PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk 2012

cgisoul
03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Ptex support? Editable Stencils? Interesting...
Video: http://area.autodesk.com/test/products/mudbox/overviewvid?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=520&width=840
http://area.autodesk.com/mudbox2012

Video: http://area.autodesk.com/gdc2011/editable?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=520&width=840
http://area.autodesk.com/maya2012

probiner
03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Sounds like they looked to 3D coat in some points. Image Adjustments were something only found in 3D-Coat i guess, and it makes sense to have it in a Image Software. Also the weighting. Ptex not so much.

Anyway fun stuff going on. That motion trail looks yummy, looks like After Effects in 3D, which makes a lot of sense, i guess.

cgisoul
03-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Sounds like they looked to 3D coat in some points. Image Adjustments were something only found in 3D-Coat i guess, and it makes sense to have it in a Image Software. Also the weighting. Ptex not so much.

Anyway fun stuff going on. That motion trail looks yummy, looks like After Effects in 3D, which makes a lot of sense, i guess.

Image adjustments is in Zbrush with the spotlight. It's now in mudbox as well, in which, it was a very crucial feature for me. I am ready to put Zbrush aside (period) for what I do. Some of the enhancements/features were already in SAP. Overall is definitely in the right direction.

Intuition
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Though I need not prove my love for maya I must confess that having the motion trails ( a Lightwave native feature for 15 years) is a happy addition to the maya feature set.

We've been runnnin maya 2012 here for a few months in testing. Though not in full production yet. Maya 2012 is a big feature update. Also, mudbox updates are great and kind of offset the features we used Mari for.

Ptex is huge. Is being converted for use in Vray maya. Will become an industry standard. Its just so easy to get painting without worry. The Pixar SubD edge weighting may take over too.

geo_n
03-02-2011, 01:09 AM
More than ever I think AD will swallow this whole industry. They just keep getting better and better. And I worry that small companies, maxon, newtek, pmg, luxolgy, etc, will not catch up. Just not right to have too much monopoly.

The viewport renderer has npr
http://download.autodesk.com/us/3dsmaxproducts/features2012/3ds_max_2012_nitrous_graphics_core_1300x780.html

akademus
03-02-2011, 01:19 AM
They're still lost in time :)

Red_Oddity
03-02-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm hoping there will be more to the Maya 2012 update than mostly game industry aimed enhancements (i hope this are just some of the tools they show geared towards the GDC crowd), so far i'm not that impressed, but i'm glad for the addition of some tools.

Seems like AD has been licensing/re-purposing a lot of tech to fill out this update to something worthwhile on first glance (DMM, Substance, Craft Animation Tools, Motion Builder FBIK/HumanIK, etc).

Ah well, we'll see when it's available in our subscription downloads.

cresshead
03-02-2011, 05:47 AM
i see mudbox 2012 has got the maya style hotbox :thumbsup:

http://www.maxunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mudbox2012.jpg

3ds"Wax" viewport thingy.....celshade in viewport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6Kpbh7vgo

Andyjaggy
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Well I'm not terribly impressed with the max updates. Looks like they tacked on some more plugins and reworked the viewports. If the viewports actually work better I will be happy, but my guess is it will be like most other Max feature updates these days, disappointing.

Netvudu
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Iīm not at all impressed with anything I saw. It looks like they are putting stuff that creates eyecandy for the user, not for the final product.
First of all the seem hugely inclined towards game market, but even worse, I talked to a couple of friends working in the game industry and they told me the updates sucks in their opinion. Why are they going to spend time tweaking shaders for having a cool real time view inside MAX, if they will have to retweak shaders in their native engine to have the same cool view? double effort anyone? :p

zarti
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
i must admit ; beside the mudboks , no any other product of audesk ' turn$ me on ' .

this time im going to have it ..

.. after trying the demo , oc .

Intuition
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd say that the biggest upgrades were for maya and mudbox and even some motionbuilder exchange.

Maya's release is huge. Ptex, Pixar subD w/edge weighting (compatible with modo 501 even). DMM dynamics. 80 Substance procedurals (major update to the whole idea of procedurals in general). Ptex and Pixar subD integration with Maya/Vray.

Mudbox has some great new painting modes that are like Mari/modo.

I think Maya was the winner this upgrade year.

Sadly Softimage didn't seem to get ptex or PXsubD. Though Maya can connect to softimage for seamless ICE integration.

I can't speak for max, haven't kept up.

