PDA

View Full Version : animation practise.

oliversimonnet
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey
I realised i never really do much animation because im not very good at it, but if i dont practice im never going to progress. So here is an animation i spent the last two days on.
I was woundering what you guys/girls think. :)

Thanks in advance.
Animation practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7vnE03M1k)

Dexter2999
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Smaller chunks, Sir.

You are trying to do too much. You have so many exercises in just one clip.
Walking
Running
Climbing
Jumping

You could spend 4 or 5 seconds on each of those.

oliversimonnet
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
what do you mean? :)
(i wanted to chalenge myself. :) )

gordonrobb
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks good to me. A couple of niggles. When he jumps the gap, he flys and lands too quickly I think. Also, when he leaps up the wall, he good do with his hands going over his head.

oliversimonnet
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
hmm i agree with him landing to fast, timeing it was a nightmare, the keyframeing is a bit of a mess :) im happy witht he result tho.
yeah now that it hink about it his hands should go over his head, thanks.

Ryan Roye
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I think one of the biggest things you need to work on is "anticipation"...

To jump high, you first have to swing your arms back before throwing them up for maximum momentum.

When approaching a ledge intending to climb it, you have to stretch your your arms beforehand.

When you start walking, you tend to lean forward slightly before taking that first step.

Always think ahead when moving characters. This is something I often have to remind myself to do... it can be tricky, and I imagine even experts find themselves scratching their heads at times in complex scenarios and thinking "ok, how does this work physically? What are the inertial forces at work here? How should my characters react to these forces?"

oliversimonnet
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
thanks for the tips
on t he climing up the wall i dint have any reference or anything i had to try and imagine it.
but yeah you are right :) thanks

Dashermkii
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
A few think i want to help out with. i want to start with saying im not good at animating and dont do it as often as i want (becuase im lazy and want to play video games)
im going to make a small list of things i think may help
"-"=my point it comes frist
"*"=just more stuff on it not realy important

1-Untill you know what your doing it you want it to look real use a reference-* I understand that if you want to make a space ship you shouldnt copy someones else's but looking at anouther space ship and taking bits and pieces from it and bits and pieces of other stuff is a good way to start. also copying someones spaceship (as practice not as work) is a good way to get the feel of make spaceships/whatever you want to make)*

2-you animations seem to fast and forced try making it look slow and smooth-*this mayjust be the flow of your work but look at it once and try to think how a realy person or use a REFERNCE to get the feel of how fast it really is*

3-as chazriker said its realy important-

i think thats all i have only 3 things but mainly look at number one becuase it covers the other ones

oliversimonnet
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey "Dashermkii"
I did have a story board drawn out 1st before I started. Hehe but no proper reference, such as videos of people running, climbing, jumping, I had to imagine it for that.

But hey its practice, and I uploaded it to get feedback, and I appreciate all the tips :)

oliversimonnet
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey guys off subject off my animation but still on the subject of my learning animation.

How can i learn animation such as:
How to animate balance.
How to animate lifting/pulling heavy objects.
And most of all for me anyway, timing.

Without some kind of tutor, everything i know so fare are from tutorials on the net. but you don't really find tutorials based around those areas and what you need to know to be able to do those kind of animations.

Basically, I'm a bit stuck, I don't know how i can learn how to do those animations on my own. :S

KurtF
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
One of the best investments you'll every make:

http://jefflew.com/

geo_n
03-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Hey guys off subject off my animation but still on the subject of my learning animation.

How can i learn animation such as:
How to animate balance.
How to animate lifting/pulling heavy objects.
And most of all for me anyway, timing.

Without some kind of tutor, everything i know so fare are from tutorials on the net. but you don't really find tutorials based around those areas and what you need to know to be able to do those kind of animations.

Basically, I'm a bit stuck, I don't know how i can learn how to do those animations on my own. :S

I'm also learning western animation, the best are the classic 2D. I don't want to be stuck editing mocap which is where japanese animation are all headed.
Many principles of animation I really didn't know and if I did know, it will take me years to be good at.
Really its best to study 2d animation from disney, warner brothers, etc. They all made the formula and guidelines to follow.
keys, extremes, contact, passing position, overlapping action, followthrough, movingholds, animate on 1s,2s,3s. Those are the basics and then have to add character and personality to that to make it alive.
I think I can get just the basics in 6 months. Just the basics if I study 8 hours a day:D. I didn't realize it would be this complex and thought just move,rotate point a to point b.
I proposed an animation speed challenge here at newtek but no one was interested. I guess there's more modellers for lightwave. There's 11secondclub but its for advance animators. Maybe in 2 years I'll try it there. :D

oliversimonnet
03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
@KurtF:
aan thans i cant find any purchase button on the website tho haha :)
@geo_n: hmm yeah i have been looking at some 2D animating books, i just dont know what one to get hehe :)

oliversimonnet
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Got it in the end. hehe :)
And you are rite it was totally worth it.

Here are some new animations i have done. I thought i should post them here instead of opening a new thread :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWw3gjyJ87k

oliversimonnet
01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Hello
I was going to post this in a new thread but then realised I had this one :)
Been getting serious about animation lately and this is what I have accomplished so far :)
I appreciate all corrections and tips
General animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhygPINYY-I)
Weightlifting animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-w6EBhJ7k)

vector
01-29-2012, 03:00 AM
About General animation:

You should adjust the animation because: The balls seem hitting the ground not bouncing, but I think your improvement is obvius :)

Vector

oliversimonnet
01-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it
I'll see if I can fix the issue :)
And thanks :)

bazsa73
01-29-2012, 08:18 AM
the weightlifting is funny, you could attach the guy all the time to the bar so it flies with it, into the wall for example or if the guy can balance with it and is able to hold it over his head he abruptly goes through the floor like in those Tex Avery toons

(I like the parkour as well)

oliversimonnet
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah I was thinking of having him go through the floor for the animation. Ill probably do it in one of the next ones :)

RebelHill
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
not bad, but a lil stiff, and a bit too snappy in places too. Loosen up your moves across time a bit and pay more attention to your ease ins/outs Id say.

oliversimonnet
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the compliment and the advise, I appreciate it :)

oliversimonnet
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Here are a couple more animations I have done.
Each one had its own challenge.
Room for improvement of course but I'm making progress I think :)
Two characters in one scene: Fight animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjwL5Ng4Oo)
Projectile: Archer animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU72c9SwBg&feature=youtu.be)

oliversimonnet
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Just finished polishing of my new Ninja Fight animation. I just created it to work on my animation skills and I wanted to play around with some HV. :)

Ninja Animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ecQqE4_OOU&feature=youtu.be

Ryan Roye
08-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Not bad, I think in your next animation project you should try to focus on easing in/out of motions. You seem to be getting everything else down... I am seeing more and more clean motion arcs with every new video. As always, keep an eye on your motion curves... if there are kinks or they don't make clean arcs then go in and correct it. Switching to bounding box view and having motion curves on can help you spot irregularities... I have it so that I can toggle my views with the alt+shift+RMB menu so it isn't as much of a pain to switch back and fourth as needed.