PDA

View Full Version : Help with realistic coke liquid

Kunzlow
02-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi everyone, please how do i make a realistic foaming coke liquid in realflow and bringing it back to lightwave for texturing. i would really appreciate detailed tips. thank you.

bazsa73
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Just get a hispeed camera and shoot it, then you dont have to worry about annoying crappy buggy 3D software and stupid workflows.

stiff paper
02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh, hey, listen... if you haven't used RealFlow before then getting it back to LightWave is the very least of your problems.

I can't even begin to tell you how to use RF in a post in a forum... it's more... convoluted than that. (And I'm no expert anyway... All I ever do is fumble through with it.)

But. If we assume that you've got your head around RF and everything is groovy with the simulation you've done, then you'd want to export the result out as an object sequence. The last time I had to do this the NextLimit LW plugin wasn't working with the latest LW. If it is working now, then you use that plugin and set your surfaces on the reference object in LW and you're good to go.

If their plugin isn't working at the moment, then you can use LW's own object sequence import and it'll all still work just fine. Unfortunately, that would mean that you'd have to apply your surface to every single one of the objects in the object sequence. To do this you'd surface the first object in the sequence and save it. Then you'd set the Surface Editor "Edit by" setting to be "Scene" then load in, say, the next 20 objects in your sequence (there's a limit, can't remember how many), then you load in the one you've surfaced and the surface is automatically applied to the other 20. Save all objects. Do the next 20 just the same.

(If you think that's painful, I had to do that for thousands of objects, a while back.)

Oh, and I've just remembered - something doesn't work right about the surface editor's "by scene" setting nowadays and you have to change back and forth between a couple of objects to force it to transfer over the surfacing.

But really, this is all very simple compared to making RF do what you want it to do when you've never used it before.

stiff paper
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
As far as trying to learn RealFlow itself, the online help files that come with it contain tutorials that will get you started.

I haven't used it for a couple of years now, and so I'm completely rusty. The best tip I can give you about RF is that there's no point in waiting around for it all to become clear and for you to suddenly understand exactly what everything does and why it does it like that.

Oh, and if you find yourself sitting there tearing out your hair trying to work out why something that was working ten minutes ago isn't working now... try closing RealFlow and restarting it. And then it'll probably work again.

(In my opinion, if ever a piece of software needed rewriting from the ground up with a completely different approach to the entire control system, then RF is it. But hey. That's probably just me.)

lertola2
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Cardboard I have considered getting RealFlow. But your assessment makes me want to stay far away from it.

stiff paper
03-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Cardboard I have considered getting RealFlow. But your assessment makes me want to stay far away from it.
Ah, well...

The truth is that without using RF I couldn't possibly have done the liquids work I needed to do. Personally I might not like the way the original programmers thought about how to approach it, but I can't take anything away from the fact that it did things that I simply couldn't have done in any other way. And the results were good. (Blender might be capable of it now, I don't know.)

Being able to do some things really well that you can't do any other way is a very compelling reason for its existence, I have to say.

Also, if you read the RF forums, there are definitely people out there who adore working with RF, and I assume to them its approach makes perfect sense.

I guess you shouldn't read my experience and feelings about it as anything other than that, because it's possible you'll really like it.

But hey - if you spend all that money and then hate it... it's not my fault!

fgreen
03-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I haven't used RF for a couple of years either, but I seem to remember that there is an object mode export and a particle mode for export for the particles. I also seem to remember that displacement info is exported as well for the motion of the particles.

For the object mode, RF "skins" the particles to create an object that can be surfaced to look like a fluid. The only advantage I can see to using the object mode with LW is that the surface editor is probably easier to get good results with than surfacing particles with Hypervoxels. The downside is that the files are HUGE if you give the mesh enough resolution to create a high res fluid simulation. Another downside is that the objects have less flexibility in LW than particles.

Exporting / importing the particles always gave me a better render, as you can change the particle size in LW by the Hypervoxel diameter parameter.

I agree that RF with the true fluid dynamics can do much more than LW's "dumb" particles, so IMHO it is worth the learning curve, pitiful documentation, and horrifically expensive but totally worthless technical support (supposedly the reason they charge so much).

Here is an example from YouTube of a logo rising up from under the waves. Note how the splashes (an RF particle emitter) interact with the RealWave ocean surface, causing ripples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_83XE9-4Sg

I think this would be pretty hard to do with just LW particles. Anyone know of a way to get this effect with just LW?

OnlineRender
03-06-2011, 05:11 AM
I think this would be pretty hard to do with just LW particles. Anyone know of a way to get this effect with just LW?

I am pretty confident in RF just a shame I can't get on a seat . .

It's possible with LW anything and everything is , just heavy work-arounds .

remember RF is not a fluid sim , its particles in which a mesh is drawn over the top , so in turn LW can do the same , granted LW dyn are somewhat buggy and unrelable at times but again it can be done . . .

take into consideration that blender can also import fluids into LW . . .

I assume that we are talking about reconstructing the YT video in LW and not the coke issue , either way .........

there is a nice tut on water / vortex /whirlpool it was released same time as LW10 on the board somewhere it may hold some nice tips . . .

MAIN WATER BODY : several ways to achive this : you can use blender and animate the general waves then import the MDD back into LW , but for now we will stay in LW @

Create your water :Cube: make sure enough geomatry is in place so you can attach displacment maps
animating the general bump / wave should be fairly straight forward there are several methods that can resolve this issue , nodes being one .

as for the text appearing from the water clipping map and procedurals should take care of that .

for the fine water particles use Lw dyn system with HV attached . .

sorry I should break it down a little more but eating breakfast atm :rock:

Kunzlow
03-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks alot for your contribution.I was able to solve the problem without having to tear out my hair...lol. Thanks Cardboard