But maya's full list is here.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/maya-1

Since I use Maya daily I am happy about this. If you aren't a maya user then I imagine it may not sway you to the dark side of the force. ;D

zarti
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM

.. after trying the demo , oc .

which is being cooked yet ..

pooby
03-02-2011, 03:30 PM
SI users certainly havent been shortchanged.
Non ICE users might not immediately see the significance in ICE topology, but that's pretty big news as is ICE syflex and the SDK changes in SI2012, for example, one guy is well on the way to recreating that new Maya viewport curve manipulator in SI already.

cresshead
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Iīm not at all impressed with anything I saw. It looks like they are putting stuff that creates eyecandy for the user, not for the final product.
First of all the seem hugely inclined towards game market, p

i'll give you a clue....

G.D.C

games developers conference...
you like you said...it seems mainly about games...i wonder why that is?
:D

Chris S. (Fez)
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I know this is the wrong forum, but you know what I am most excited about after seeing the AD 2012 news? LW 10.X. Seriously.

cgisoul
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
i must admit ; beside the mudboks , no any other product of audesk ' turn$ me on ' .

I have to confess, After Mud v.1, I always had been eager to swap zbrush for mudbox full time use. However, I didn't take it further as mudbox was missing some important features, until this latest release.
I like Zbrush, but I love mudbox UI candy and above all, its user friendly workflow.

I am really happy with mudbox enhancements they have implemented, is looking good, very good even within Maya - Mudbox workflow and the Ptex support.

I just hope the hotbox in mudbox can be customized, that would be the another bomb in workflow perspective.

Red_Oddity
03-03-2011, 04:33 AM
I'd say that the biggest upgrades were for maya and mudbox and even some motionbuilder exchange.

Maya's release is huge. Ptex, Pixar subD w/edge weighting (compatible with modo 501 even). DMM dynamics. 80 Substance procedurals (major update to the whole idea of procedurals in general). Ptex and Pixar subD integration with Maya/Vray.

Mudbox has some great new painting modes that are like Mari/modo.

I think Maya was the winner this upgrade year.

Sadly Softimage didn't seem to get ptex or PXsubD. Though Maya can connect to softimage for seamless ICE integration.

I can't speak for max, haven't kept up.

But maya's full list is here.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/maya-1

Since I use Maya daily I am happy about this. If you aren't a maya user then I imagine it may not sway you to the dark side of the force. ;D

Of which alot we already had a while ago with the subscription Advantage pack.
Also, DMM stops being useful in production the moment you want to shatter anything more than a couple of cubes (slow is an understatement)

Not that i don't like some of the updates, but when you pay a boat load of subscriptions (a 1000 euros a pop per year) out of your own pocket, it kinda makes you want to kick some programmers at AD to actually release something worth that money.

Andyjaggy
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I thought the same thing.

Netvudu
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
i'll give you a clue....

G.D.C

games developers conference...
you like you said...it seems mainly about games...i wonder why that is?
:D

and the neeeews aaare...apparently cresshead isnīt filtering my forum messages anymore :D

Intuition
03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I thought modo 501 was edge-weight compatible with earlier versions of Maya. Which means that the Pixar SDS has been the Maya method for some time.

You are 100% correct.

I meant to put emphasis on the idea that we can use these things in combination now. Ptex + pixSub+Vray... etc etc. ;D

Sorry about the mix up.

Intuition
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Of which alot we already had a while ago with the subscription Advantage pack.
Also, DMM stops being useful in production the moment you want to shatter anything more than a couple of cubes (slow is an understatement)

Not that i don't like some of the updates, but when you pay a boat load of subscriptions (a 1000 euros a pop per year) out of your own pocket, it kinda makes you want to kick some programmers at AD to actually release something worth that money.

Yeah, we've been running mostly maya 2009 still here at DD. I use maya 2011 at home and had not updated the 2011.5 so I missed that we had the dmm and substance add ons.

It was news to me even though we had the 2012 beta here at DD. I had opened the beta and seen these things but had never once opened 2011.5. ;D

Intuition
03-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I know this is the wrong forum, but you know what I am most excited about after seeing the AD 2012 news? LW 10.X. Seriously.

Wrong forum? Hahah, you might be right. No love for LW here anymore eh?

To be sure, the LW price and feature set is great for many people. :D :thumbsup:

realgray
03-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I was wondering if the new shatter capabilities in Maya were a response to Volumebreaker/Rayfire. Has anyone used it?

lardbros
03-04-2011, 05:44 AM
More than ever I think AD will swallow this whole industry. They just keep getting better and better. And I worry that small companies, maxon, newtek, pmg, luxolgy, etc, will not catch up. Just not right to have too much monopoly.

