PDA

View Full Version : GIF and LW

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
how can i import an animated GIF into lightwave?
i tryed and it told me that the sertain format isnt supported.
or is there another way to ger an animated image into LW?

thanks

cresshead
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
import png, gif isn't full rgb values so it's not gonna happen!

jeric_synergy
02-26-2011, 12:28 PM
how can i import an animated GIF into lightwave?
Not directly, no.

IMO the best bet is to break it up using whatever tool you prefer (Pshop or Imageready is what I'd use, maybe AE), then import as an image sequence.

If you "google "breaking up animated gifs" you'll find plenty of links.

Ryan Roye
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
The quick and dirty way of doing this is to make the gif into an AVI file if the program you're using supports that. Note that you will have to select to view "All files" when choosing the file.

I don't know if this applies to other animated 2d texture elements, but you will likely want to make a placeholder texture so that you aren't forced to disable textures for a snappier layout. Of course, whether you have to do that depends on the speed of your computer.

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
thanks for the tips and links guys :)
much apreaciated

jeric_synergy
02-26-2011, 01:31 PM
BTW any animated format is going to be screwy if you have things like differing frame rates and whatnot. I avoid 'em in favor of image sequences.

Cloak&Dagger
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
i was recently experimenting with .gif's and .avi's and came to the conclusion that they are terrible to work with! Great for what they are meant for but not much fun when it came to using them as textures.

I managed to get what i was looking for (3 seperatly animated textures on one uv'd model) with a node set up. It gave me far greater control over each of the animated textures.