PDA

View Full Version : off topic - sound cards

art
02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I know many people here are knowledgeable about music creation, tools, hardware etc. I'm looking to retire my soundblaster audigy. I'm on win 7 and the original drivers that give me access to all features no longer work and the MS' drivers are basic. I also use FL studio as my DAW but I think the latency of the card is not the best and I'm getting lots of crackling noises etc. I can fix it to some degree by increasing the buffer, but then the delay/response is usually very annoying.
Can someone recommend a decent replacement card that can be used with DAWs and as a regular sound card? I know there are external (usb?) sound cards available today. I have no experience with those but I would not mind trying one out. I am not a pro user and I don't need anything too fancy, but ideally I want something that has easily accessible inputs (via front panel if it's PCI card) for a guitar, etc, ASIO support so I can route inputs inside FL studio (or other software). My budget is about $200-$300 max. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks :)

XswampyX
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Have you tried the KX drivers?

http://kxproject.com/

The kX Audio Driver is an independent WDM (Windows Driver Model) driver for all EMU10K1 and EMU10K2-based soundcards manufactured by Creative Technology Ltd. and/or E-mu Systems Inc., including the SoundBlaster Live! series, the E-mu Audio Production Studio (APS) card, and the Audigy / Audigy2 series of cards. (Full List).

The kX Audio Driver package includes driver system files and setup files as well as a powerful audio mixer application (the kX Mixer), which acts as a Graphical User Interface, providing access to many of the driver's internal functions. The following features are either fully supported or partially supported in the latest release of the kX Audio Driver:

* Wave Recording & Playback
* MIDI Synthesizer (Soundfont-based) and MIDI UART In/Out
* DirectSound 2D and DirectSound 3D
* Full ASIO and GSIF support
* DSP Microcode Loading/Unloading
* Full AC97 codec control
* AC3 Software Decoding

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/KX.jpg

hunter
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
http://line6.com/podstudioux2/

This is what I use with Cakewalk. Thing works like a champ. Many hours on it and going strong. Recorded the whole album in my sig on it.

art
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
@XswampyX

Interesting, I will give it a try. The full mixer is one of the things missing in microsoft's driver...

meanwhile..
@hunter

It not only looks cool, but the features are very close to what I am looking for. I think I'll buy it :)

archijam
03-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Hey Art :)

I can only recommend line6 products .. have a pod for my bass guitar, best investment in a long time.

I am still trying to get my old midiman (2004) midi keyboard working with osx .. no luck so far ...

colkai
03-01-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm at the "cheap" end so I bought an MAudio Delta audioPhile 2496 which I'm quite pleased with. Got it based off reading a lot of good things about it, though chances are, you're aiming higher up the market.

crashnburn
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm using a Cakewalk UA-1G which I use purely for output as I use a Fostex FR2-LE for audio capture. The UA-1G sounds fantastic on output through my amp and speakers. But I would say look around on the internet at reviews for audio interfaces and look at ones with good pre-amps if you want to connect a guitar. There's the Line6 as already suggested which are good. There's also the Presonus Firebox if you can find one for the right money. For internal cards you could look at the M-audio 1010 which has loads of cables for connecting external sources. If you go for something with fewer inputs and outputs but good preamps you could always look at adding a mixer aswell at some point.

colkai
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Actually, speaking of inputs, that is one thing about the 2496, you can add several of them together to give yourself lots of inputs if needed. So if you want, you can start off with one card then add more as and when. Though personally, I use mine with a Behringer Xenyx 802 (http://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-xenyx-802/1077) which is enough for me. :)

crashnburn
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
M-Audio produce some really nice gear. Not too sure about Behringer though as most of their gear tends to be bad for self noise. Hows the Xenyx 802 for that colkai?

Jim_C
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I have several pieces of Behringer equipment and have yet to discover this horrible noise that people who don't actually use the gear say they have.

crashnburn
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I have used Behringer, we had to get rid of one of their larger mixers for that reason and thats why I know. I use a couple of Behringer mics aswell which are very noisy unless used to record high volume sources.

art
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Right now I'm leaning towards the line6 pod studio gear. Also, this is something I'd love to try but it is a bit pricey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4nPcGCGIs

archijam
03-02-2011, 02:17 AM
I am still trying to get my old midiman (2004) midi keyboard working with osx .. no luck so far ...

Thanks Art .. plugged in my m-audio without much thought about it, reinstalled the drivers, and it's working like a charm! I didn't realise how much i missed my pitch shift wheel :D !

Merci!

colkai
03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
M-Audio produce some really nice gear. Not too sure about Behringer though as most of their gear tends to be bad for self noise. Hows the Xenyx 802 for that colkai?

I don't have any problems with it, but fair to say, I'm no audio purist myself and since I lost hearing in my left ear many years ago, even less so. I'm just happy I can still hear to play the guitar. :)

crashnburn
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I've been doing sound effects for my girlfriend whose a drama tutor for about 6 years. When the samples are being blasted out through a large PA system in a theatre the samples have to be really clean. I nearly went for a Line6 interface myself but because it's only ended up being for output I got the UA-1G. What are the preamps like in the Line6?