PDA

View Full Version : After Effects and VT[2]

creach
10-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Hi there!

With the news that Aura's upgrade path leads thru a $900 upgrade to "Mirage", we are going to evaluate our choices.

For those that are using VT[2] and After Effects v5 (or newer): how is the AE .rtv read/write thing? Does it work - all the time, or just some of the time? How well does Toaster read AE-produced .rtvs? How does installing AE affect the Toaster, or does it affect it at all?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Dan

Dan Hong
10-01-2003, 11:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can upgrade to Mirage for under $300 dollars. It looks like a great upgrade.
I'm also a big After Effects user. The RTV integration is great. Unless you use the Bob Tasa plugins, the alpha channel is not supported. Although with the latest VT3 patch, there is a stand alone RTV codec and support for 32 AVI files.

Bobt
10-01-2003, 12:29 PM
And my stuff is still out there for $99

www.toastergarage.com
Bob

creach
10-01-2003, 07:32 PM
I seem to remember reading three or four weeks ago that Aura was not going to be carried or even packaged with VT anymore. I could be wrong. The article I read (wish I could remember where I saw it) pointed towards Mirage, and a $295 upgrade with the caveat that: the upgrade "window" would close soon (September first, I think) and that any further support of Aura would come from Bauhaus, not NewTek.

To confirm what Dan Hong has just posted, the window *is* still open until October 14 or 15. And the dealer I spoke to on the east coast said that Aura *would* still be packaged with Toaster...contrary to what I had read earlier. Surprising. But then, I *am* getting old, and I suppose senility DOES happen every day! :(

Now it's a complete no-brainer. Upgrade to Mirage for $295, and end up with a killer video paint app, or spend $699 for AE and $99 for Bob's plugin to use alpha with .rtv.

And this dealer out east told me he just had a demo of Mirage, and that it was an excellent deal...even for $900.

So tomorrow, I'll go and talk to my boss.

Thanks, folks
Dan

Mike Watkins
10-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Someone above said:
"I'm also a big After Effects user. The RTV integration is great. Unless you use the Bob Tasa plugins, the alpha channel is not supported."

This is false. The NewTek rtv file format plugin for After Effects has always supported alpha channel.

Paul Lara
10-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by creach
I seem to remember reading that Aura was not going to be carried or even packaged with VT anymore. I could be wrong.

Untrue. Aura VT will continue as part of the Integrated Production Suite.

creach
10-02-2003, 07:42 AM
...and I covered my butt on that one. But, I also noticed no-one corrected my remembered upgrade window date. I'll take your collective silences to mean I recalled correctly! :)

But while you're all here, what will the integration with Mirage be like? Will Mirage run on the VT desktop, replacing Aura? Will it run side-by-side (concurrently) with Aura? Or will it only run from the windoze desktop?

...and what about Naomi?
Dan

James Moore
10-02-2003, 09:45 AM
AE 5.5 works great with a toaster in the machine.

If you want a standalone copy of AE (non toaster machine) then Bob Tasa's plugins are the way to go for full rtv support.

Mike Watkins
10-02-2003, 05:40 PM
The current patch for VT[3] includes RTV file format plugins that will run on a non-toaster machine.

James Moore
10-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Wow, kewl!!! I (obviously) didn't know that.

Quiver007
10-03-2003, 05:34 PM
I have two Aura 2.5 licenses for sale if you are interested.