PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3D 10 review in 3D World magazine issue 140

Paul_Boland
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Folks.

3D World issue 140 has reviewed Lightwave 3D 10. Overall it's a good review but there are some issues with Lightwave 10 which the review did pick up on. Here are some highlights from it...

"Newtek then announced a next generation of Lighwave called CORE. This isn't that Lightwave."

"...the Viewport Preview Renderer, VPR, which transforms any 3D viewport into a rapid interactive renderer that can have snapshots saved from it - meaning that often you won't even need to hit [F9]."

"Another addition to Layout is the Virtual Studio tool. It's an interesting concept for those with the oppertunity to exploit it. Imagine a hydra with an animator for each head and someone else controlling the camera that's filiming it, all in one copy of Lightwave."

"Support for 3Dconnexion's 3D mice is a welcome inclusion to Layout."

"Lightwave is still hampered by the fact that it uses a different rotation order to other prominent applications, making transferring higher-level animation between Lightwave and other packages less easy the it should be."

"The major problem with Lightwave 10 is the documentation. It's an ugly mix of the manuals from 7, 8 and 9 with new bits from 10 thrown in. Screenshots aren't uniformly updated and often the text refers to an older way of achieveing a task that hasn't been possible for a number of years. Some of the new features can't be found easily or at all, and the page layout is haphazard and inconsistent."

"Our main concern with this version is that Newtek finishes what it started and these new features don't wither on the vine like MotionMixer or IKBooster have done."

There is a boxout at the bottom of the first page about CORE. Here is what it says...

"What about CORE?

CORE was originally annoucned in February 2009 and was expected to be released by the end of 2010, as reported in 3D World 133, but the decision was wisely taken to keep it in beta and temporarily switch focus to a new version of Lightwave 3D.

CORE will featrure a modifier stack, history and the ability to nodally connect anything to anything in the same fashion as Houdini, but for those outside Newtek's HardCORE programme it's all been a bit of a damp squib after the excitement of the initial two-week viral compaign."

The verdict box at the end of the review reads...

"Pro's:
End-to-end linear workflow.
VPR feature speeds up texturing and lighting immensely.
Good looking new UI.
Extensive bug fixes throughout.

Con's:
The manual is extremely poor.
A difficult decision if you already have 9.6 and FPrime.
Still no major Modeler update.

Conclusion:
Lightwave 10 isn't a huge update, but it's one that we hope will be consolidated over the course of this version."

Matt
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Yep, we've seen it.

wrench
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I was beginning to think no-one read 3D World any more (Darth Mole, you there?) :)

B

Lewis
02-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Well it seems they said all the right facts about it and that's the way it really is, all true :).

jeric_synergy
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
That synopsis seems really dead on.

I'm also enthused that so many things that need attention are getting attention under the new management, although a long road is ahead. And NTek's tradition of free "point" upgrades bodes well, although I'd hate to be their accountants.

OnlineRender
02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I've not been down to Menzies yet , just curious who wrote the feature ?

wrench
02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
/me coughs...

B

OnlineRender
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
/me coughs...

B

chuckles to himself .

Paul_Boland
02-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I was beginning to think no-one read 3D World any more (Darth Mole, you there?) :)

B

I've been with the magazine since issue 1, have every issue, love it, am a subscriber. It was a great review you wrote, cheers!!

Andrewstopheles
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
This thread is getting spammed

lino.grandi
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
This thread is getting spammed

No more! ;)

The Dommo
02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Shame about the typo's - did it go to press with those...?

OnlineRender
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Shame about the typo's - did it go to press with those...?

I don't think its word for word ! I think Paul copy and pasted old skool

wrench
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I are propper good in Inglish and mack know speling mistooks. (Although I am reading Riddley Walker right now and boy is that book tough going...)

B

Cageman
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
"Lightwave is still hampered by the fact that it uses a different rotation order to other prominent applications, making transferring higher-level animation between Lightwave and other packages less easy the it should be."

Hmm..

While LW does suffer from a locked down rotation order, it does work if you know how to do it. To be totally honest here, I've seen those other apps (Maya and Max in particular) producing results not worthy importing into Motionbuilder, so this is clearly an issue not just related to a locked down rotationorder, even if that does make things worse. :)

Also, the new rotationorder motionmodifier that is applied when importing an FBX actually works really well. No more eulerflips or other weird things that used to happen with older versions of FBX when you transfered worldspace rotations in particular. I think that this is a good compromize regarding classic LW and how much work it would require to get it out of this limitation. In my honest opinion, I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble, especially now with that motionmodifier. It is better to focus on CORE and making sure it doesn't have a locked down rotationorder. :)

Obviously, if you are dealing with polygons and are not limited to any constraints related to game-engines, there is little or no point in using FBX or Collada; vertexcaches will tranfer very well and the fact that LW10 supports both MC and MDD is very valuable. I think it stinks hard that Autodesk still havn't implemented a native way of dealing with MDDs.

For gods sake, even ZBrush supports MDDs these days.

:)

OnlineRender
02-28-2011, 04:10 AM
I are propper good in Inglish and mack know speling mistooks. (Although I am reading Riddley Walker right now and boy is that book tough going...)

B

wellcome too may world , I right good England :D