PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I'm in a ghost town

mattclary
02-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Some of you lurkers should say something...

Skonk
02-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I always say something :)

Hmm maybe i say too much?

James..

lone
02-28-2003, 04:59 PM
i think some folks are just going to need time to adjust.

hrgiger
02-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Did I miss something? Adjust to what?

And SpankDaddy, you definately say too much!:p

PHilly[Dee]
02-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
I always say something :)

Hmm maybe i say too much?

James..

ha ha, spankdaddy, you've got 300+ posts to your name:D

cheers...

PS: who do you think will claim the worthington cup?

Beamtracer
02-28-2003, 09:26 PM
There are a lot of lurkers. It's interesting to see from the vBulletin stats that sometimes a third to a half of all people reading these threads are people who haven't registered their names and therefore can't post messages. They just lurk!

hrgiger
02-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Did I miss something? Adjust to what?

Here I am quoting myself now...:rolleyes:

Ah, the new forums and the lurker abouts. I thought maybe I had missed something important...

brtk
02-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Yess I´m missing the old forums too. I started to lurk there in 1999 and no one could see me... just reading and learning - not asking questions bout how to make a box or run a plugin;). Here it´s all different you can see how many registered users there are who is online and what they are doing. But most of everything those little icons with a tree, sky and sun where are those...:D

Skonk
03-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Theres no more lurkers on here then there were on the old forum, its just that on this forum u can see them :)

James..

Lynx3d
03-01-2003, 08:46 AM
hehe i think so too...
actually i rarely posted in the old forums, just read them every once in a while. There are just too many good forums out there...arg! :)

riki
03-01-2003, 08:57 AM
mmmm there's a lot of good stuff in these forums, but I think some people are posting just to get their hit count up.

Max Wolf
03-01-2003, 12:10 PM
::run in being chased a tumble weed::
ahhhhh help me.... i am being chased by this thing for 2 tread so far.....
::runs out::

Lynx3d
03-01-2003, 12:32 PM
*lol*
We didn't ask fpr evidence did we? :)

oh, there comes another tumble weed *runs*

Digital_red
03-01-2003, 08:57 PM
“Feel like I'm in a ghost town”

If you’re in the ghost town then I must be the local poltergeist. I’m the one who moves things around when no ones watching.

Echo…………Echo

JDaniel
03-02-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't see any reason to display each members stats and to give a title to a member based on posts. I think this keeps some people away. Besides, if you were a long term member at the old forum, now you're a "newbie". I had a feeling it would breed negative feelings. :(

Cman
03-02-2003, 12:36 AM
dooky! :p

*sneaks off* :D

DigiLusionist
03-02-2003, 01:30 AM
It also breeds post-whoredom.

Beamtracer
03-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by JDaniel
Besides, if you were a long term member at the old forum, now you're a "newbie". I had a feeling it would breed negative feelings. :(

You don't have to be a "newbie" if you don't want to. Just go into your user control panel and change it to whatever you want. You can be "senior member" if it makes you feel better!

I hope people aren't posting crap just to get their hit-counts up so they won't be "newbies".

Simon
03-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Oh I didn't notice you could change that :D

Lynx3d
03-02-2003, 07:48 AM
D'oh...should be readink page 2 too :)

Guess i'll give myself a funny title if i have an idea... :D

Epita
03-02-2003, 09:26 AM
What, i never post to get my hit count up, never i tell you...

Epita

Cman
03-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Posting crap!? Would someone do such a thing?
How shameful!

dooky! :p

Beamtracer
03-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Ha ha! Since I posted that, everyone is now changing their titles from Newbie Member to something else!

Epita
03-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I wanted to do it before you, i will change it NEVER i tell you, or try to beat people to 100 or something stupid like that... TUMBLE WEED attack argh run for your life!

Epita...pita...ita...ta...aa...

Max Wolf
03-03-2003, 03:08 PM
i do not think it is a gost town any more 2 page so far

JDaniel
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks Beam. I didn't see that before. I just don't like heirarchal titles in a community forum.

DEMOCRACY YES
DICTATORSHIP NO

Beamtracer
03-04-2003, 05:12 AM
Hey, look... there ain't any newbies around here any more. He he he!!! :D

Epita
03-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, most people who are noticable are not newbies anymore, or have changed their name to say so!

