PDA

View Full Version : File Workflow lengthy

dannyskarka
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
A 30 minute show in an XD300 is about 20 gigs. Using the Firewire drive on the back, it takes about 30 minutes to get the file out of the Tricaster. Then it needs to be converted to something FinalCut can use. It's not an efficient workflow.

Has anyone come up with a better way? Priority would be getting the file out of the Tricaster since we can't tear it down after a show until that happens.

Thanks

SBowie
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Priority would be getting the file out of the Tricaster since we can't tear it down after a show until that happensJust as a test, I just moved a 7gig file from the D drive to an eSATA drive - it took me 1 minute and 18 seconds. That's pretty decent transfer speed, I think.

wftiv
03-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Why not edit it in SpeedEDIT. Maybe the 300 does not come with it, but the 850 does so I would assume it is there for your use. What can Final Cut do that SpeedEDIT can't?

Jim_C
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
[Edited by moderator].

is that more of what you would expect?

SBowie
03-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Whatever anyone else might expect, I expect a modicum of professional courtesy. Tone doesn't always come off as intended in a post, so it's easy for feathers to be ruffled unintentionally, but let's rein it in, please. I'd rather not lock this thread.

dannyskarka
03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
We have gone with an eSata drive to get the files out which has speeded things up.

Editing in SpeedEDIT doesn't work with our workflow. It requires Tricaster to be setup and there is only one Tricaster. All posting is done with Apple ProApps here, which is more industry standard then SpeedEDIT and is what the students are taught to use.

pro---studio
03-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Just buy a KIPro mini. It records in Prores and you can connect it via HDSDI to your TC.

You can start editing right away. It records on Flash cards - so inexpensive and reliable.

That would be the best recommendation in your case.

Cheers

Pro.

joseburgos
03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Just buy a KIPro mini. It records in Prores and you can connect it via HDSDI to your TC.

You can start editing right away. It records on Flash cards - so inexpensive and reliable.

That would be the best recommendation in your case.

Cheers

Pro.

I just did two days of shows for a client that needed Pro Res out on the spot. I used the Ki Pro with 500 Gig media drive (two of them so I can swap), not the mini, and it worked great at giving the client exactly what they wanted, instant access to the recording in Pro Res format.

DrVideo
05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
The thing of it is, After spending thousands of dollars on a Tricaster, I shouldn't have to spend more money on a 3rd party workaround to get a high quality digital file that I can edit in Final Cut Pro.

bbeanan
05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
The thing of it is, After spending thousands of dollars on a Tricaster, I shouldn't have to spend more money on a 3rd party workaround to get a high quality digital file that I can edit in Final Cut Pro.

But you are asking it to do something that was never part of the TriCaster deal. No where in any sales lit does it say you can take the files directly out of the TriCaster right into Final Cut. So I have to disagree yes you should have to spend additional money.

It is like saying I just bought a new camera with a stock lens and now I want to shoot a Football game from back of the stadium they should give me a longer lens for free cause I paid so much for the camera (boy I wish it worked that way)

a AJA KiPro is your best bet right now (but they are not very cheap).... BUT if you can wait a month or two Blackmagic has their HyperDeck Studio they are releasing that is only $1k and with the hot swappable hard drives you have unlimited non-stop recording ability. (I think I saw that it will be shipping June or July)
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckstudio/

Or like others said why not edit in SpeedEdit personally I run circles around every Final Cut, AVID, Vegas or Premiere editor I have encountered. Last job I was on they had 2 FC editors and me on SE... after we finished they had 3 SE editors...