PDA

View Full Version : Softwareless Toaster edition???

svbell
10-01-2003, 07:42 AM
I have an interrogation and I am puzzled by this...
I ordered to my workstation constructor a VT3, and he is supposed to deliver the beauty tomorrow. He told me today that, as opposed to what I was expecting, there is no software that comes with the edition I asked.

I told him when I placed the order that I was a registered LightWave user, and as such we should be able to have the special discount price when ordering the hardware from NewTek.

When he ordered the package, he mentionned it, but we've never been asked for a registration number, and once the vendor received the package, he said he installed everything, 6 CDs, everything, but there is no trace of any kind of editing software, no LightWave Express, no VTEdit, Aura or SpeedRazor.

This puzzles me... Is it just that the guy didn't checked at the right place on the PC? Or the VT3 for the LW users edition does not come with any editing soft, or what...?? I am worrying a little bit........

-sv

JReble
10-01-2003, 07:52 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like the guy you're buying from doesn't have a clue about the product at all. It sounds like he installed the content disks, but failed to load the Toaster program disk which is the most important part of the whole system. That is the software that includes everything you mentioned.

Is this a dealer or a second-hand deal? In either event I'm sure you're entitled to at least the Toaster2 program software if you don't have it already.

svbell
10-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Well the guy is an authorized NewTek dealer, and he sold Toaster workstations in the past as far as I know... Maybe that is the first time he actually installs it though. But I admit he is more confident and used to sell Matrox DigiSuite solution than NewTek's.

This is my first Toaster ever I am buying, so I don't have anything VT2.

Guess I'll see tomorrow, but damn I am so much looking forward to that workstation, I don't want to spend another 2 weeks without any editing in the office.

sv

tomahack
10-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Sybell. where are you located in Canada?

svbell
10-01-2003, 08:24 AM
I am in Montreal, Quebec... You too??
sv

RomainR
10-01-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm in Montreal,

who are you getting this from?

svbell
10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Got if from HLLR, in Laval. I purchase all my video editing stuff from them since 1995. Nice guys, competitive prices and great service. This is the first time I get a weird thing like this, looks like this is the first Toaster they handle...!!

sv

RomainR
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Don't know these guys, I can't think of any reason why you would get a softwareless toaster card.

What use would that be. Maybe a quick call to your dealer to find out what kind of bundle you purchased and then check with NewTek to see what your supposed to get with such a bundle.

tomahack
10-01-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm in Montreal too! Never heard of these guys. I bought all my stuff from Lightworx in Toronto.

RomainR
10-01-2003, 12:42 PM
I didn't think that montreal had so many VT users.

I know 2 others in the area that use VT. That makes 5 VT users in the Montreal area. Woohoo.

User group?

Paul Lara
10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by RomainR
I know 2 others in the area that use VT. That makes 5 VT users in the Montreal area. Woohoo.

User group?

...just be sure to invite SVBELL's reseller, so you can show him where the VT MENU IS! :p

svbell
10-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Local user group sounds like an idea!
I spoke with the reseller last night, he said everything is fine. My guess is that he has just popped the CDs in the machine, run the generic install and haven't tried anything.

I think he should look closer to his products, he must even become a Toaster evangelist once the possibilities are understood!! If I was not knowing NewTek and their awesome products, I may have ended up with the DigiSuite he was suggesting me.

6 hours to go before I get the VT[3] on my desk. Wooo-hoo!!

sv

RomainR
10-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Good to hear that your dealer came to his senses.

Once you've befriended your VT[3], let's see if we can get a user's group started.

Some of tried to get a LW user's group, but that bombed big time.
Tough crowd out here. Hopefully the VT users are more passionate.

[email protected]
450-466-0777

svbell
10-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Oh no need to wait I get used to the Toaster, actually a bunch of friends from whom I can have tips one phone call away would be tremendous! :) I am a long time LW and Speed Razor user, so I guess I should be familiar with VT pretty soon

sv

OBroschart
10-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Well, I'm not in Montreal, but I'm in Canada in a nearby town called Toronto. You may have heard of it.

I am francophile, actually, francophone really.

Can I join your group?

;)

svbell
10-21-2003, 11:52 AM
...À cent milles à l'heure!
-sv

RomainR
10-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Sure you can,

We just got to get it going.

Who's up for it? Really trully up for it, cause last time when a few Montrealer's wanted to form a LightWave User group only one persone showed up at the first meeting that everyone wanted to attend and nowhere was of any convienience for meetings.

I'd be more than happy to hosts meeting at my office, I'm on the south shore, if someone has a big space they have and wants to host a get together speak up and lets get this rolling.

tomahack
10-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Count me in Romain!

svbell
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Dunno for you folks, but I would prefer a public spot for meetings, some cafe or a quiet place like that, we get there for lunch or a beer (or two). Contact me privately, I can set up a mailing list on my server for the people in the area who want to communicate with other local VT users.

sv
[email protected]

SBowie
10-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by RomainR
I didn't think that montreal had so many VT users.
Hmmm, maybe this explains something I've been wondering about for a while now.

Typical scenario, has happened repeatedly - I get a call or e-mail from someone in Montreal - and yes, it's always Montreal (et environs) - looking for VT info. I spend 90 minutes or so with the person on the phone. I patiently explain all the "in's and out's", why this CPU, that drive, motherboard, differences in RAM, OS decisions, etc., etc., and how all these things impact on the performance for a given setting.

Over a period of days, often with many e-mails, faxes, and phone calls, I help the guy narrow his decisions down to a specific rig, customized precisely to his needs. Finally, after teaching him everything he needs to know to make an intelligent purchase, I put together a quote for him, specifying the components precisely, explaining how we set the system up to be completely turnkey, and giving him a price that is very competitive. At this point, there's roughly a day of my time in the process.

Then, I never hear from him again. Not a peep.

No "Thanks, but I'm going to hold off for now," no "I bought instead from a guy down the street who really wanted me to buy a Matrox but who sold me this when I firmly insisted I wanted a NewTek system, and the information you freely provided made it all possible."

Sigh ... I'm all for dealing locally, makes a lot of sense. I'm a little more ambivalent about "dealers" who hang a NewTek sign up then try to sell you anything but (one of those recently went out of business here - awwww.....), but all that aside, I think anytime someone goes to a lot of trouble on my behalf, the least I owe him is a friendly "well, no thanks ... but thanks for all your trouble." I guess I'm just a dreamer...

RomainR
10-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Hey Steve,

Sorry to hear that many a Montréaler has made you loose time.

But there's a lot of 'em around these parts. In my 6 years living in this neck of the woods I kind of know how to recognize them.

Dear Montreal VT user's,

Let's get a group going, around a beer in a pub, around a beer at someone's VT office. Anywhere suits me just fine. It would be just cool to get together with VT brothers.