Epita

colkai
03-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Ok, color me dumb, where is the setting to change my "newbie" status in the user CP? Nothing obvious that I acn see.
Granted, it's been a looong day ;)

colkai
03-04-2003, 01:45 PM
ok...go fish!
I went to the FAQ, then to my User CP from there - and there it was! - <shrugs> Told ya it was a long day :rolleyes:

JDaniel
03-04-2003, 04:40 PM
I would like to see registration date displayed when we registered our first LW version.
(User since 5.5):cool:

Freak
03-04-2003, 05:52 PM
I think the problem is from a few reasons.

A: Newteks servers are WAY too slow for Vbulletin...

B: You have to log in just to see a picture or attachment

C: There are already at least two other VB forums that have been up and running longer than this one. (All with the same people)

D: I have SOOOO many problems logging in to NT's VB
it's beyond a joke, i need to enter my name and password
like 5 times before it actually posts my message...
It enters me into a loop of asking for my name and password
and telling me it can't follow the thread. (No such problem
with other VB forums)

E: Lux / NT, No 7.5b, Lscript 2.6 or Linux Render Node.
People are beginning to wander. Nothing new to see here.

Can't say i'm really surprised by the Ghost Town......

Beamtracer
03-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Freak, maybe it's the browser you use that is causing your problems. I'd recommend ditching the Internet Exploiter and using something else. Also, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people posting on this new forum compared to the old one. Hardly a ghost town.

DigiLusionist
03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
This site requires that your browser accept cookies in order for you not to have to log in every two clicks.

Freak
03-05-2003, 03:06 AM
I disagree Beam....

I can't see any evidence of more posts here...
In fact, it does seem like a Ghost Town... hence the reason for this thread.

In fact even CGTalk, seems to of slowed down over the last few months.. It's a quiet time generally in all things CG at the moment. No new Maya or Max, or LW..... just a couple of plugin releases. It's just slow everywhere. People are more interested in bombing oil bearing countries or something..

NT have not even posted a tutorial on their site this year!
It seems everyone has lost interest. And the community usually follows the company..

Even the other forums have slowed! (even LW newsgroups)
I like to think it's because everyone is very busy... :)
(but that might just be wishful thinking. )

PS... It's not Internet Explorer.... (if you can't make it work with IE6, you need to recode it) besides it doesn't worry me to much..
All the other VB forums work fine. Once i post a few messages, it works no probs.. It's just the initial few tries.... Not really a biggy.
seems to ignore it's own cookie, it usually places two or three before it decides it likes one... (actually No... It wants me to login again now..... So i have to cut and paste this message)

Freak
03-05-2003, 03:16 AM
Yeah... Digluisionist.....

I'm not a total idiot.... (73.4% idiot actually)
CGTalk has no such problems, using it the exact same way....

Funnily enough...... previewing messages, failes a lot more than
submitting messages....

If i hit preview, 3 out of 4 times it says it can't find the thread....
If i just hit submit, it works 2 out of 5 times.. Bizzare....

Dunno......
It seems to remember my cookie, when it wants too....

Now will it work? Yes! this time it let me preview! WooHoo.....

Cheers All...

:)

mattclary
03-05-2003, 06:52 AM
The reason I felt I was in a ghost town was, last Friday afternoon, there was no activity on the board. Over all, no, these boards do NOT seem like they are a ghost town. Freak, I don't have any problems with this board, as I doubt many others do; It's your machine, not the boards.

pixelmonk
03-05-2003, 07:29 AM
I love this board.

mattclary
03-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Ditto, it's a lot faster for me than the old ones. I'm assuming they have better hardware for it...

pixelmonk
03-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
Ditto, it's a lot faster for me than the old ones. I'm assuming they have better hardware for it...

The word from the conspiracy front is they pulled the L[8] development machines from both Newtek and Luxology, deleted Linux, and installed NT 4 just to run Vbulletin.

:D

mattclary
03-05-2003, 12:07 PM
LMAO! :D

Woooo Hoooooo!!! This is my 100th post, guess I get to be a "member" now.

...hehehehe...hehehehe... I said, "member"...

Lynx3d
03-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pixelmonk
The word from the conspiracy front is they pulled the L[8] development machines from both Newtek and Luxology, deleted Linux, and installed NT 4 just to run Vbulletin.

