PDA

View Full Version : Ah...the beauty of UI

Sekhar
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
It's true what Keats said: "a thing of beauty is a joy forever." I see that every time I bring up the new LW10 UI. I wonder who we have to thank for it. :)

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
??? Matt mostly.

Sekhar
03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
??? Matt mostly.

I know, that was my way of giving props to him.

Netvudu
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Did Matt have anything to do with LW10īs UI...I mean...he had input so soon?

lino.grandi
03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
With Matt working for NewTek...the UI quality is guaranteed! :thumbsup:

Matt
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Shucks! You guys! :heart:

hrgiger
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I see good things ahead with CORE with Matt at work.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Shucks! You guys! :heart:
"Shucks"?? I see Texas has got its hooks in you already. :hey:

JonW
03-03-2011, 01:34 PM
LW UI is a bit like a conventional clock, level meter or other dial gauge. It works.

Digital clocks & the like, icons etc just fail to work. You have to take on a mental note of what it is saying, there is always this extra mental step, it may be brief, but it there & it’s very irritating.

I will say that there is always room for improvement. Windows viewports editor panels etc. It would be nice if they could snap to the side of the monitor & to each other. Also some which are close in size are just a little different in size, a bit of massaging here would be an improvement. Some like Objects in the Light Properties, it would be nice if you could stretch the panel, it’s very irritating when you have 1600 vertical pixels on the monitor to use & you can only use about a third of them.

kopperdrake
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
"Shucks"?? I see Texas has got its hooks in you already. :hey:

He probably meant 'crikey' - you can take the Matt out of the Midlands, but you can't take the Midlands out of the Matt...

...or can you!?

Matt
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
He probably meant 'crikey' - you can take the Matt out of the Midlands, but you can't take the Midlands out of the Matt...

...or can you!?

Or Leeds!

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
LW UI is a bit like a conventional clock, level meter or other dial gauge. It works.

{snip}

I will say that there is always room for improvement. Windows viewports editor panels etc. ....
I remember when they added "Load Image" to the image dropdown menu. A revolution!!!

Sometimes it's the little things: Matt already knows about this, but the fact that the DopeTrack menu does not work like all the other menus and is pessimally organized just highlights how well the other pop-outs work (ie, defaulting to your last choice).

4dartist
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I have to totally agree. The 10 interface is awesome. Especially on the mac, fixing so many previous glitches. (there are a couple left in the texture editor, like when the window flashes when picking between layers).

I love the LW10 blue. :)

GandB
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I checked out the demo; all I saw (without delving into it) was that it was the same layout, with a different color. Am I missing something?

probiner
03-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Had the same sensation GandB... I guess it's soemthing you understand only when you use it.

GandB
03-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Then it's not just me? I thought maybe there was some uber/super UI available to actual owners of 10 or something.

GandB
03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Was anyone going to chime in to clarify this (Matt?), or is it truly just a color change and some other tweaks?

Sekhar
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Was anyone going to chime in to clarify this (Matt?), or is it truly just a color change and some other tweaks?

Right, and Brad Pitt has the same ears, eyes, and nose as the rest of us...just with "some other tweaks." :) The point was that the new UI looks beautiful - i.e., we're talking about form, not function. And yes, "just a color change and some other tweaks" can make a huge difference if done right...and Matt has done it right.

probiner
03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Fair enough sekhar, we were just thinking that there was something more than that we were not seeing, given that we've already had a peek on Matt's UI ideas for LW and CORE that were very different from the 9.6 scheme. In no way meaning that the current scheme optimization it's a poor accomplishment.

Cheers

4dartist
03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
probiner and GandB...

I can't speak for the others that posted here, but I would say it's a lot more than color changes. (for the Mac)

The UI has a different 'feel' in 10 than 9.6 on the Mac side of things. It fixes so many bugs that were stuck in the Mac builds for as long as I can remember.. they were utterly frustrating and time consuming to work around, but are now gone, and things are once again working good. There are even little bonus that you wouldn't notice unless you used the program every day too, so maybe you are missing those things. Once you see it a little grin forms and get enough of those and maybe you get inspired to post on a thread like this. One of them was the ability to actually stretch the Classic Scene editor to the bottom of my screen on the Mac Lightwave. It would always max out short of the bottom by a good deal. I couldn't help but say, "Sweet!" when I noticed it.

