PDA

View Full Version : Apply Dynamics changes to multiple objects in Layout

GarrettG
02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a scene with several hundred blocks, all from the same model. I need to be able to easily change the dynamics on all of them, without having to go through and add one at a time. The placement of the blocks is important, so I can't just delete all of them but one, apply the dynamics to that one, then clone it out unless I can do so while preserving the original positions.

What I've tried doing:

Selecting all of the objects, then editing the dynamics from the object properties panel. Inside the object properties panel, properties could only be changed for one object at a time.
Looked around in the Scene editor, but it turns out you can't edit dynamics from there.
In the graph editor, I selected all of the properties and saved them in an envelope. Then, I removed all of the blocks but one, applied the dynamic and cloned it out. Then I went back into the graph editor, selected all of the properties and told it to replace the properties with the ones from the envelope. However, I could see no way to replace all of the properties with all of the ones in the envelope. Only the property I right-clicked ended up being replaced.
Selected all of the blocks and tried saving them as a motion path, then followed the process above. Only one of the blocks positioning appeared to be saving.

If there's anything I've overlooked, or a handy plugin to make this possible, please let me know!

nickdigital
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
If the dynamic simulation is the same on all the objects you could bake out the simulation and then just apply that to all your objects. Then if you need to change the dynamics you just need to redo the simulation on the one object.

Or put all your objects into one object. Since the current placement of the objects are important you could use a lscript like this to collapse all the objects into a single model.
http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm

GarrettG
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I assume you meant the Creategroup plugin? When I use that, I'm able to group together all of the objects and apply the dynamic, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Also, thanks for the link to the plugins. Several of the scripts on that page I can use in some of my other projects.

Also, the dynamic effect properties are the same for each block, but the motion won't be uniform. Would the motion baking still work, and if so, could you link me to a guide? I'm unfamiliar to baking.

nickdigital
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
If the dynamics settings are all the same but the resulting motion after simulation is different then baking one motion to be used by all won't work.

I would still suggest putting as many objects into one layer and then applying your dynamics to that. If you can't fit all the objects into one layer then you could split it up into groups. This way there's less instances of dynamics to update.

As for the CreateGroup plug-in I can't remember what that does. If it's the one that I'm thinking of I think it just groups a selection under a null. That's not going to help you.

GarrettG
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I need to be able to individually manipulate the objects. If I were to load them all into the same layer, would that be possible? Also, how would I be able to combine them all into one layer?

Thanks again for the help.

nickdigital
02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I need to be able to individually manipulate the objects if I were to load them all into the same layer?

I can't tell if this was meant to be a statement or an oddly worded question. If you have all your objects in the one layer you can still move them around but you'd be doing it in Modeler. The dynamics that you apply to this one layer will apply to all your objects as a whole. From my point of view, your problem sounds like you have a bunch of individual lwo files that are using all the same dynamics settings. If that's the case then collapsing all those lwo files into one lwo file will make managing what you're doing easier.

However if all your lwo files have slightly different dynamics settings then you're stuck with your current setup. For example, there's no way to select all your lwo files and update them all to be using the same gravity setting. It'd be nice but there's no way to do it as far as I know.

Also, how would I be able to combine them all into one layer?

It sounds like you've placed your objects in Layout. So your model is modeled at the origin and you've placed it into position in Layout. If that's the case Svenart's Scene2Modeler lscript should do what you want. What's it's basically doing is doing a large save transformed operation on everything.

GarrettG
02-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry about that question. I was typing from my phone and was apparently unable to piece together a coherent sentence, lol. I've since corrected the post.

To clarify, I only have one .lwo file, cloned out a hundred times throughout the scene. I'll post a screenshot of my setup once I get home. That last suggestion seems to be what I need.

nickdigital
02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
To clarify, I only have one .lwo file, cloned out a hundred times throughout the scene. I'll post a screenshot of my setup once I get home. That last suggestion seems to be what I need.

Yeah, try to collapse what you can into a single or just a few lwo files. It should make things much more manageable. Hopefully that doesn't change how your dynamics behave too much compared to your initial setup.

GarrettG
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Alright, I've used Scene2Modeler to group all of the boxes into a single object file. I was able to easily add the dynamics, but now it's taking about 30 minutes to calculate each frame. Each box has been broken up using MGBreakup and consists of about 4k polys, and there are about 100 of them in the scene. Is there any trick to speed up the calculation(I'm having a meteor smash into the blocks), or should I just remodel the box with a lower quality/fewer polys?

jeric_synergy
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Geeze, you just changed the scenario from "hundreds of blocks" to "100'sX4K". It's going to be slow.

nickdigital
02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Alright, I've used Scene2Modeler to group all of the boxes into a single object file. I was able to easily add the dynamics, but now it's taking about 30 minutes to calculate each frame. Each box has been broken up using MGBreakup and consists of about 4k polys, and there are about 100 of them in the scene. Is there any trick to speed up the calculation(I'm having a meteor smash into the blocks), or should I just remodel the box with a lower quality/fewer polys?

Yikes, that's a lot of polys.

Do you have all 100 boxes in one file? What if you make 4 files with 25 boxes? Or 5 with 20. Keep reducing down until you get a good compromise between performance and scene management.

Do you really need that many polys per box?

How is the shot laid out? If there are boxes far away from camera, can you get away with even less polys for those?

GarrettG
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Here's a screenshot of the blocks from modeler. It's a project for school; an animated introduction.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3864941/greenwood_studio.png

I've reduced the quality down to ~300 polys per block and it's working great now. Thanks for all the help!