PDA

View Full Version : Any UPS recommendations?

JeffrySG
02-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I was looking for any UPS (uninterrupted power supply) recommendations. Right now it would be only for one workstation, printer, monitor and scanner but it would be nice to have something able to support two workstations if possible. I haven't purchased one in about 15 years so I'm really out of the loop as far as what's good out there.

My computer is a MacPro 1,1 (2006) - not sure how much power it's drawing....

Not looking to spend much more than $200 or so unless there was a really compelling reason to spend more. ;)

Thanks all! :)

I was looking at this one from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP1500AVRLCD-UPS-Display-8-Outlet/dp/B000FBK3QK/) as it seemed like it was getting nice reviews.

kojean
02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I have an APC BR1500G which has worked well.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G

brwainer
02-24-2011, 05:50 AM
I would trust anything from APC. They have a warranty that basically says that if your equipment, plugged into an APC UPS (properly grounded) gets fried, they'll replace it and try to recover your data. At least that's what the card that came with my ES 750 said. About $100 for ~15 minutes running computer, two monitors, and an external HD.

Lito
02-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah same here, APC is my first choice for a UPS, you can get alternative ones (I have used Cyberlink and belkin also) and they work well for a bit less money generally but if I want to be sure with software compatibility and generally better build quality, I go with APC.

Tzan
02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I like APC, however...

If you have a Dell computer from 2009 or more recent, they are using a type of power supply that requires a pure sine wave. The home style APC I got for $110 did a stepped sine wave and when it kicked in my system shut down.

I dont think all the Dell models have them, just some.

So I checked out the prices on the sine wave models.
I ended up with a CyberPower 1100 for $250.
The APC models were all over $300.

So now I have a $110 APC door stop.
The CyberPower works fine.

JeffrySG
02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I like APC, however...

If you have a Dell computer from 2009 or more recent, they are using a type of power supply that requires a pure sine wave. The home style APC I got for $110 did a stepped sine wave and when it kicked in my system shut down.

I dont think all the Dell models have them, just some.

So I checked out the prices on the sine wave models.
I ended up with a CyberPower 1100 for $250.
The APC models were all over $300.

So now I have a $110 APC door stop.
The CyberPower works fine.

I do remember reading about issues with a stepped sine wave with some systems. Thanks for reminding me! :)

After thinking about it I think I'm going to go with this one from cyberpower (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/adaptive-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html). It has a pure sine wave and it's just a tad over $200. It is also mac compatible (for the ups software) which is good for me. Thanks for your input everyone.

JonW
02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I have an MGE Evolution S 3.0kva 2700watts with 2 EXB battery units which I added later. The S model you can add up to 4 extra battery units. You do have to leave it running continuously to trickle charge. If not the batteries go flat, I think in about a week. The model without the S you can't add extra batteries.

This is a sine wave unit, the typical UPS only have 60% efficiency (1.0kva input 600watts output) this model is 90%.

I found the 3 fans in the UPS a bit loud, but it is under my desk. I replaced the fans with some Noctua fans, the wiring polarity was a bit different but it wasn't too much effort to change.

If you have the UPS in a different room then noise won't be an issue. The other problem I have is the room I work in also gets dusty with other work. I had to pull the cover off the UPS & vacuum it once because the UPS part was off line, But I clean it twice a year now to make sure it's ok.

The UPS is a 2U & extra batteries are 3U. You need about another 70mm at the back for cables for both units.

http://powerquality.eaton.com/EVLSI3000-XL3U.aspx?CX=101

Also don't run down the batteries to less than 30% or you will shorten their life!
I also got a proper lightning protector. Eaton sell these, I think they were a few $100, but when you are spending a few thousand it's worthwhile. I have a few hours of rendering with the W5580 with a blackout, or 20 minutes with the entire system rendering.

JeffrySG
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Jon. That does look like a great ups. It's probably a little more than I need for now though. :)

JonW
02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
We get a lot of black outs for 30 to 60 minutes in general but it has been better lately & also brown outs & being able to work through them gives me piece of mind. Just make sure you take the kva & watts into consideration.