PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Death (aka: stop error)

oliversimonnet
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey people.
i have had my new pc since july, and the bluescreen error has apeared quite a few times now, so i desiced to reinstall windows. hoping it would fix it.
but guess what.. it just apeared again haha pff i dunno what to do.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

JonW
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Take the HD out & attach it as a second HD to another computer & copy all your files before you do anything else. Unless you have backup.

danielkaiser
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Take a look at your event viewer, it should tell you if you have any hardware or software errors.

MiniFireDragon
02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
what is the error ID? Do a google search on it.

probiner
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Had that, restored the system from an image backup and still got the error. Noted down the problem ID, but it didn't helped me much to be honest after searching alot out there. Many ppl said it was HDD realated and that it probably should be trashed.

Then, just for kicks, restored the Master Boot Reccord and it was fine again... I called it a silly storm...

But yeah, check the Problem ID first :P

meatycheesyboy
02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
memtest your RAM for 24 hours. I find that most stop errors are due to faulty memory.

calilifestyle
02-24-2011, 06:00 PM
RAM, yes bad ram. when it starts up does it make a crying noise. I've noticed that it was blue screening when i had one stick of faulty ram.

oliversimonnet
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
@JonW:

@danielkaiser:
how do i get to the event viewer? thanks

@MiniFireDragon:
I dont know :S thanks

@probiner:
So i may need to trash my HD?
were can i find the "restored the Master Boot Reccord" thanks

@meatycheesyboy:
how i do i "memtest" my Ram not 100% on waht that is :) thanks

@calilifestyle:
no its fine when it starts up. my computer acts asif it was normal the blue screen error just spontaniousely apeares :S

@every one: (hehe)
sorry for my lack of knolage guys, i feel like i dont know computers at all rite now haha.
Also sorry for my bad grama :)

thanks again guys

Amurrell
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Do not trash your HD. The most common culprit for the BSOD now a days is mostly hardware related and that hardware being memory. You may have a bad module, in which case when the bad area is being addressed it causes a fault. Memtest usually can pick out errors in the first set of tests if you let them run through to completion. If it is memory related, then you will have to test individual modules to narrow it down (even though memtest tells you the channel the error occurred) and take the good modules and test each channel on your board (if your motherboard isn't too picky about memory location, which mine isn't). Then you will just have to replace the bad memory module if it is at fault, but if the motherboard is at fault, then you have to replace that.

The next thing that could be at fault is the vid card, or the drivers for the vid card. I have seen problems resolved by updating drivers as well.

My bet though, is the memory. Check that first, as software doesn't really cause the BSOD as it did in days of old, and the most common error for hard drives would be corrupted files and bad sectors, which would not cause the BSOD but will cause major hangs, the inability to mount the drive and eventual loss of data.

meatycheesyboy
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
@meatycheesyboy:
how i do i "memtest" my Ram not 100% on waht that is :) thanks

Sorry, I should have provided more info. Memtest86+ is a program that is widely used to test RAM. You need to download an iso of it form here: http://www.memtest.org/ and create a bootable CD with it. Then boot to that CD and run the full test for as long as you can (within reason). A lot of people run it for between 12-24 hours but Amurrell may be right, it may pick up errors on in only the first few passes.

probiner
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
@probiner:
So i may need to trash my HD?
were can i find the "restored the Master Boot Reccord" thanks

By no means my message was in that direction.
In my case it was a startup issue, in yours, you can startup and then you have the issue right? (Also i was refering to a backup)

Anyway, what Amurrell said. :)

oliversimonnet
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
@meatycheesyboy:
aah ok :) thanks for the link il get cracking on that in the morning.

@probiner:
Aah ok sorry for the misunderstanding.

@Amurrell:
thank you for all that info Amurrell hopefully it is only a minor issue, but knowing my luck (which for some reason is always bad haha) il wont be

Also... i don't know if this is relevant but il add it in anyway.
About a month or two after i got my Desktop (from Cyberpowers UK) i booted up my PC one morning and nothing the light came on and a beep went as it does but then nothing just the fans going. i tryed to fix it for a few days on my own but go no ware, so i called cyberpowers and they came and picked it up replaced all the parts (as far as i understand) apart from the HD which i kept due to the fact that i had not backed up my work. and then they sent it back, and it worked again.

