PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX and MDD

bpritchard
02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue getting dynamic fiberFX hair working on an MDD'ed mesh. Basically (and as noted in other threads) the hair doesn't move w/the character. I've tried the whole editFX trick where you select a point on the head, make motion, and parent the hair guides to that null but the parenting doesn't match up.

The hair matches the heads location obviously, but when i make that null i pick say a point on the scalp with which to follow and parent to that it creates an offset.

Is there anyway to create a motion path that the hair can follow and match up to?

I've also tried the bones route... brought in my rig for maya and looked to set it up that way but again the hair doesn't match up w/the head. It parents at some even more strange offset...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Bryan

bpritchard
02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey Everyone,

Looks like i've got the problem solved. MDD's and FiberFX just don't play at all together. I couldn't get any of the point info nodes to do exactly what i needed (they worked but everything was kinda offset or just off for some reason).

So the EASIEST thing to do (imo) is to create a simple object in your source app that contains the animation... in my case i just created a cube. I'm in maya so i was able to point and orient constrain it to the head bone. There's a trick here tho'... make sure your point constraints are NOT set to maintain offsets but your Orient constraint IS. Otherwise the rotation order gets a little wonky in lightwave.

So from there cook the data to ur object... delete the constraints off it... export using fbx... load up into maya and boom u can parent away to it. I turned off parent in place since i wanted the exact position/orientation from the cube to be applied.

This seemed to solve it for me.. i'm getting good results using guides/cloth now (albeit a little rubbery)...

Cheers
Bryan

Dodgy
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I can get them to play perfectly well with each other. You must be doing something wrong. Do you mind me looking at your scene?

bpritchard
02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Heya Dodgy,

Thats highly likely. ;) Gimme a little bit and i can send u a scene to check out...