Also, I've never messed with lightwaves colors so this could have probably been changed, but as a color default user I like 10's much better. It's more than just the dark gray too, there are quite a few great things going on. They hit on them in a Lightwave 10 video somewhere, not sure if everyone has access to it or not. It talks about all the UI changes.

So, for me, I wouldn't agree it's just a color change.

GandB
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I still don't understand? From what I saw, it's simply just a different color. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand what all the "hoopla" is about?

Sorry; you posted at the same time as me.

They hit on them in a Lightwave 10 video somewhere, not sure if everyone has access to it or not. It talks about all the UI changes.
I haven't seen this video; does anyone know where it's at? Please tell me it's not on the HC Forums only.

4dartist
03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Well honestly GandB, maybe 4 or 5 people posted they thought the new UI looked great. (one person may have took it a bit further lol) Out of all the users using 10, to have a few people say something positive doesn't really seem like it should count as 'hoopla'. You're not missing anything, if you weren't impressed then you won't be by using it longer than just trying the demo I'm sure.

I'm looking for the post they made that linked to all the videos. They had 3 new linear workflow videos in that post too. Those were super helpful. I'm looking... I think it may have come in an email that had a link to the post. I'll let you know if I can locate it.. has to be here somewhere.

4dartist
03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
The update that has the videos. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117200)

It should be safe to link this outside the hardcore forums because you need access to get to it. So anyways, that link as the color space videos, as well as the UI information. Hope that helps a little.

Lewis
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I still don't understand? From what I saw, it's simply just a different color. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand what all the "hoopla" is about?

Sorry; you posted at the same time as me.

I haven't seen this video; does anyone know where it's at? Please tell me it's not on the HC Forums only.

- It's nicer color scheme overall with ability to tweak all colors as user preference (which wasn't available previously in that deep)
- it's less bevel on buttons = more space for text
- change for some spacing and minimized wasted space in various panels (i.e. presets for surfaces don't have those black bars anymore)
- little rounded corners (very subtle but stylish) but not too much as it was on siggraph videos
- Few new icons as Active Camera on view port, VPR settings, Save VPR ....
- Changed behavior/look of some panels i.e. if you turn off radiosity settings you still can see switches (although ghosted) what were stayed on unlike in Lw 9.x where you don't see then until you re-enable GI again
- probably more but Matt would know better what else is changed

Basically "small" but very workflow helping tweaks and Matt did excellent work on that and you really notice it after switching back to 9.6 after few days of work in 10 :). Then you see how you miss those subtle changes. Workflow, workflow and more workflow enhancments - that's the key ;).

GandB
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Lewis: Thanks for the thorough description! That's what I was looking for.

Ben: I don't have access to the HC Forums, so it does me no good. What good is keeping the video in the HC Forums anyways? LW10 is out now. I'll never understand NT's need to keep a good majority of people in the dark on some of these things, unless they want to pay...

Thanks for searching for the video for me though, I appreciate the thought! ;)

4dartist
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Lewis: Thanks for the thorough description! That's what I was looking for.

Ben: I don't have access to the HC Forums, so it does me no good. What good is keeping the video in the HC Forums anyways? LW10 is out now. I'll never understand NT's need to keep a good majority of people in the dark on some of these things, unless they want to pay...

Thanks for searching for the video for me though, I appreciate the thought! ;)

You bet. I think they give videos to HC users before the other users and public because they said they would as a benefit for signing up for HC. At least that's my guess.. I totally agree with you though, those videos could definitely help shed some light on things people on the fence may love to see. I'm sure they'll be released at some point, well.. I guess I'm not sure, I just hope so!

I don't think I really noticed a lot of those things until I saw that video, so once you do it'll really point out things you didn't notice (which may be a good thing!). Lewis' list is spot on.

dwburman
03-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Matt also fixed the dope track so you can tell the difference between a keyframe and a hash mark when the time slider is over it.

Lewis
03-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Matt also fixed the dope track so you can tell the difference between a keyframe and a hash mark when the time slider is over it.

Yes that one too, and Timeline now has small highlight triangle (tip) when it meets keyframe = easier to know/see it's non keyframe.