
Layer input b
Layer room with windows hang alpha channel
Layer input b
Layer input a

If you bring this into VSE, you use the first input b and use the drop down menu to choose an image. Choose a skyline image and scale, position, rotate as well as the other color setting. Now because the room with windows have the alpha, you will see it behind the windows.
Next use the next input b for your b and the layer a for your a.
This is a simplistic example but should convey the way to trick the VSE PSD import function for some of your needs.

Good luck,

joseburgos
05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I think of it more as the VSE is only as powerful as the .psd it's given.
Right now the sets we are developing have channels for everything from specular, reflection, and shadows to UV coordinates, depth, and material ID maps for replacing textures and dof controls. Lightwave has a good PSD Exporter. I've actually had to reign myself in from going too far overboard.
Granted you can't use UV coordinates in Photoshop (or VSE), but you can use them in After Effects or Fusion and you can use them to paste your logo onto a curving pillar or perpectively map onto a floor, or change from one wood texture to another.
The VSE sets we are making are so cool they will have a market outside the VSE because of their advanced layering features and channels. Pretty exciting stuff for me (geek knob turned to 11).

Yeah I've been doing it this way for a long time staring with SD TriCaster sets I was compositing in Aura but forget about that. Eric this even has bigger uses and one being product packaging previz. See you render out the UVW texture and then design a template to populate the texture. So if you render a cereal box and render out say 360 degree animation with the UVW pass. Now you feed the texture template for the cereal box and a client can previz how the box will look with it's art work with zero rendering, just a single image. Add the normal pass and you could also change the lighting for the fastest packaging previz around. Same for all kind packaging like shapoo bottles, jars of jam, detergent containers, etc.
Of course you can do this in LiveSet but will have only only angle of the package at a time but that is not so bad either because of the instant display with the proper image feeding the LiveSet channel.

Anyway I went a little of topic but it's even better than you think Erik!

PS this year was the first time I delivered a XD LiveSet and the AE UVW version to a client as they had special needs. As always, I told them to use YouVeelizer plug-in.

Take care,

finaldetail
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
So if you render a cereal box and render out say 360 degree animation with the UVW pass. Now you feed the texture template for the cereal box and a client can previz how the box will look with it's art work with zero rendering, just a single image. Add the normal pass and you could also change the lighting for the fastest packaging previz around.

Probably the most helpful thing I have ever read on this forum Jose. Rendering might be the biggest time killer of all time, especially for a novice such as myself (no I will not call myself a noob). Since you proclaim you went off topic a bit, i figured nobody would mind me coming in to give a simple thank you.

Eric Pratt
08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Now picture the cereal box is a virtual set.
If only there were better support for UV and normal maps, I would love a plugin for Photoshop.

Blake W
10-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm new to the Tricaster setting, I'm just wondering if I can say import a 3d object or file from lets say "Maya" or "Silo" into the Virtual Set Editor and from there into the Tricaster.

Cheers

Eric Pratt
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Virtual Set Editor handles 2D data, so you would need to pass your 3d models as renderings. Preferably through Photoshop following the guidelines for creating an importable layered .psd file.

Blake W
10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks Eric!!!! so if I wanted to use 3d software and input it into the tricaster I would have to use lightwave then...correct!!!! (Keeping the 3d Elements and bypassing virtual set editor) or would I still need to use the VSE anyways (ultimately using .PSD) just to get the content into the Tricaster regardless of where it comes from???

Cheers

Blake W
10-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks Eric!!!!!!! so if I used Lightwave to create 3d objects would I be able to import them straight into the tricaster (Bypassing the VSE)?? or do I need to use the VSE to import any 3d objects into the Tricaster,

If it helps I'm using the TCXD300.

Cheers

SBowie
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
LightWave is not a requirement. Any suitable graphics application that can create the requisite 2D renders will do. Nor can you bypass VSE if you have LightWave, sorry.

Eric Pratt
10-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Blake, Lightwave doesn't factor into it since you are using 2d data, not 3d. You could make a liveset with your digital camera and photoshop. I just happen to use Lightwave but it could just as easily be Max, Maya, or Blender. I have to render out objects (like a desk) as a 2d layer, assemble the layers in photoshop, then import them into VSE to export as a Tricaster XD (300, 40, 850, whatever) file. So 3d program -> 2d layers -> photoshop file with layers assembled in order -> VSE -> Tricaster.

Blake W
11-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Awsome guys just Awsome!!!! this response is way over due but you both have been a great help.

We are undecided on purchasing VSE at the moment so we are playing around with the demo version, which leads me to another question that i'm sure is a simple fix,

now i'm not that familiar with photoshop (as i come from video editing) but when i import a psd my layers arn't there (I made a .psd with 8 squares on seperate layers just to test with) is this a limitation with the trial version or is there something i'm missing.

Also if any one knows what the limitations of the trial version are (Besides the water mark) please let me know.

Cheers,

SBowie
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Probably the simplest thing to suggest, Blake, would be to check out the section on PDFs in the VSE manual (which you can access either online or from TriCaster's Help menu).

Blake W
11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I should have posted once i figured it out haha, which i did shortly after the post........ sorry guys, although after reading the manual, my "new" issue is being able to move my layers position (as you can do with some of the sets in the VSE Demo) I'd love to know if there are any limitations with the Demo other than having a watermark on your work.

Eric Pratt
11-12-2012, 03:34 PM
My suggestion would be to handle all the tweaking and modification in Photoshop and then use VSE for the conversion.

Blake W
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
sounds like a smart plan.....but for argument sake what if I wanted to be able to move the layers position in the VSE Demo how would i go about getting that option with it currently not being there. I'd really love to know what the limitations are for the Demo so I have the best answers for the big chief when I'm asked why, haha

Cheers,

SBowie
11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think there are any limitations, apart from the watermark. That said, some of the features in the supplied examples rely on manual xml coding that is not possible using PSDs alone.

Blake W
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
ahh ok thanks for all the input everyone, been a great help!!!!!

Buddy.Hannon
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Right now, you would have to trick it as far as changing a window image and I'll use that as an example.
Layer input b
Layer room with windows hang alpha channel
Layer input b
Layer input a

If you bring this into VSE, you use the first input b and use the drop down menu to choose an image. Choose a skyline image and scale, position, rotate as well as the other color setting. Now because the room with windows have the alpha, you will see it behind the windows.
Next use the next input b for your b and the layer a for your a.
This is a simplistic example but should convey the way to trick the VSE PSD import function for some of your needs.

Good luck,

Jose,
Thank you!
If I was close to you, I would kiss you full on the mouth!!!

joseburgos
05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Guess I'm glad I already left Pensacola and back home ;)

Buddy.Hannon
05-24-2013, 12:49 PM
LOL!!!!
Really that little gem saves me so much time with custom sets. I even got the test set to have a replaceable logo layer.