PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding UV tute

jeric_synergy
03-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm enjoying a really outstanding UV tutoriala by Steve Warner:

http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

Covers native LW UV tools, plg Tools, and some Mac tools.

Enjoy!

JeffrySG
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Yep this is very good. This is what got me started using blender for my unwrapping as I'm on a Mac. But it's still a pain to break the mesh apart on the mac before bringing into blender. I'm sure I could seam the uv in blender too but I just never learned that.

probiner
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Why not do the UV maps in 3D Coat?
It's like it was free on that matter...For that and for retopology.
I format my pc from time to time, but i always install latest 3D-Coat release at some point for the fun that it is. Many times i go pass the 30 days trial and enter the demo. You can still import models, make UV, Retopo and Export... at least you could...

JeffrySG
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I didn't know that about 3DC. I downloaded it a long time ago but didnt have time to test it during the 30days. I'll try the demo again. :)

jeric_synergy
03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Yep this is very good. This is what got me started using blender for my unwrapping as I'm on a Mac. But it's still a pain to break the mesh apart on the mac before bringing into blender. I'm sure I could seam the uv in blender too but I just never learned that.
Some of Steve's workflow in this particular video seemed like he hadn't yet fully integrated Edges. A couple of places I thought I saw opportunities where you could use Edge selection and then "Sel Points" to streamline a few operations. (I could definitely be wrong on this.)

And of course, the Mac has these.

kojean
03-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm enjoying a really outstanding UV tutorial by Steve Warner:
Thanks for the link. I may have bookmarked it before, but this is a good reminder to go back and watch the videos.

Why not do the UV maps in 3D Coat?
It's like it was free on that matter...For that and for retopology.
Which version was that? The current 3D-Coat download page says demo mode export functions are disabled (after 30 days).

I fiddled with the trial a while ago, but wasn't ready to make the investment yet. I might have another look, if there are some useful limited functions after 30 days.

gpdesigner
03-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Nice tute . . it seems like a lot to go through to unwrap a mesh. plugins sure make life easy, It's a shame you can't get plugins made for Mac that make life easier, why we need ( Mac users) to add a second program in the mix is beyond me . . .