PDA

View Full Version : Help with baking faster....

GraphXs
02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
:help:I've been baking maps in LW for real-time games. The sizes are usually 1024 or 2048. The Issues I have is the rendering is not consistent with times.

I've been using GI: FG, 3 bounces, (1 seems to be faster) 64 or 128 for 1st, and 64 or 32 for second. MiPix is 2 Max is 100 GI res is 50%

The Walls for the rooms baking is fast, I'm also using TrueArts Batch Baking Camera. The Objects (the stuff in the room) takes forever to render on some rooms? I'm not really using any fancy materials. Some Normal Maps, some to little reflection, bump, area lights, points, Sky Light.

I'm just confused on why some rooms objects take just a few minutes (same lighting setup, similar materials) Other rooms take Hours??? Is it a memory leak? It does seem to be with the GI being the issue.

Anybody have any in site on why that would be? Maybe my setting can be improved?

From a normal camera it renders fast! (I understand that it's only rendering what it sees and not all parts to the geo like a baking camera, but hours! On the farm it just got stuck at 90% for two of the maps and that was hours later. :eek:

adk
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I know that feeling.

Using the standard LW Cam Baker as well as TrueArts Batch Baking Camera I ran into similar problems as you GraphXs. Tho who can say if it's 100% the same. My problem was bad UV's - usually to do with overlapping.

Unfortunately LW does not show UV overlaps, or I simply don't know how to see them :). In the end I used Modo to clean up some of the UV's & presto ... my oven is back to full speed.

I suggest you try a simple test with the problematic baking layer. Check for UV overlaps, re-UV it if need be, & see if that works for you.

PS: There's still an issue with padding on both those cameras that's been FBugz'd numerous times so fingers crossed it gets sorted soon.

Sensei
02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Other rooms take Hours???

Time to buy new machine.. :p

If object bakes fast with GI off, and hours with GI on, I would blame GI..
You didn't say anything about used Minimum Pixel Spacing/Max and angle tolerance..

At what stage it's taking so much time?
GI calculation, or final render? Perhaps with AA?
Tried replacing AA by higher resolution then rescaling in Photoshop?

I would try without interpolation first.

It's late, and after 5 beers mine brain is not working at full operational, but I have feeling that in baking cameras all GI samples are accepted, that's it- between camera ray direction normal and surface normal, there is calculated dot product, which is giving angle between them. But it's always giving angles meeting threshold (close or equal to pointing straight reverse directions)..

Is it a memory leak?

Leak would be clearly visible in Task Manager, after finishing render..

adk
02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah GI settings would play a big part but what I think GraphXs means is the huge difference in rendering time between similar objects in the same scene.

In a similar situation recently I had what was effectively a whole house interior bake in a matter of minutes while a simple object within it was taking hours (no fancy materials nor effects on either). In that case the issue was simply bad UV's & had nothing to do with GI settings.

And I wasn't being negative about your Batch Baking Camera btw. It rocks & has saved me countless hours of what would otherwise be mundane clicking. Highly recommend it to anyone that does a lot of baking :thumbsup:

Danner
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
yeah baking is very sensitive to overlapping UVs, I've also had a scene that would not bake in final gather and had to switch to montecarlo.

You said you have reflections. you should NOT have reflections while baking, add those once it's baked.

Another trick I learned in this forum is to use little or NO antialias, let adaptive sampling take care of it, I was skeptical, but it works!

GraphXs
02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I wish it was overlapping polys. I use the Atlas unwrapping so I won't get any overlapping. I will try some more test to see I can speed it up....and now I wait. :(

adk
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
... I use the Atlas unwrapping so I won't get any overlapping... Not necessary the case. If you don't have a clean model atlas can in fact overlap UV's. I had a problematic model (from sketchup) that always produces UV overlaps via atlas mode in LW & modo alike.Produces exactly the same UV in fact. The only difference is that in modo these get highlighted for easy visibility & cleanup. Make sure your model is clean and uv by hand if you need to.