PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help

GoceN
10-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Anobody can tell me why when I do a slow motion or a strobe efects in toaster edit the picture goes blured and quality of the picture goes down for I dont know but I think that its about 20%.

JReble
10-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Yes that is correct. When you change the speed of clips the clips gets fuzzy and the quality of the video goes all to hell. What's up with that? Is this being corrected?

Jim_C
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Boy would I like to disagree, but I can't.
RTV pretty as can be, drop it to 20% and it's like I've had a 6 pack.
(From what I remember..)

T3 and the new patch..

blargh

MediaSig
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
just checked.......blech!!

I've hardly used Slomo since upgrading to VT3 - has it always looked this bad?

:(
Greg

Jim_C
10-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Well now that I am experimenting, some look bad and some are OK looking. All are RTV.

hmmm...

maybe Ive been looking too hard, need to take a break...

ScorpioProd
10-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Well, I've always lived with the rule of NEVER go slower than 51% if you don't want it to look crappy.

This was the rule in VT[2], has it changed in VT[3]???

Steve Thompson
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
My computer is in the shop now getting upgraded to VT3 along with a few other bells & whistles.

I hope that the slo-mo does work in VT3 as I do a lot of sports videos (currently football) and slow motion is a big part of my production.

I remember my VT2 could never go below 40% without starting to look junky so please let me know, anyone, if this feature is working in VT3 or not working for them.

Thank you,
Steve

GoceN
10-02-2003, 01:25 AM
So I'm not the only one with this problem.
Imagine the client siting right next to me and we doing a music video editing and before my mouth was full how VT it's uncompresed etc. etc and how he can find enywhere the best editing as I have and sodunly he like to do slow motion of a clip and all blow to hell, and now I'm thinking to sold my VT and go back to Matrox.

DAMN :mad:

JesusLovesU
10-02-2003, 01:40 AM
Maintain a good ratio of speed change for best result, eg. 200%

Try to compose the video in After Effect or Combustion, as slow-motion video need more adjustments, and sometimes need some special effects. That is the reason to recommend using composition software instead of video-editing software.

Jim_C
10-02-2003, 08:23 AM
You can get really smooth slo mo's by throwing a render in there.
Set speed to 50 or above, render that then do a slo mo on that again of 50 or above.

Sure it's rendering, but...sighhhhh

Steve Thompson
10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

I have usually done time stretching in Aura in the past with good results.

One of the features I was/am looking forward to in VT3 is the speed ramping capabilities like you see in a lot of commercials today.

Hopefully, this feature as well as slow motion or fast motion or whatever speed will be improved upon.

Steve

Jim_C
10-02-2003, 10:50 AM
The ability to speed ramp with the splines is there and awesome.
The quality is the iffy part.

After trying a bunch of clips at different speeds yesterday I can say.. I dunno.
It was never beautiful below 30 thats for sure, but some clips looked really good while others were no where near broadcast quality.

ted
10-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Some clips with lot's of camera motion or detail moving just won't translate to slo-mo very well.
That's about half the problem with slo-mo.

Andrew made some major improvements in slo-mo about a year ago, but there are probably systems that can do smother slo-mo, and I've seen systems that can't touch VT3's slo-mo.

JReble
10-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Yes, but the field motion or record quality of your subject video is not the issue. It is clear that adjusting the speed on clips has a negative impact on the clarity of that clip whatever the original looked like. There is either bluring or artifacting going on with slowed down clips, which is strange if it's all supposed to be uncompressed. I can get better looking slo-mo shuttling my DVCam deck while recording.

Jim_C
10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
>> I can get better looking slo-mo shuttling my DVCam deck while recording.

Agree, I do the same here alot but with a BetaCamSP BVW 75.
Awesome slo mo and speed ramping grabbing that big ole knob and twisting.
But I would think a hardware at source slo mo should just about always be cleaner than a software induced one. Just an opinion.

eon5
10-03-2003, 09:04 AM
I need to do timewarp with this characteristic:

- with frame
- with fields
- with frame blending

Any help is welcome :)

pd: VT3 patched here

MediaSig
10-06-2003, 02:41 PM
I agree Eon.

These options would be great even if I have to render.

Heck...GOOD LOOKING Slomo would be great...EVEN IF I HAD TO RENDER!

Greg

mrceolla
10-10-2003, 07:31 AM
You guys are lucky you only get that degredation when you do slo-mo. I get it sometimes from simply cutting up a large DV file.

Anyway, I have noticed that you can restore the original quality of the clip if you enable overlay. You'll loose some motion smoothness in slo-mos, but the image should be crisp again and with correct color.

Hope that helps some.

Mike