:D

*lol* NT 4...
I hope they didn't do that, i'm really waiting to replace my 6.5 with LW8... :D

Anyway, didn't really like the old forums, although it wasn't slower than the new ones for me...

mattclary
03-05-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm also sticking with 6.5 until 8 comes out. Since it's only a hobby for me, and I'll probably never make a dime using LW, just can't justify hitting every single upgrade. :(

Luckily I have a wonderful wife who let me drop a grand on a toy. :)

colkai
03-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Matt,
Right there with ya!
I use LW for fun, my wife is very understanding of my toys. She even turns a blind eye to my spending on videos and books for LW.
:eek:

My day job takes that much out of me that I can't put the time in on LW that I'd like to. That plus the fact most of my weekends are normally devoted to more important things - like working at a Bird of prey rescue centre.:p

Epita
03-05-2003, 04:23 PM
3/4 pages this is not a ghost town. Although sometimes it can get a bit slow, this place has 3k members so its not like no one is here,
This board works fine for me, so i guess its just u having a frilled copy of IE or something like that.

Epita

Freak
03-05-2003, 04:56 PM
I have the same problem with all our machines, and my home machine too (if it's just me cool) But i have spoken to a few people, who just can't be bothered with the speed issue on here.

VBulletin is WAY slower, it's providing way more information and avatars though, so it's not a surprise. The old boards were great..

The good thing is, I don't get the server is busy message like on CGtalk, but that's likely because it's not busy... ;)

The amount of CG traffic in general has slowed.... Mail, Newsgroups and forums have had a noticable slowdown in posts,
games news, technology in general..... Not even a good movie due until Matrix II...

Adobe have not even released Photoshop 46 or AfterFX 8..

The only thing on TV is a madman (Bush), trying to make people forget about the economy, by blowing up the other madman (Blair) whoops i mean Saddam Bin Laden.... :)

It's okay we can make our own traffic with useless posts like this one.... :)

The same threads are still here day after day...
It's pretty sad when you were the last person to post 24 hours before.. It's a Ghost Town IMO.....

Not that their is anything wrong with that!
I like poltergeists.. :)

Freak
03-05-2003, 05:18 PM
colkai:

What kind of bird is in your avatar?

It's freaky cool!

The Eyes!

I have just been shooting Brown Falcons with Canon XL-1's
(it's not easy to do..... even with a super zoomed lens)

Trying to climb 30 metre high pine tree's (with very few branches to hang on) to get close enough with a shoulder mounted
XL-1 is becoming a very big pain....

Trying to get down without falling on my head is even harder...

Beamtracer
03-06-2003, 12:06 AM
You could start a new off topic thread and that'll start everyone posting. Remember the "Politics" thread from the old forum. People kept saying they hated it, but they kept posting and it turned into one of the longest threads in history. Then again, another Luxology thread may have the same effect :)

Freak
03-06-2003, 01:17 AM
Heheh....
That would be asking for trouble.... (hmmmmmm)

It seems you can't even voice your opinion here, without lots of people getting a little bit angry, apparently forums such as this require everyone to have the exact same ideas and philosophies.

Bringing religion and politics into the equation, on these boards would be like being a jew in islam. (i.e stupid)

Okay i won't start another thread..... But here's my opinion on WAR: (And watch the sparks fly) ;) (besides i'm downloading)

Warning Long, Boring Rant, and is only my opinion....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) Bush is trying to get revenge for his fathers failures...
(he'd love to sit around the thanksgiving table and say, "but dad you never nailed Saddam, like it did")

B)It's so much easier to talk about how great America is, when pictures of Stealth Bombers are bombing middle eastern countries, and Bush raising his fist and telling us how our brave those troops are bring that warm patriotic feeling....

C) If you were president, would you rather talk about America whopping ***, or how crap the economy is going?

D)Defence spending, stimulates the corprorate sector (Boeing, Raytheon, Microsoft etc, etc) and helps the economy grow.

E) The fastest way to get the media off your back, about the economy, is to move them all to bagdhad and let them have an exclusive... No more questions on Money, Greenspan, or Fraud and Corporate blunders leading to FBI arrests..

F) OIL, OIL, OIL....... 54% of the worlds oil in fact!

G)When it comes to re-election, and the media do ask why the economy is in the toilet..... you can answer....."But we have been at war"

H) Why do other countries, follow the US? Because they all want to be like Mike.... :) And saying no to the USA, is like
shooting your trade chances to ****... (blackmail)
Besides, once they leave their own country, they do book tours at US universities and get paid large appearance fee's... to give speeches...

