PDA

View Full Version : Need tutorial

lreyes
03-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Is there a good tutorial on how to put joints in a mesh? I am having a hard time combining a joint rig into a mesh. Do I have to make a null first or can I bring in my mesh? After I bring in my mesh of a human figure where do I start to build the joints? it seems that the joints I put in a mesh they are hard to select unless they are outside of the mesh. There are many tutorials on how to make joint rigs, but nothing about aligning them into a mesh! I hope I asked this problem or question correctly!

nickdigital
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
You could add bones to a null and then later replace your null with your mesh. Or keep the skeleton on your null and under the bones options of your object set it to "Use Bones From" and select the null.

Most people use Front Face Wireframe to place their bones. If you're in a shaded view you could turn on bone x-ray.

If you're looking for tutorials I would highly recommend RebelHill's tutorial. He goes through the ENTIRE process of rigging and also explains all the technical bits.
http://www.rebelhill.net/html/rhr.html

RebelHill
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Well there's an awful lot to go through to find out everything...

However, as for difficulty in selecting joints, don't know why that would be, Ive not seen it... however it alwasy helps to lock your mesh, no matter what you're doing so you dont keep selecting it by mistake.

Otherwise, joints/bones need to be children of an object so either mesh or null, makes no difference, but any mesh to be affected by them needs to have its "use bones fonr" option set correctly (even if its to self).

As for where to put them, and how to align them, you generally stick to anatomical skeletal norms for the most part in placement, good placement will make things turn out a lot better from the start,a nd you can align them in the same way you would align anything else... some folks find it easier to lay things out using bones, and then convert to joints afterwards, as the visula discrepency between rotated parent/translated child is more obvious.

lreyes
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks on those replies, I will try it. sooooo much to learn...thank those posters that are well taught by doing or trail and error...

jeric_synergy
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Please make your subject lines more informative: tutorial for what? It helps us bypass the stuff we can't contribute to.

lreyes
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
good advise

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Also, there's over 24 hours of tutorials of all types free for the download @Newtek.

They're not as complete as RebelHill's, nor as deep, but they'll get you started.

dwburman
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Also, you might find it easier to see/click on the bones/joints if you turn Bone X-Ray on. It's in one of the drop down menus on the top of the viewports.