A moth or so after that is when the blue screen error started appearing.
again not sure if that is relevant sorry if its not but just in case.

crashnburn
02-25-2011, 08:16 AM
There's no saying they exchanged the RAM. It's possible that the two events weren't related and you still have a faulty RAM stick.

oliversimonnet
02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
hmm true, when i sent it of they thought it was a mother board problem.
ok well you guys have given me loads of info and tips hehe :)
I think il start with takeing one stik out and running it for a while one stic at a time and see if i still get it :)
and then il get back to you guys :)

thanks again guys

P.S. i have to be honest i have a hade a few problems with this PC since July.

danielkaiser
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Event viewer in in Control Panel > Administrative Tools >

MiniFireDragon
02-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Oliversimonnet - If you are getting a BSOD there is a stop code that starts with 0x. And there is usually a group of them. If there isn't a stop code then you may be looking at a virus screen. Get combofix from bleepingcomputer.com

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 06:41 AM
ok been a day on -1 stick of RAM, so far so good. lets see how the next few days go :)

Event viewer in in Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
it all looks fine in the event viewer.

Oliversimonnet - If you are getting a BSOD there is a stop code that starts with 0x. And there is usually a group of them. If there isn't a stop code then you may be looking at a virus screen. Get combofix from bleepingcomputer.com
were can i find "stop code's"?
or do they appear in error messages.
sorry for my lack of knowledge hehe.

(is combofix an antivirus?)

btw this may also be relevant, it hasn't happened in the past few days but its happened ALOT every since i got my PC back from cyberpowers (when i sent it for repairs)

sometimes when i boot up and i get to the log in screen, ill put my password in, click enter and the screen will go blue, not BSOD blue. i call it "windows blue" lol its a kinda light blue wich looks like it has white in it as well. and to log in i have to restart my PC again from the button. (i can still se my mouse when the screen goes blue)

my PC seriously has some problems haha.
but so fare no problems on after 1s day on 2 stick's of RAM.

again, thanks guys

JCG
02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Yes, they appear in the error message. However, they're hard to locate in the event viewer; there is too much into there.

Since you're in Windows 7, right click on the little white golf flag, near the clock and select "Open Action Center." Then click on the little, round "V" button near Mainenance. That will display a link to the "View reliability history."

There, you can click on any day that has red "critical events" and it will show you the BSOD codes, if any.

danielkaiser
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes, they appear in the error message. However, they're hard to locate in the event viewer; there is too much into there.

Since you're in Windows 7, right click on the little white golf flag, near the clock and select "Open Action Center." Then click on the little, round "V" button near Mainenance. That will display a link to the "View reliability history."

There, you can click on any day that has red "critical events" and it will show you the BSOD codes, if any.

Thanks for the tip, same info but in a easier to digest format. :bowdown:

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM

aah cool thanks

yep here it is
on 24/02/2011 22:07
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000044, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8800487f8c1)."

i am asuming that the BSOD

MiniFireDragon
02-26-2011, 10:17 AM
aah cool thanks

yep here it is
on 24/02/2011 22:07
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000044, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8800487f8c1)."

i am asuming that the BSOD

The blue screen would have the same information on it when it pops, sometimes the crash doesn't allow the event to be written in the event viewer. Then you can trace that.

But, there are viruses that put up a "fake" blue screen and the PC really is not broken. They just turn off the desktop icons, start bar and replace the backdrop.

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
i do hope its not a virus.
what do you mean i can "trace that" ("Then you can trace that")

thanks

JCG
02-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Eww, 0xD1: Irql not less than or equal.

That can be hard to track down because any kernel process that tries to access pageable memory with an IRQL that is too high can cause it. That means that any defective or corrupt driver, even a keyboard driver, can cause it.

However, since you reinstalled the OS, we can (-almost-) discard the drivers as being the cause. (There's still a chance that you installed again the same old driver but, with Win7, I don't expect you'll have very old drivers available, even if you wanted them.) That still leaves four main possibilities that can cause an irql error while accessing memory. In order of likelyhood:
- A connected USB device.
- A loose (improperly seated) or faulty memory stick.
- A swollen motherboard capacitor.
- A defective CPU

With the quality of today's CPUs and if you have a motherboard from a good brand, those two are MUCH less likely than the first two. You can even visually inspect the motherboard for swollen capacitors, to be sure, but I'd be very surprised if Cyberpower didn't use Japanese or solid capacitors (which are very solid, no pun intended).

If the problem happens when no USB devices are attached, the chances are huge that a memory stick needs to be re-seated or replaced.

If you reinstalled Windows from a bootable CD and it still happened, then it's not a virus.

oliversimonnet
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Eww, 0xD1: Irql not less than or equal.

That can be hard to track down because any kernel process that tries to access pageable memory with an IRQL that is too high can cause it. That means that any defective or corrupt driver, even a keyboard driver, can cause it.