I) Saddam, is a dictator and should be stopped, but not for the wrong reasons. (like we have now)

E) It's easy to beat up a guy, who has puny defences, and who you make destroy more missiles everyday...... (But let's all shutup when another nuclear country that does not have any oil, Nth Korea, and has already broken treaties.... (Stunned Silence)

F) How come France, India, North Korea and the USA are all allowed to have stupid dictators with weapons of mass destruction, but one's that are too weak to actually use them are not?

E) Who invented chemical, and Nuke Weapons in the first place, and who sells them all the parts and who actually uses them first?
(Hint: It starts with U and ends with SA)

F) The Media are weak, worthless, spineless....
they never ask the correct questions, and these days give advanced questions to politicians, who refuse to answer the ones they don't want to, and leave spin doctors to answer the rest... (why bother?)

G)Contantly amazed at how American press can ask why middle eastern people would want to fly planes into large
buildings. (gee i can't even begin to wonder) And current actions are going to help this how?

H) Pre-Emptive strikes = Yes let's start convicting people before they commit crimes...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, well i did miss a few rather important arguments, but you get the drift.... (My download's done, and my fingers are sore, from typing so fast)

No i'm not Anti-American..... I love LW, The simpsons..... etc, etc..
But i dislike world leaders (cough, weak followers)
Let the games begin!

Beamtracer
03-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Media companies often have an inappropriate relationship with governments. When you listen to the news or read the paper, you should ask: does the media company that prints this paper "donate" money to the political party in government? It happens in many countries.

I always believe criticism is a healthy thing, and not unpartriotic. In fact, it is the duty of all media companies to be critical of the government that is in power, whether it be left-wing, right-wing or whatever. Most news organizations are afraid to do this.

A healthy democracy should welcome differing viewpoints, and not try to silence them.

colkai
03-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi Freak,
It's probably one of the most bad-tempered hawks you could imagine!
It's a ferruginous hawk (named for the rust brown colouring on its back). They are spectacularly bad tempered, even experienced falconers can have trouble with them. This ones name is Bodie, he (she .. some question there), is currently working up in Scotland with a falconer to try and get some aggression out by natural hunting.
I just love his whole "you lookin' at me?" demeanor :) Know what you mean about his eyes though! I've put some pictures up for you at:
http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/bodie1.jpg
http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/bodie2.jpg
http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/bodie3.jpg

I'm currently working a Harris Hawk named Ttigger, a much nicer bird, just right for a trainee. One day I'm gonna build up the courage to try and model, at least, a hawks head..(one day).

-Colkai

Freak
03-06-2003, 04:16 PM
ColKai:

I have been taking some awesome footage of falcons
"dogfighting" like WWII planes.... simply spectacular stuff..
Brown falcons, are much smaller, but i just love to watch them fly.
Wizzing through the tree's like X-wings and tie fighters. :)

We have birds call currawongs (pied currawongs) that attack the falcons in large packs, (likely because the falcons eat their young i'm guessing) But the currawongs, just can't fly at the same speeds, or with the same precision... They make the curra's look stupid really.... Altitude changes, turns and maneuvers (sp?)
is really exceptional to watch...

Thanks for the info and pics...... Awesome looking bird..
I'm going to start modeling one very soon....

BEAM: Yeah.... you are correct i'm starting to dislike the media
more than politicians. It's a constant game of blackmail,
If media owners like Murdoch for eg, don't give to the political parties or show them in a good light, they get screwed on taxes and media ownership laws etc... The media could be a good thing, but it's not, and it's not getting used how it should be...

We don't live in a democratic world, (or forum it seems)
it's just a myth, to make people feel like they have some power..

The whole world sucks, can't wait for the next big bang, to wipe out the virus that is humankind. ;)

Osama's ideas are just as flawed and stupid as he is....... But he's no worse than Bush, Blair or Howard, Or the world that supports them. Well that's my rant done...... thankfully, Formula 1 is on today, so i don't have to hear more lies from the media or politicians. Just the sound of V10's roaring.... :)

Max Wolf
03-07-2003, 09:14 AM
why does the tv say stuff like top secret war planes at 10:00

what up with that?

pixelmonk
03-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Max Wolf
why does the tv say stuff like top secret war planes at 10:00

what up with that?

Media sensationalism. Anything to boost its ratings.