PDA

View Full Version : joints into mesh

lreyes
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I have been trying using joints instead of bones. I have done them using a null without a mesh and they seem to work okay, but when I put them in a mesh, I can not click the joints to select them to make an IK. I can only select the joint if it is outside the mesh, any solutions?

Truecoz
02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Did you try bone x-ray in the display drop down menu. If that doesn't work you can replace your mesh object with a null, set up your IK and when done replace with object an load the mesh object back in.

lreyes
02-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Will try thatTruecoz, but I might use skelegons and use IK boost as I read that a lot of posters are using IK boost.

Truecoz
03-01-2011, 01:20 AM
couple of things, with IKBooster in LW 10 (this is a bug) ... the key-frame modes are not working correctly (this is only when keys are created. Editing, sliding, and deleting keys still works fine, as they are supposed to in each mode) Child Mode is working like Parent+Child, and Current Mode is functioning like Parent Mode.

I plan on reporting this to Newtek (Fogbugz) as soon as my computer that has the scene I want to attach, is finished rendering.

I just gave a presentation at the LA Lightwave User Group Meeting and showed off some of IKBooster capabilities... a prominent artist in the VFX industry (who uses LW) told me that I'm probably one of only 3 people in the world that knows IKBooster at the current level I know it at.

I'm going to try to do a better job of posting in the Newtek Discussion forums to try and help out... especially with IKBooster. So feel free to post any questions you may have and I'll try to answer them if I can.

Truecoz
03-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't use skelegons, do all your rigging in Layout the tools for setting up bones are quite decent now. Skelegons rotation needs to be correctly aligned in modeler kind of a hassle, it's much easier to get all the proper rotation in Layout. In 9.6 there was an issue with weight-maps and skelegons not working correctly, don't know if this has been fixed.

lreyes
03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
That helps me decide, I find working bones in layout a lot easier and using Ik, but my only concern is finding a tutorial on putting IK on arms. I do not know where to put the goals and also what part of the arm uses heading, pitch etc.

RebelHill
03-01-2011, 06:30 AM
I gotta say, Ive always been a fan of skelegons... the handles are easier to align square with the grid when you want to have bones aligned perfectly with certain axis... using bone twist, etc in layout can be a lil trickier as you have to eyeball it. But the speed or ease difference isnt really much using either method.

As for setting up IK, there's LOADS of tuts on setting up a basic IK chain... but there's also the make jont chain tool in layout which'll do it for you, nice and easy.

Also, for arms, rotation order is important, so its generally better to have the heading axis aligned as the up/down movement, and the pitch be the forward to backwards movement.

Hominid 3D
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Also, for arms, rotation order is important, so its generally better to have the heading axis aligned as the up/down movement, and the pitch be the forward to backwards movement.

Donīt you loose joint-compensation in the armpit that way?

RebelHill
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM
If you use Zbones yes, but not with joints.

However, the control aspect is usually more important... if pitch becomes up/down then as soon as you lower the arms by the side (which is the most common pose) you're in gimbal lock and have no handle for swinging the arm back to front anymore. By using heading, then whatever lift you have on the arm, you can always get back to front motion properly.

speismonqui
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
...I'm probably one of only 3 people in the world that knows IKBooster at the current level I know it at.

(I just have to do it..):
can you post a little video showing a couple of IK setups? tips & tricks? :help: