PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator eps loader problem

gpdesigner
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Hello all,
I am having an issue with loading vector lines into LW as poly's,
maybe I don't understand the concept but . .
I made an image in Illustrator that was vector lines . . I gave the lines a with of 3 and 4 points . . I was under the impression that I could esp import into lw and have those lines with the appointed thickness show up as polys, unfortunately I am wrong because all I am getting after the eps import is splines or curves or whatever else, but no polys.

I did choose the eps import selection of import as polys, but the loader close all of the polys and this is not what I am looking for . . .
any ideas on how I can get line polys out of this without spending another week rebuilding the object?
gp

Dexter2999
02-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Can LW import thickness of lines? I've never seen that. It imports lines as lines or closed polys as far as I know.

Maybe you can trick it with "Make Outline" in Illustrator? But something tells me probably not.

safetyman
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
You'll probably have to expand the object in Illustrator first before you save it to EPS. This way, the line "thickness" will remain intact. As for getting polys out of it, you'll have to play with the import settings to get what you want, especially try Auto Axis Drill -- that will cut the object out correctly.

JeffrySG
02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
You'll probably have to expand the object in Illustrator first before you save it to EPS. This way, the line "thickness" will remain intact. As for getting polys out of it, you'll have to play with the import settings to get what you want, especially try Auto Axis Drill -- that will cut the object out correctly.

:agree: Yes, this is what you'll have to do. Also, if you have any lines crossing over each other you might have to do some Boolean unions on the lines in illutrator AFTER you have expanded them into shapes.

Another option depending on how complex it is, would be to just use a jpg or png export of the illustrator file as a template in LW so you can retrace in in LW by hand.

prometheus
02-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Yes thatīs correctly, you can expand the line path in illustrator first, but when you import that to lightwave it will consist of several segments, the middle line path and the other boundary polys.

You can also simply use the object/path/outline stroke, that will give only the outline poly from that line path when importing in to lightwave, using closed polygons and polylines.

Michael

prometheus
02-27-2011, 01:08 PM
and for exporting text in illustrator, you should select the text and use the type/create outlines.

One thing Ivé noticed, is that if you have a closed curve wich is then outlined or expanded, you might run in to problems with it not giving correctly polys in that line shape.
Edit..that is a closed curve with mixed sharp edges and round edges, if you have a closed curve with round corners only and the outlined, that should be okay.

Im not sure if thereīs a way to create outlines to that for an exact freeze, I am getting weird poly shape that isnīt properly in the outline shape, doesnīt help to import as curves and freezing either, have to check this out if this could be easy fixed.

Michael

gpdesigner
02-28-2011, 07:57 AM

This sounds interesting . . . I think this is what I want,
I am going to give this a go right now. I tried Auto Axis Drill yesturday but aborted the process as I was running out to work, it seems AAD take a bit of time to do.
Also how does one expand lines in AI?

:agree: Yes, this is what you'll have to do. Also, if you have any lines crossing over each other you might have to do some Boolean unions on the lines in illutrator AFTER you have expanded them into shapes.

Lines crossing over each other . . not sure I know what you mean entirely . . I have lines that intersect, but they are cut off instead of crossing over the intersecting line . . . is sort of giving the effect of one eliminate passing over another . . is this what you mean?

Another option depending on how complex it is, would be to just use a jpg or png export of the illustrator file as a template in LW so you can retrace in in LW by hand.

I am trying so much to stay away from this option . . you have no idea!
This is like last resort . . . lol

@Promehteus,
Once I get as far as the actual import, I will keep an eye out for the segmentation . .
gp
gp

gpdesigner
02-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Bingo . . . . expanding worked like a charm . . .
I tested it on a quickie design just now to see if it would work and . .
It's a thing of beauty . . .
I figured out the Expand command, it was easy enough, I just had to look for it..
I havent run into the segmentation issue but will look out for it when I export the real design . . .
Thanks for the help Gentlemen.
gp