However, since you reinstalled the OS, we can (-almost-) discard the drivers as being the cause. (There's still a chance that you installed again the same old driver but, with Win7, I don't expect you'll have very old drivers available, even if you wanted them.) That still leaves four main possibilities that can cause an irql error while accessing memory. In order of likelyhood:
- A connected USB device.
- A loose (improperly seated) or faulty memory stick.
- A swollen motherboard capacitor.
- A defective CPU

With the quality of today's CPUs and if you have a motherboard from a good brand, those two are MUCH less likely than the first two. You can even visually inspect the motherboard for swollen capacitors, to be sure, but I'd be very surprised if Cyberpower didn't use Japanese or solid capacitors (which are very solid, no pun intended).

If the problem happens when no USB devices are attached, the chances are huge that a memory stick needs to be re-seated or replaced.

If you reinstalled Windows from a bootable CD and it still happened, then it's not a virus.

OK from what you have just told me.
- I have an intel quad core i7 CPU, and a Intel X58 Chipset (motherboard)
- Ok at the moment i constantly have a USB keyboard, mouse and Seperate HD snserted in my desctop. so im not sure if its them.
- Presently i have taken out one of my Ram sticks and so fare so good. So im still not sure if its the RAM.

Im not 100% what my point is haha completely forgot after i wrote that. ( :) )

brwainer
02-27-2011, 10:15 PM
just to chime in, "Intel X58 chipset" is not answer to the statement, "A swollen motherboard capacitor...You can even visually inspect the motherboard for swollen capacitors" You can open up your computer and look for any capacitors that are bulged upwards or outwards, or otherwise misshapen. You can also look for any burn marks on the Integrated Circuit (IC) chips and/or resistors but that might be hard to see if it exists and is highly improbable.

oliversimonnet
02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
@brwainer:
there doesn't seem to be any burn marks or and swollen motherboard capacitor's
Also day 4 on -1 stick of RAM and so fare so good, but i did get an error message yesterday whilst trying to pass a folder to my seperate HD it, i cant remember what it said, something like cannot move the folder or something like that and it had a error code which began with "0x"

brwainer
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
sounds like you found your main problem. if you put the card back it, make sure it is pressed down the same amount at both ends as all you other memory cards are. your new error is most likely something else, but you might want to wait until the 1- or 2-week mark before putting it back to be sure that the memory card was causing your crashes. Also make sure all your drivers are up to date by checking windows update in the optional area and the hardware manufacturers' websites.

oliversimonnet
03-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I do hope that is the problem.
but yeah day...lost count now, but still no BSOD. going well.
yeah i am planing on giving it another week or so before putting it back in.

If the error does appeares, i still need to do the same thing with my other sticks or RAM right? put it back in and take the next one out?

oliversimonnet
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
ok im not sure how long its been but i think over two weeks now and no BSOD so fare.
DO you think its safe to put the stick of RAM back in now? :D

Lightwolf
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
If you do, test it with http://www.memtest.org/ first - mind you, that can certainly take a few hours.

Cheers,
Mike

oliversimonnet
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks for the link
what is that.
waht does it doo?
"it may take a few hours" can i leave it over night or is it something you have to whach?

thanks again :)

Lightwolf
03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
thanks for the link
what is that.
waht does it doo?
Looking at the name I'd assume it tests your memory ;)

Basically, it writes and reads across the complete memory, checking if what it reads matches what it has written.

"it may take a few hours" can i leave it over night or is it something you have to whach?
You can leave it running overnight. Mind you, if your memory is extremely bad then you should see the first errors after a couple of minutes.

Cheers,
Mike

oliversimonnet
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
aah ok thnaks
what if there are errors haha
i wana get redy for what might come lol otherwise il probably panic haha

Lightwolf
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
aah ok thnaks
what if there are errors haha

Chuck the memory (or send it back if you have warranty) and buy some new modules.

Luckily it's not too expensive nowadays...

Cheers,
Mike

oliversimonnet
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
ooh wow that sucks
I have a 2 year warenty with cyberpowers on my PC so hopefully they will replace it.
only had it since July haha.

again thanks :)

Sarford
03-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Always buy your own memory from a named brand, you'll get (most likley) a lifetime warranty so you just send it in to be replaced for free if broken.
If you let you PC or Mac suplier add the memory when ordering a new system, you only get one year of warranty (depending on the conditions) on your memory, and it is more expensive.

lardbros
03-11-2011, 06:40 AM
I've seen sooooo many odd BSOD issues in my time...

1. My parent's machine had one repeatedly, and it was due to the external USB modem... it was really old, and despite not needing drivers, it used to cause BSOD when it was plugged in... and it was very random too.

2. My girlfriend's parent's machine was Blue-screening when I was trying to re-install windows, it turned out to be a KVM switch... how weird!

3. Having a TV-card in one PCI slot... blue-screened all of the time... but moved it over, and it was fine! (Until Windows released SP3 on XP... that ruined that TV-Card)