The viewport renderer has npr
http://download.autodesk.com/us/3dsmaxproducts/features2012/3ds_max_2012_nitrous_graphics_core_1300x780.html

Hmmmm, I'd be careful... that's how they market it... but bet it's nowhere near as good as they say?

Is nitrous actually a viewport preview renderer?? They don't really explain in great detail do they?

It's all marketing propaganda. Look at the machine they uses on the iRay demos... yes it has a modest 8 cores, but it also has 2 GPU boards... these could be 2 tesla boards, or 2 quadro 5000's... either way, it's a LOT of money, and it's still relatively slow!

So they are actually comparing a final image of:

2hrs on a render in Mental Ray on the 8 core machine...

VERSUS

2hrs on the same machine with 2 GPU boards, AND the 8 Cores.... of course the results will be better!!

I am impressed with the new UV tools, they needed work for A VERY LONG time... but the retopology video made me piss my pants... is it some kind of joke??? They even edit the video because it clearly took the guy too long to work with the pathetic tools, and then go back to him when he's done all of the hard work! Hilarious!

Anyway, we continue to use 3ds max at work, and it does the job okay... but we have been waiting for 4 years for an actual decent upgrade!

Maybe next year?

cresshead
03-04-2011, 05:50 AM
and the neeeews aaare...apparently cresshead isnīt filtering my forum messages anymore :D

new year...fresh start n all that:thumbsup:

enjoy autoscratch...it sorts out 9/10 itches:)

RebelHill
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I really like the Fcurve viewport tools they show. Ofc, LW has had a similar thing for sometime, being able to move your keyframes around in the viewport, but this implementation is so much slicker... fewr trips/less time spent in the GE has goot abe good.

The only thing I didnt like the look of was having to right click hit the menu to show tangents, ease in out, etc, etc... If you wound up doing a good deal of your curve refinement in viewport, all that clicking about could get a lil annoying... im sure you could probs block select and turn them on en masse though, which would solve it.

Any which way, while there's clearly a good bunch of good things for different types of users, that thing is just plain handy.

MaDDoX
03-04-2011, 10:46 PM
For me the only thing relatively interesting was the new Qt GUI for MotionBuilder. Oh yeah, and they'll apparently finally fix FBIK and make the FK rig properly sync with the IK rig and get rid of those "ghost reach keys" that are automatically set out of nowhere and screw hours of your day. This last part I'm not very excited about since I already simply move stuff to Mobu and animate it in there, no hassles. Nevertheless, the supposedly better anim retargetting should help with bringing the animation back for render, supposing you've already set up your character with a ton of nodes, etc.

But it's just too little, imo the whole 2012 lineup so far is very unexciting, Autodesk seems to be getting lazy and leaving room for the competition. Which is good in the end.

Ofc user needs are different and depending on your workflow or typical job demands this upgrade might be interesting.

Lewis
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Though I need not prove my love for maya I must confess that having the motion trails ( a Lightwave native feature for 15 years) is a happy addition to the maya feature set.

Well yes LW has them for looooong time but see LW didnt' advance it's motion trails for last 15 years at all. It even decreased usability somewhere eon path along till now since currently it shows only 60 frames and not all frames like it used to do in past. And although Maya didn't have this up till now now it's fantastic and has tons of more options (frames number, coloring, line thickens......). That's what's bothers me with some LW. Stuff where Lw was ahead of competition (hint modeler) come to competition with added functionality while LWs stayed in 90's and other Stuff what was weaker in LW still didn't catch up with competition in most cases :(.

cresshead
03-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Well yes LW has them for looooong time but see LW didnt' advance it's motion trails for last 15 years at all. It even decreased usability somewhere eon path along till now since currently it shows only 60 frames and not all frames like it used to do in past. And although Maya didn't have this up till now now it's fantastic and has tons of more options (frames number, coloring, line thickens......). That's what's bothers me with some LW. Stuff where Lw was ahead of competition (hint modeler) come to competition with added functionality while LWs stayed in 90's and other Stuff what was weaker in LW still didn't catch up with competition in most cases :(.

trajectory display option for 3dsmax has been available for many years also.

i think cinema4d was the first app to let you have spline handles for 'in viewport' editing of the motion so maya seems to have copied them in this regard.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93348&d=1299374330

thomascheng
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm not terribly impressed, I do like being able to adjust the animation curves in the viewport. The more adjustment you can make directly in viewport the better.

cresshead
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not terribly impressed, I do like being able to adjust the animation curves in the viewport. The more adjustment you can make directly in viewport the better.

yeh if you want biezier handles in the viewport then it's maya and cinema4d only as i understand it currently.

lightwave - no
3dsmax - no
:hey: