PDA

View Full Version : Traditional animation story reel

jeric_synergy
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I found this GREAT story reel that a talented young animator did for the big number in "Wicked" -- it's just great:

http://vimeo.com/19733014

Look at the blocking: the "jedi" reach for the broom, knocking the soldiers around, and the leap to the broom in mid-flight..... really superior stuff.

Well done, Ms. Gilbert. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

BigHache
02-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Well that was fun and well done. It would be cool to see even just that scene produced.

jeric_synergy
02-26-2011, 12:32 PM
What I liked was: the stage setting for that number, even though it's the big "elevator" scene, and quite spectacular for stage work, is still rather static.

The blocking this animator came up with was great use of the medium, incredibly dynamic. The individual shot of the spears shooting straight up was a VERY nice grace note.

I think I'd prefer an animated version of "Wicked" to a live action version. It's got some adult themes that might need to be tweaked a bit.

BigHache
02-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah it just had a (American ala Disney) classic animation feel to it. Would be great to see in glorious 2D. No one seems to care about 2D though. <sigh>

Dexter2999
02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I think Disney could have done great things with this one. Too bad Universal owns the rights.

I was talking about this with my boss last night at work. I believe bottom line, Disney could have made this much more profitable (and at less cost) than a live action version. The type of stuff depicted in the animation can still be pulled off live action, it will just cost a lot more to do it. Childrens movies make much bank, due to the fact that ticket sales tend to be in blocks of 3-5, as parents take a child or children. Then factor in on top of that, that there is a built in audience from the musical...CHA CHING!

As it is, live action musicals are really hit and miss and miss and miss.

Yep, too bad.