PDA

View Full Version : HV's not following points

Nangleator
02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
I've got a little problem. I created some points, to represent bits of fluff on the tip of an object. The tip heats up and it blows the fluff off.

So I created the fluff as points in Modeler, and used a collision object set to event, to gradually make the points fall away. This is working quite well.

And I set up HV surfaces on the points to make them into bits of fluff. Still working great.

However, the HV's render only at the starting point of my points of fluff, and then they never move away. I know that HV's will follow actual particles, and I figured they would also follow what is essentially a deforming geometry, right?

But they are not. My points fall away, leaving HV's without points inside them, stuck to their starting points.

Frustrating.

Do I have to make an emitter to make this work?

4dartist
02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I tried just to see, and the HVs do stick to the points of an object even when deformed by a deformation map, but once I used softFX dynamics it stopped working, same with hardFX. I'm guessing, cloth, soft FX, hard FX, or any dynamics won't work.

You could try exporting an mdd file and see if they hypervoxels will follow that.

You could also make your object to be an emitter, than have it emit particles for just 1 frame that last the entire animation. and use those. I think there are options to pick that make them come from the actual points if you really needed them to be attacked to where your objects vertices are. You'll most likely want to collide with the particles at that point instead of still trying to deform the emitter or anything because the particles will already be emitted.

Ben

Nangleator
02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
It was HardFX, and I saved the motion, thinking that had something to do with it. Still didn't work. All these years, and I never saw that problem...

Okay, I'll make an emitter object to emit from polygons.

Thanks!

3DGFXStudios
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
You might have to add FX_Metalink_morph too, to make it work. or Hv deform or something...not really sure what it was....

Nangleator
02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Wow, I tried something semi-clever. I turned the HV's off on the moving points, and made the points themselves be emitters. One particle per point.

I thought that was clever, until I realized to turn HV's on, for the particles emitted from the points... well, the particles and the points are considered the same object, in that case. And so I'd still have the HV's representing the points sitting in the same place as in frame zero.

Actually, no. It works now. Don't ask me how.

Oh, and I had to use a moving wind emitter to get the particles to move, since you can't set up HardFX with an Event for particles.

prometheus
02-25-2011, 05:45 AM
I have no problems with getting hv:s following cloth fx objects wich are affected by winds, nor does hard fx it seems, and that is with voxels directly applied on the geometry vertices.

you could try and save the mdd file out load it in again and set playback mode to local.

for cloth fx I could have some issues depending on how I set the dislplacement orders, you use last, then you probably would have to save out mdd and playback mode to local for voxels to follow properly.

Edit...ps Nangleator...can you post a simple sample of the scene, if it doesn work out? for me to test?

Michael

prometheus
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Indeed ..here´s a simple sample, a ball and hv sprites applied.
hardfx on the ball wich have unwelded points, a dynamic collision object set to event, and when the ball hits the collision you get the points destroyed...when calculating and trying to render the simulation the hv:s will only follow the points if you save the hardfx motion out to bdd, and set the playback mode to local.

its all in the scene file...check the voxels with viper.

Michael

Nangleator
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks, prometheus!

My project was cancelled after all that. But it all goes in the memory banks...